Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You would think I would just buy a real goat to eat the grass.

VIN
    Blog Entries

You would think I would just buy a real goat to eat the grass.

After 16 years of pushing the yard (hey I didn't mind the exercise), I got myself a little rider. I had been looking half hearted for something for leaf season since I was very tired of doing it with my push mower and a rake and we do have a LOT of leaves. I needed something small enough to fit through the gate and still have a bagger...oh and I wanted something that screamed 80's.

Found it Sunday. Had to drive to Knoxville to get it. Here she is after detailing today. I had to pit a new battery on it (had a spare from my bike) and still have a few tire valve stems and a grease cap to buy before I mow with it but I took it for a spin today anyway. Can't wait to try it out!

Here are a few pics. Got it from the original owner who bought it new in the early 90's.

20200803_172500.jpg
    20200803_172627.jpg
    20200803_172833.jpg
    20200803_172209.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Three rules of DeLorean ownership:
    1: Always use the right tool for the job.
    2: A hammer is always the right tool for the job.
    3: Anything can be used as a hammer.

Nice, though I do feel a little bummed you're depriving yourself of exercise. I still wonder how you find so many classic things in such good condition.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by sedated View Post
    Nice, though I do feel a little bummed you're depriving yourself of exercise. I still wonder how you find so many classic things in such good condition.

Whatever he touches turns to awesomeness.
    Bro....do you own a DeLorean?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Not so much to duck out of exercise. The leaves are really bad as I have many large trees in my back yard and the wind blows from that direction mostly at night...mostly.

In fact I just talked to my buddy and we are getting the roadies dusted off since my running has been sidelined due to planterius fasciitis (did I spell that right Rich?) so we will be doing more biking anyway.

The mower was in very good condition but needed a proper cleaning. Lots of grease and gunk over the years on the case and frame but that made an excellent rust inhibitor and after some buffing and wax it looked great. I originally was looking for a Simplicity Sovereign from the mid 70's because that's what I learned and mowed on for years as a kid but it would have been too big for my fence gate and I don't think a bagger was avaliable for those. When this one popped up, it just kinda spoke to me.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Whatever he touches turns to awesomeness.
    Ha ha! I should touch myself.

VIN
    Yet another thing my grandfather had a penchant for. Apart from buying a new boat, Peugeot and tractor every few years, he'd also buy a ride on mower of similar vintage to this. Sometimes used to tow the boat if not the full size tractor.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

VIN
    Nice mower! I just got an Ariens snow blower this spring and they build quality stuff. The factory is in Brillion, WI which is pretty close by where I work in Appleton. I used to drive through Brillion all the time on my way to see my wife (girlfriend at the time) when she was living in the eastern part of the state. I had all my DeLorean suspension parts powder coated by a shop in Brillion as well.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all. I have a soft spot for vintage equipment that's been looked after. I feel if it made it this far, it deserves to stay new. I got to mow the yard today. Judging by the grind, the blade looked like it had never been sharpened even once and that makes sense as they used it mainly for leaf control too. I didn't need to do much mechanical work. Oil was clean, plug was new. All I did was sharpen the blade and disable the seat safety. I still think the push mower makes the yard look better so I will still push it off but when leaf season starts, I will be ready. Around here, I can work 2 hours and the next day it looks like I didn't do anything. Now all I have to do is spend 15 or 20 minutes riding around every few days to keep the leaves at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Not so much to duck out of exercise. The leaves are really bad as I have many large trees in my back yard and the wind blows from that direction mostly at night...mostly.

In fact I just talked to my buddy and we are getting the roadies dusted off since my running has been sidelined due to planterius fasciitis (did I spell that right Rich?) so we will be doing more biking anyway.

The mower was in very good condition but needed a proper cleaning. Lots of grease and gunk over the years on the case and frame but that made an excellent rust inhibitor and after some buffing and wax it looked great. I originally was looking for a Simplicity Sovereign from the mid 70's because that's what I learned and mowed on for years as a kid but it would have been too big for my fence gate and I don't think a bagger was avaliable for those. When this one popped up, it just kinda spoke to me.

I wasn't thinking you were ducking out of work, the "new" me just loves to enjoy "built-in" exercise. Chores, errands or tasks that let you get in some exercise. Yard work, walking to the store instead of driving, parking far from the door... those kinds of things. It's just a free workout with a side benefit of getting something you want as well such as a pretty yard

VIN
    I wasn't thinking you were ducking out of work, the "new" me just loves to enjoy "built-in" exercise. Chores, errands or tasks that let you get in some exercise. Yard work, walking to the store instead of driving, parking far from the door... those kinds of things. It's just a free workout with a side benefit of getting something you want as well such as a pretty yard
    Yes, but if I walk to the store, I miss out on the smart-ass comments about my car being one of those fancy new DeLoreans.

(what I'm actually doing is weeding the yard, in a very half-asssed fashion, since it's a rental and all)