Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Replacement Alternator

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN

Best Replacement Alternator

Hey guys,

I'm still rockin the original 80 amp Ducillier alternator that came with my car from Dunmurray. Even though it hasn't ever left me stranded and shows no signs of quitting, I thought that it might be best to procure a back-up just-in-case. And as I won't be going with another NOS Ducillier, I considered this to be a custom replacement/modification, but if not, feel free to move to the 'General' discussion section.

So, I'm wondering what you all think is the best alternator replacement, and why.

Thanks!
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    I've been happy with my 1991 Saturn alternator. I think I paid about $100 for it. I prefer buying stuff like alternators and starters from Autozone because they come with a lifetime warranty. Should I be on a road trip and experience an alternator failure, I would simply pull into Autozone and replace it for free.

You can't do that as quickly with a vendor part if you are on a road trip.

Check out my cross reference parts list for the details if you are interested in the details.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=1
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I've been happy with my 1991 Saturn alternator. I think I paid about $100 for it. I prefer buying stuff like alternators and starters from Autozone because they come with a lifetime warranty. Should I be on a road trip and experience an alternator failure, I would simply pull into Autozone and replace it for free.

You can't do that as quickly with a vendor part if you are on a road trip.

Check out my cross reference parts list for the details if you are interested in the details.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=1
    Thanks Steve - that's a good point about lifetime warranty and ease of exchangeability while on the road!

Is the Saturn a straight bolt up, or is modification / fabrication of mounting bracketry necessary? What about the pulley?

I noticed that the Saturn alternator is rated at 96 amps. Is there a benefit to the higher output alternators like the 120+ amp ones offered by Hervey, DMCH, etc?

Anyone know what DPI offers in regards to the alternator?

I suppose that I should mention that I plan on installing a multi-amplifier 9 channel stereo system with subwoofer in my car, hopefully this winter and before DCS 2014.

--Josh S.

VIN
    There are some small modifications needed which I mention on the cross reference list. You need a smaller bolt for mounting it, you need to swap the pulley from your old one (in your case you might not need to) and a spacer is needed to get the thing to mount properly. It really is pretty simple.

You might needed the larger alternator for your sound system. I'm just running a cheap sony head unit without an amp or subwoofer. The 96 amp unit is working fine for me.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Thanks for the follow up - good to know!

--Josh S.

I'm running a 100 amp Volvo unit of some sort from Autozone (1985 260 perhaps?). Ears matched up in the photo and terminals in the back were recognizable. Swapped over the pulley from my old Motorola. The Motorola had a plastic woodruff key, so I replaced it with a metal one (it's some weird metric size -- file off a few microns from a domestic key to fit in the slot).

My car only draws 62 amps @ 2,000 RPM with everything on except the power windows

so pretty much any alternator would work.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Did you even need to use a spacer? My Saturn alternator is doing fine but I had to make a space so it would fit the engine bracket.

There were a variety of spacers and slotted shims behind the Motorola's fan blades. Can't remember exactly what I used -- whatever was necessary to line everything up. I may have used a washer or two as well. You need slotted shims or washers around the woodruff key.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Thanks for the base line power consumption reference Bill! Would power consumption be similar in a stock car? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask if you have any idea as to what the difference is between your car and a stock/OEM setup.

What's everyone's opinion of Byrne's alternator?

http://deloreannewparts.com/store/page21.html

While I like the idea of Martin G's 110A Valeo alternator, the cost from him is prohibitive, as at current exchange rates it would work out to $341.94 plus shipping/import duties.

110A Valeo alternator, as fitted to last generation PRV Renaults. Direct plug-in replacement for the early Ducellier, and a very simple additional wire for replacing a Motorola. Do not confuse this unit with small high-output units from the US that use a smaller pulley to increase output at idle, and are designed for ECU control. This is entirely self contained and allows the use of an LED for the battery light. 229 including UK shipping
    http://www.delorean.co.uk/parts.html (towards the bottom of the page)

Anyone know the part number for the Valeo alternator that Martin's selling?

Thanks!

--Josh S.

If memory serves, the GM cross-reference is of a CS-130 type. There are a few places out there (re)manufacturing high-output alternators in the original CS-130 casings. For example, here is one available in 105 or 140 amps.

Of course, it's hard to argue with a lifetime warranty, so I think when my Houston alternator dies I'll go with one from AutoZone.

P.S. Check the specs from the above link: 140-amp alternator is rated as 90 amps at 2400 RPM at 77F...