Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Holds Ignition Tumbler To The Steering Column?

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I suppose so. But keep in mind, today's lock smiths work on modern cars.
    True, but it's not like locks have become simpler over the years. I'm sure your old British clunker will be a breath of fresh air.

Not sure if this is the correct strategy, but that brass pin that you can see in the side on your pic - that once fell out of my car and the entire lock assembly came out attached to my key. Had to carefully stuff the guts back in making sure the springs and tumblers stayed in their correct places. Found and replaced the pin and ran a ring of tape around it to keep that from happening again.
    -Luke / 10270 / Superman 3 Turbo Kit

VIN
    I was wondering about that pin myself. I tried pushing it in with a small screw driver and nothing moved.

I'm tempted to tap it with a punch and a hammer but I'm going to wait until someone tells me if that is the right thing to do or not.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Administrator
    VIN
    I have a new key from DMCMW....gonna check it today.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Whats ironic is I've nagged people for years about the importance of having an extra trunk release cable and keeping
    Thanks for reminding me about the next thing bound to happen. Who needs gas anyway.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post
    Thanks for reminding me about the next thing bound to happen. Who needs gas anyway.
    I'm on my 3rd cable!

Be sure to check the trunk release handle bracket. Grady pointed out that many of them are cocked at a 45-degree angle (mine was) which causes the cable and sheath to get chewed up. I gave mine some hammer therapy and it's much more pleasant to use now.
    -Luke / 10270 / Superman 3 Turbo Kit

Administrator
    VIN
    When 4194's ignition key broke back in 2002 I called a professional locksmith to remove the broken piece. He removed the lock assembly from the car and then disassembled the tumbler on the work bench in his truck. IIRC there were a lot of small parts in the tumbler, thus, I would only recommend taking it apart on a bench rather than in the car itself. While 2002 was a few years ago, the locksmith didn't seem to have any hesitation to work on a DeLorean lock or confusion when disassembling the cylinder.

VIN
    Gotcha. Sounds like I've got a plan. I'll remove the assembly this weekend and I'll call AAA sometime next week during the day for a locksmith to come out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    In the meantime, I hope I come across that stupid key.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.

VIN
    The assembly was super easy to take out due to the bolts a previous owner used to install this one.

Now I just have to wait until next week to call AAA.

There is no way I'm going to fall them at night or on a weekend for this.

I come from the belief that workers re much happier and cheaper M-F 8-5.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    If you remove the switch from the lock make sure not to lose the metal tab that connects the switch to the lock cylinder..from what I understand it is NLA.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
    Are you talking about the metal tab yhe purple wire connects to on the metal housing?