Thread: Displaying your car in a public setting

VIN
    Blog Entries

Displaying your car in a public setting

I was called by the city asking if I would be willing to display my car at a city 80's block party and since they were very polite, gave me plenty of notice and promised security and etc., I agreed. Showing your car at a show is one thing because for the most part, there is an understood etiquette. At a public venue such as this, that is out the window. I knew this going in. I knew there would be kids (and adults) crawling in my car, pawing over the stainless and smudging it all up but I wasn't going to keep it roped off or not allow people to get close. I wanted people to enjoy it and that brings a certain amount of risk. I just kind of kept an eye out and the volunteer did likewise(yeah they assigned a guy to watch my car for the whole event). Sure there were a few over excited kids that had to be wrangled in when they started crawling on the seats and console, but no damage was done.

At the end of the night, I knew the "adults" full of beer leaving the concert would be walking right by it, so I closed the doors and went on walk about. When I came back, the door was opened and people were inside taking pics! Someone had opened the door and just "invited" themselves to my car. (I had given the volunteer the OK to leave earlier since it was closing down). So I closed the door again and locked it. Had one guy sit on the fender for a pic, stuff that any adult with half a lick of common sense should know not to do. The car was absolutely covered in prints (and a few scratches) but the scratches were light and it was nothing that a blend pad and a going over the car with stainless polish and window cleaner and a light vacuum couldn't fix.

It would be very easy to be upset about the night. After all my flawless DeLorean was subject to around 200-300 people crawling in it for pics and it will get dirty. I could have went ballistic trying to keep the panels wiped down and going crazy at the complete lack of respect a few people showed scratching my car, but I chose not to. Like I said, I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to do this. For the few people that were oblivious, there were so many people that came up to me and thanked me for allowing them inside. Most all kids were behaved and had parents that were making sure they didn't get out of hand inside the car. My Miami Vice Crockett outfit was a big hit but David Bowie in (her) Labyrinth costume was the star. Marty also made an appearance. So instead of focusing on the few negatives, I chose to embrace the positives. I was suprised that most people wanted me to pose with them with the car, and no shortage of pretty girls wanting their pics with yours truly. the pics I did see on FB of the kids pretty much nullified any negatives I could have had,... so not a bad night.

Would I do it again? That, I am not sure of. It is nearly impossible to keep every kid and every adult from crossing the line without just roping the car off, so I took a chance and I got lucky. Not so sure I want to gamble in the future unless there is some $$ incentive in there but I guess that will be on a case by case basis.

block2.jpgblock3.jpgblock4.jpgblock6.jpgblock7.jpgblock8.jpgblock9.jpgblock11.jpgblock5.jpg
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Administrator
    VIN
    Great pics, glad you had a good time despite the dumbshit violators.

VIN
    Glad you had fun and there wasn't any real damage. As a general rule, unless it is a close personal friend, I never rent the car out to a stranger for free. Your city collects taxes from you and it isn't unreasonable to expect them to pay a fee.

A few years back I was contacted by a school that wanted to display the car for a charity event. It was several hundred miles for me to get to the event. I quoted them the same price as everyone else, which added up to about $1000 including travel and a four hour rental. To my surprise, they didn't bat an eye and paid the bill. I have a suspicion you could have gotten paid as well if you simply asked. The government is used to wasting tax payer money.

My rates are at DeloreanTaxi.com if anyone is curious what I charge. I've turned down several client that have bickered at my rates. One guy even expected me to drive to a birthday party 45 minutes away with one hour notice for $150. Needless to say, I didn't join his party.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    What surprised me even more about the fund raiser I mentioned is they comped my hotel room for that night. I never ask clients to comp anything for me. Paying stuff such as hotels and credit card transaction fees are part of doing business as far as I am concerned. I don't get rich doing rentals, but I charge enough to cover my expenses and have some money left over.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Tonight we are going to a festival in Rogersville. I really love this part of the state because we have so many small quaint towns around us. Tonight starts out with a car parade through downtown then a sidewalk cruise in. Live bands, plenty to do. Tonight, along with my exploded view poster I usually take, I'm taking my DeLorean dealer sign that I wished I had brought last time. It will look super cool lit up next to the car.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Wow what a difference a car minded crowd makes. Everyone was so respectful and as far as I can tell, only one or two tiny hand prints on the hood(not that I cared, just pointing out the contrast). There is something about Rogersville TN that just does it for me. I discovered it many years ago on a motorcycle ride and although I don't get there often, it is one of my favorite small towns. The Heritage Days festival(Friday was the first of 3 days) was so packed but everyone is so friendly, even on the road people were nice. On to a few pics I took to hopefully convey the small town charm I have come to love about my home.

cruise1.jpgcruise2.jpgcruise3.jpgcruise4.jpgcruise5.jpgcruise6.jpgcruise7.jpgcruise8.jpgcruise9.jpgcruise12.jpg

I only took one shot of my car but it didn't turn out well. I was mad at myself because although I remembered my dealer sign and battery, I forgot to bring my freakin remote to turn it on with. Oh well, here is what it should have looked like
    20181012_213344.jpg