Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heninger & Associates Door Torsion Units

Quote Originally Posted by MattDavid View Post
    We can weld that end up the way you want when you come up to install your stainless alternator tensioner.
    I have a welder. (I've also got a 180 amp stick welder on the truck). They may not make the prettiest welds in the world, but I can join two pieces of steel together such that they never come apart.

Bill Robertson

When did Byrne come out with the other side? I thought he only had the driver's side. Man, I wish I had the money to buy a pair of these to keep on the shelf for when (not if) my original torsion bars snap or give up. Wow!

I got the first one. Guessing it was welded up last week.

Have you ever seen a spring wound in that direction (coils spiraling counter clockwise)? Byrne claims these springs are custom wound for him. Since springs on both sides otherwise match, appears he is telling the truth.

Bill Robertson

It sure looks good. I wish I had the money so I could buy a pair and have that peace of mind. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare of anything right now... not even a spare fuel pump.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    What's the out the door price on the pair?
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    I also bought a set of these bars to keep as backup. They were around $900 for the set. With rumors of Byrne's retirement, I decided I'd better get a set before they were no longer available. It seems now he's staying in business for the time being. Oh well, now I have piece of mind.
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 10-17-2016 at 01:36 AM.

VIN
    I finally got around to installing my set this morning.

The driver side installed perfect and I got the tension just right on the first try. I'm a very happy camper with the driver side.

Unfortunately, the passenger side isn't square on the end that goes into the door hinge. I was able to install it, but the second I shut the door it rotated inside the hinge and made a popping noise. The end of the shaft on the passenger side unit needs to be square.

I am going to have to find someone that can weld it and then I'll file it to be perfectly square. Otherwise, it will just slip again.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
    On September 22, 2019 I will be participating in Bike MS to raise funds and awareness for people affected by Multiple Sclerosis.

Please consider making a donation, any size helps, by clicking the link below. Anything you give goes towards helping people with MS. I do not receive one penny of your donation. Thanks.

https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...al&fr_id=30202

VIN
    Wow that doesn't even look close to a square. That sucks. I wish I had a passenger side bar to give you.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325iS - March 1988 build
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12 - December 1981 build

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Wow that doesn't even look close to a square. That sucks. I wish I had a passenger side bar to give you.
    It's pretty bad. I'm sure if Heninger was in business today, he would replace it in a heart beat. Unfortunately he closed up shop a couple of years ago for health reasons. I wouldn't dare call him up to talk about something like this when he has real problems to worry about. He may not even be alive anymore for all I know. He was 84 years old when I purchased this part and that was at least three years ago.

No worries though. My dad is a retired welder and he is convinced it will be fine after I get someone to weld some metal on there to file down.
    On September 22, 2019 I will be participating in Bike MS to raise funds and awareness for people affected by Multiple Sclerosis.

Please consider making a donation, any size helps, by clicking the link below. Anything you give goes towards helping people with MS. I do not receive one penny of your donation. Thanks.

https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...al&fr_id=30202

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    It's pretty bad. I'm sure if Heninger was in business today, he would replace it in a heart beat. Unfortunately he closed up shop a couple of years ago for health reasons. I wouldn't dare call him up to talk about something like this when he has real problems to worry about. He may not even be alive anymore for all I know. He was 84 years old when I purchased this part and that was at least three years ago.

No worries though. My dad is a retired welder and he is convinced it will be fine after I get someone to weld some metal on there to file down.
    I had heard he was no longer in business and his health was the primary reason. At least you have a plan to make it work.

You wrote the driver's side went in without a cinch; does it bounce at the top of its travel? I just watched the video at the beginning of this thread and the door seemed to bounce quite a bit. I plan on being a wuss and torqueing the replacement bars as weakly as possible that will still open the doors at least halfway, if I have to use some arm strength to open the doors fully so be it.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325iS - March 1988 build
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12 - December 1981 build