Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Windshields 101

  1. #1

    Windshields 101

    Rob,

    What's with having to support the roof during replacement?

    The process?

  2. #2
    Just Plain Nuts Boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    VIN
    5835
    Posts
    5,520
    I would think it's just wedging a short plank of wood from the center console fiberglass to the roof during removal and reinstall. I'd love to re-seal my windshield because it leaks rain from the sides, and that's what holding me up from finishing the car because I can't put the carpet in until it's rain proof so the interior is still yet to be installed.
    Now we’ve had just ‘bout enough of that !

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    So Damn Loud
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    So Damn Fast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original
    So Damn Tiny

  3. #3
    Just close the doors while the adhesive dries -- they will provide all the support your roof needs. None other than Dave Swingle clued me in on that trick (it's in the old .com archives -- as soon as they are restored I'll post a link). He recommends lowering the toll booth windows before closing the doors so air pressure won't disturb the windshield. Safelite installed my windshield this way last thing on a Friday afternoon and let the car sit in their shop all weekend. When I picked it up Monday morning everything was fine and has been ever since. Doesn't leak a drop. Doors close perfectly.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    W. Sayville N.Y.
    VIN
    05058
    Posts
    390
    I agree with Dave and Bill on this. The only time I would attempt to raise the roof with the windshield out is if it is one of the few cars where the doors were settled too in front low out of the factory. I know one when I see it.
    Rob

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by P. J. Grady Inc. View Post
    I agree with Dave and Bill on this. The only time I would attempt to raise the roof with the windshield out is if it is one of the few cars where the doors were settled too in front low out of the factory. I know one when I see it.
    Rob
    SO, having to ship a D out of state where a "DMC dealer who has the tools etc to brace the roof...or you'll be sorry", is basically BS?

  6. #6
    You can ship your car to Safelite in Fayetteville NC -- they definitely know how to do it (alternatively have your Safelite call Fayetteville and talk them through it).

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  7. #7
    Just Plain Nuts Boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    VIN
    5835
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Just close the doors while the adhesive dries -- they will provide all the support your roof needs. None other than Dave Swingle clued me in on that trick (it's in the old .com archives -- as soon as they are restored I'll post a link). He recommends lowering the toll booth windows before closing the doors so air pressure won't disturb the windshield. Safelite installed my windshield this way last thing on a Friday afternoon and let the car sit in their shop all weekend. When I picked it up Monday morning everything was fine and has been ever since. Doesn't leak a drop. Doors close perfectly.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Bill, did you supply the windshield or did safelite supply it? Can you post prices if you don't mind? I just want to remove , reseal, and reinstall my windshield.

    Rob, what price range would that be to remove, reseal and reinstall?
    Now we’ve had just ‘bout enough of that !

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    So Damn Loud
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    So Damn Fast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original
    So Damn Tiny

  8. #8
    All windshields come from Houston or the franchises. I got the last Dunmurry windshield Houston had (Dave still had a couple at the time, but this was 5 or 6 years ago -- I suspect they're all Made in China now). Some delamination across the bottom but nothing I can't live with (about 1/8").

    Insurance paid for mine.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    W. Sayville N.Y.
    VIN
    05058
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    SO, having to ship a D out of state where a "DMC dealer who has the tools etc to brace the roof...or you'll be sorry", is basically BS?
    Hmmmm...don't box me in! The other vendors are "my friends". "They love me I know they love me."
    Rob

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    W. Sayville N.Y.
    VIN
    05058
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    Bill, did you supply the windshield or did safelite supply it? Can you post prices if you don't mind? I just want to remove , reseal, and reinstall my windshield.

    Rob, what price range would that be to remove, reseal and reinstall?
    It's extremely difficult to R&R a Delorean windshield without breaking it. I would only agree to reseal it on the car or be prepared to buy one.
    Rob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •