Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask Chad about Hitler, Nazis, and his BTTF tangents

VIN

Ask Chad about Hitler, Nazis, and his BTTF tangents

Other forums wouldn't dare allow freedom of speech but this one does. Lets try to keep things organized though. Since Chad has some unusual interests, perhaps he can use this thread to tell us all about himself.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I know that Adolf is upset that he can't carb his DeLorean, although, that video supposedly offended Dunmurry Dan on the other forum

Personally, I was laughing my ass off!

"You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Okay; where to start:

For the Nazi/Hitler aspect, I'm a collector of WWII uniforms; both US and German. I own multiples of each and have worn them, on occasion. I'm a member of one of the Midwest reenactor's groups. Just like Civil War reenacments, you need to have both sides present for a war.

I don't support or condone the actions of the Nazis, but I don't write off that they made significant contributions to modern life as we know it; the US space program, most of our medical knowledge about frostbite and many innovations in medical issue recognition and treatment, the highway system, the Olympic torch ceremony, Volkswagen, animal conservation; pending on your individual beliefs you can also add welfare and anti-smoking campaigns to the list as well.

That's not to say that they were RIGHT, but that they did have some good ideas.

My opinion on BTTF is, oddly enough, more controversial in the DeLorean community. I see that too many owners of DeLoreans are rabid fanboys who idolize time machine conversions and consider them to be an "enhancement" to the cars. I passionately disagree. There are too many out there that are slapped together and ruin what could have been a good DeLorean. Regardless of whether or not you're a fan of the conversion, it is, by literal definition, a downgrade to the car.

down·grade (doungrd)
    n.
    1. A descending slope, as in a road.
    2. A turn or trend downward.
    3. A decline, as in fortune, status, or condition: a neighborhood on the downgrade.
    tr.v. down·grad·ed, down·grad·ing, down·grades
    1. To lower the status or salary of.
    2. To minimize the importance, value, or reputation of. See Synonyms at decry, demote.

The BTTF mod reduces the already limited storage space of the car, decreases fuel efficiency, restricts serviceability, destroys irreplaceable parts of the car, in addition to subjective detraction such as destroying its aesthetics (some say they like the look, but do they REALLY like it or are they just fans of the movie and like that it reminds them of the movie?) and turning the car into a rolling source of jokes; if they do, in fact, roll. It's a fact that the mod does nothing more than add some lights and garbage to the car.

Those who are outspoken and go so far as to think that every car should be a BTTF conversion will complement any car they see and say that it looks good. I happen to have a near-photographic visual memory and can easily spot the differences between replicas and the movie car, having seen the film many times as a child. It bothers me more that people will praise a replica that starts off with the first DeLorean that they can get their hands on. The movie car was an '81, 5-speed, gray interior, grooved hood mid-year car. If you're starting out with an '82, black interior, automatic, then that's just lazy. Every part can be swapped to create an accurate base car; my DeLorean is almost a perfect example of that. It started its life as a black interior, 5-speed, gas flap hood car and, since the original interior was destroyed, I converted mine to a gray interior and grooved hood setup.

There are many that prey on individuals who want a movie car; one is an unscrupulous individual in Texas who will buy a barely-running $10,000.00 car, regardless of base configuration, will not set it up to match, and then proceed slap on a "close enough" kit without first addressing any of the mechanical issues that hinder the car before he sells it for upwards of $30,000.00.

There is also a strange hypocrisy in the DeLorean world; owners who whine about a barrage of BTTF jokes when out in the real-world, yet they make the same jokes to other owners online and complement others on how vague of a connection that they can make. These are people that you can't use the words "time" or "future" around without it turning into amateur comedy night. One individual was having a problem with his Thermo-time switch causing his car not to start and the first bit of advice was to hit his head against the steering wheel. Utterly useless as advice and nothing but a joke that served no helpful purpose. If you complain about these jokes when they're made to you at gas stations and car shows, why would you think it's so witty to reply to distressed owners with them when they ask for help?

One of the other things that I caught a LOT of flak for was, when asked for tips to minimize the jokes, I suggested to remove the BTTF-themed license plate from the car. I was lambasted for hating the movie and that it was just because I don't like BTTF (For the record, I think it's a good movie that's becoming more and more dated as time goes by; I certainly don't hate it.) and they then proceeded to criticize my advice. It was from a perspective that I had personally experienced. When I first got my car, I tried a BTTF plate; "BAKNTME" to be specific, to play along with it. When I switched to a different plate, the number of jokes I received fell dramatically. My advice was, however, taken as insulting what I've come to call, "The cult of BTTF" that worships the movie as some sort of holy prophecy and pray to it for being "the salvation of the DeLorean." (An actual quote from one of my past arguments, mind you.) They offered advice on how to get rid of flux capacitor comments by ADDING A FLUX CAPACITOR TO THE CAR!

I also adamantly believe that the DeLorean would have had its following as a car without the film; like the Bricklin presently has. Bricklins have no feature film centering around the cars and still have a dedicated owners group that maintain and preserve the approximately 1,800 surviving cars just fine.

Lastly, in the tradition of heretical naysayers, I also foresee an imminent dark age for DeLorean owners. I predict that in 2015, it will be the worst time for the DeLorean/BTTF connection since the movies first came out. I foresee Universal doing everything they can to wring money out of the 30th anniversary of the films as well as people all on the internet and media whining about not having flying cars and hover-boards, in addition to the other aspects that were wrong about the forecasted 2015 of BTTF 2.

So, such is my stance on Nazis, Hitler, and BTTF. I welcome any questions and actual conversation that isn't an argument of "You're attacking a beloved movie from my childhood."
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Bricklins have no feature film centering around the cars....
    What about The Junkman (1982) and Deadline Auto Theft (1983)? The Bricklin was the star of these films, enough so that it is featured dead center on the poster/cover art.

Last edited by NightFlyer; 07-05-2013 at 01:57 AM.
    "You can never use too much anti-seize!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Those aren't feature films; they were produced and distributed by Halicki; plus, Deadline Auto Theft is primarily scenes from The Junkman and Gone in 60 Seconds.

They're both low-budget films; $1 Million each, opposed to the $19 Million of BTTF plus the world famous Universal Pictures to distribute.
    -Chad K.

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    That is pretty cool about the war reenactments. Some people might even find that amusing since it means you lost the war. (just joking)

Anyway, Chad does bring up some interesting comments about BTTF and the car. Delorean had a huge crowd interested in his car long before BTTF ever existed. There is a nice list of celebrities that bought into his company and owned DMC12 cars.

One of our most popular vendors, Dave Swingle, even has a picture that he took at a Chicago auto show where a Delorean was on display long before BTTF ever existed. I'm not trying to put words into Dave's mouth, but evidentally he liked the car before he even heard of the movie. Now he and his wife run one of the most successful Delorean shops around.

BTTF is something that has exposed the car to a younger generation though. I was born in 1981 so I really didn't have any exposure to the hype when the car was being released. The movie did expose me to the car, and for a while I was a huge BTTF fan. Now I've grown up and I just enjoy the car and it's history.

Will I go see BTTF if it gets re-released in 2015? Probably so, but I'm not dressing up in any BTTF costumes. If anything, I will dress up like Pee Wee Herman. Women seem to like that costume much more.

FWIW, I fixed the spelling of "Hitler" in the title.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    FWIW, I fixed the spelling of "Hitler" in the title.
    Awesome. Notice how my account does not have any admin or moderator rights? There is a whole team of people to do the dirty work instead of me. I just do the web design part. I NEVER want to be a moderator of this forum.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    It's funny how at the other site, everyone just jumped on me for being offensive and that "such things shouldn't be done" well, apparently, it's all the rage in Thailand to reference the Nazis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-bow-tie.html
    -Chad K.

I never noticed this persecution you describe, Chad. You use some pretty words and hash imagery to describe how you were treated, but I think you're exaggerating just a bit. So far as your other observations go, I'll agree that videobob is a dick.
    Keeper and seller of cocks. Currently on the ro[o]ster: 2 cocks, Big Ed and Little Ed, and 3 hens; Angelina Jolie, Missy Eliot and Jane Fonda.