Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovering center console

VIN

Recovering center console

So does anyone have any experience with this? I haven't been too happy with the paint job I did on my center console so I went ahead and ordered the material for a recover from DMCMW.

In addition to the thing needing a recover, it is pretty bowed out at the foot wells. I need to figure out some sort of brace to straighten the things out.

And of course, I'm not sure if I should strip the material from the center console before I recover it or not. Has anyone recovered one of these before? Thanks.
    On September 22, 2019 I will be participating in Bike MS to raise funds and awareness for people affected by Multiple Sclerosis.

Please consider making a donation, any size helps, by clicking the link below. Anything you give goes towards helping people with MS. I do not receive one penny of your donation. Thanks.

https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...al&fr_id=30202

Administrator
    VIN
    Hey Steve: Did you end up recovering the console? If so, how difficult was the process and what are your thoughts regarding the quality of the DMCH part?

Thanks,

Andrew

VIN
    Blog Entries
    If you haven't done it already, bring it here the next time you stop by and I'll have Blair look at it and assess what to do. She made the new covers I have for my knee bolsters and knows a lot about leatherworking.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    The DMCH product is good quality but doesn't have the same grain as stock. Grain doesn't matter to me but for some it's a bug deal.

I tried installing it myself but have up. I ended up paying a local guy 150 to do a fantastic job.

If I had to do it again, I would have paid a guy to repair the cigarette lighter burn in my console instead of recovering it. It would have been a lot cheaper and I could have just redyed the console afterwards.
    On September 22, 2019 I will be participating in Bike MS to raise funds and awareness for people affected by Multiple Sclerosis.

Please consider making a donation, any size helps, by clicking the link below. Anything you give goes towards helping people with MS. I do not receive one penny of your donation. Thanks.

https://secure.nationalmssociety.org...al&fr_id=30202

Administrator
    VIN
    Well, don't post any pics 'cause nobody wants to see a fantastic job.

Also, what did you do in the footwell area? I think it was on this forum someone posted an easy & successful method of straightening it.

VIN
    I heated the console with a paint stripper and carefully bent it inwards at those curled up areas by the foot well. Then I braced it and left it for a day or two. (I had the console on a bench at the time - not in the car). It worked perfectly. Looked great..... for a few weeks! Then it slowly and gradually started warping outwards again over the Summer months.
    I have another idea which I will try over the Winter. I will post details afterwards if my plan works!

......Mike......

Quote Originally Posted by micmak View Post
    I heated the console with a paint stripper and carefully bent it inwards at those curled up areas by the foot well. Then I braced it and left it for a day or two. (I had the console on a bench at the time - not in the car). It worked perfectly. Looked great..... for a few weeks! Then it slowly and gradually started warping outwards again over the Summer months.
    I have another idea which I will try over the Winter. I will post details afterwards if my plan works!

......Mike......
    Thinking off the top of my head, I think I would use epoxy resin to attach something like this to the console:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-20-lb...0207/100058482

And then hook some zipties/flexible strap together and cinch it up until it suits you.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    For keeping the front from flaring out, the best and least intrusive way I could think of is the same principle for the eyebrows on the fascia. Use metal bars hot glued or epoxied to the backside. Get the bars thick enough to be sturdy, but thin enough to be flexible and allow some form fitting.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    I used some of those plastic "fir tree" fasteners. I Just peeled the vinyl way from the corner exposing the cardboard backing, pressed it back to the foot well and drilled a hole clean through the cardboard, carpet and fiberglass. Be careful to stop just as soon as you drill the fiberglass as there are some metal fuel lines running along the frame on the passenger side along the foot well.
    Then thread the fir tree into the cardboard, glue the vinyl back over the corner and then press it in place.

Ta da

Gary

Administrator
    VIN
    Steve: Could you post pictures of the re-covered console? Im considering ordering the DMCH console cover for 4194, but I wanted to see the grain before I ordered it.

Thanks!