Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday to me...The Motorcycle thread

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sedated View Post
    I just bought my first bike. Not what I dreamed of but it was half the price of blue book value and f I drop it I won't cry. I got it home last Saturday.

Nice! Vulcan 1500? Heck you can't drop that thing. The most that will happen is the highway peg cage will get scratched. Looks to be in awesome shape and getting it cheap this time of year? You did very well.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Nice! Vulcan 1500? Heck you can't drop that thing. The most that will happen is the highway peg cage will get scratched. Looks to be in awesome shape and getting it cheap this time of year? You did very well.
    Yeah, Vulcan 1500 Nomad. It's in nice shape but it is a bit big for a first bike. Engine-wise it's fine, but the bulk and handling I was not expecting. I have to lean into turns more and it behaves differently from the MSF bikes.

Hey DLG... Can you recommend a good battery tender? I went to ride this morning before the storm and my battery was dead. I had to pay my chubby neighbor kid five dollars to play the "wah wahhhhhh" noise on his trumpet. I have a lithium battery jumper but then I saw the seat (under which is my battery) has two bolts and my socket set was stolen so I got fed up and just went out in my Jeep.

I dropped it. Today I dropped it. You were right, small scuff on the highway cage. I'm still pissed. The bike is so heavy the front end dips hard when you brake. I was working on my stops and starts for turns and the bars were already turned a little. When it dipped it was either hold on to the bar but risk cranking throttle, or gently let it drop. I opted for the latter.

I texted my dad to thank him for the mountain man genes that let me pick it up by myself. I continued to ride for about another 30 minutes practicing. The weight and behavior of this thing is still throwing me off a bit. I may need a trade to be 100 percent comfy. I'll keep at it.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    The best battery is the OE battery which is probably a Yuasa brand. In the past I have used Champion (on a Sunday in a pinch. Champion was all the Advance store carried) which lasted about a year.

Any good battery tender will work. I never used one so I can't comment on specifics.
    Sorry to hear about your bike but at least no damage done. I had a friends Goldwing for a week a few years ago and although I was looking forward to taking my wife for a ride. I did not like it one bit. Very heavy, sluggish, and although I had no problem managing it. I honestly expected something more refined. I have ridden big bikes before bit never a Goldwing and I was let down. After I did the paint repair(he let me keep it to do some touch up work), it just sit in the garage all week. I wanted nothing to do with riding it. I'll stick with sportbikes for as long as I'm able. In fact tomorrow after church we are going on a group ride with the local Honda dealer. I went once last year and I liked it a lot and I do remember the owner of the dealer having a cow over my bike. He was in disbelief over it's condition.

Low speed maneuvers are hard with bikes but one thing I have learned over the years....feet stay on the pegs. Once your feet come off you have a desire to control this 600 lb bike with your little feet and ignore your controls. The weight of the bike is not that important once you get that low speed maneuvering down.

I will post some pics of our ride tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be perfect.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

The best battery is the OE battery which is probably a Yuasa brand. In the past I have used Champion (on a Sunday in a pinch. Champion was all the Advance store carried) which lasted about a year.

Any good battery tender will work. I never used one so I can't comment on specifics.
    Sorry to hear about your bike but at least no damage done. I had a friends Goldwing for a week a few years ago and although I was looking forward to taking my wife for a ride. I did not like it one bit. Very heavy, sluggish, and although I had no problem managing it. I honestly expected something more refined. I have ridden big bikes before bit never a Goldwing and I was let down. After I did the paint repair(he let me keep it to do some touch up work), it just sit in the garage all week. I wanted nothing to do with riding it. I'll stick with sportbikes for as long as I'm able. In fact tomorrow after church we are going on a group ride with the local Honda dealer. I went once last year and I liked it a lot and I do remember the owner of the dealer having a cow over my bike. He was in disbelief over it's condition.

Low speed maneuvers are hard with bikes but one thing I have learned over the years....feet stay on the pegs. Once your feet come off you have a desire to control this 600 lb bike with your little feet and ignore your controls. The weight of the bike is not that important once you get that low speed maneuvering down.

I will post some pics of our ride tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be perfect.
    I am still working on things. I'm sure I will grow to be comfortable on this bike but I think maybe I'd already be more confident if I'd gotten a lighter/smaller one. We'll see how it goes.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    We never went on our ride with the group. Got out of church too late to meet up. We did our own thing though. I found a little something for me too
    20190428_113053.jpg

VIN
    Blog Entries
    You need the jacket to go with it.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Went out for a spin after work. Had a blast and got in 100 miles to boot. One way I describe biking is imagine the peace of being outside on a nice evening sitting in your patio chair. How nice it is to smell honeysuckle and feel the cool breeze and to just enjoy nature...now imagine that at 80mph.

20190523_072734.jpg

VIN
    I figure I need a big b day present for myself since none of you losers got me anything!
    Happy birthday.
    On September 22, 2019 I will be participating in Bike MS to raise funds and awareness for people affected by Multiple Sclerosis.

Please consider making a donation, any size helps, by clicking the link below. Anything you give goes towards helping people with MS. I do not receive one penny of your donation. Thanks.

https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...al&fr_id=30202