PDA

View Full Version : Justin Mettee Tech Day September 13

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-20-2014, 06:19 AM
I have RSVP'd 1.5 people (Dave McKeen is a maybe).

If anyone else in the DC/Baltimore/Frederick area wants to go, Justin only lives about 30 miles over the Maryland line. It's an easy 1-2 hour drive from DC.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
08-26-2014, 06:00 PM
What zip? I want to map it....

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Glen Rock, PA. He lives on Shaffer Church Road just outside of town.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
08-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Glen Rock, PA. He lives on Shaffer Church Road just outside of town.

Bill Robertson

That might be doable....I'll keep it up for consideration and see how things look when that weekend is closer. It'll be my birthday, so it might be tough to swing it 'cause my wife & kids think that kinda thing is relevant.

Bitsyncmaster
08-27-2014, 02:59 PM
That might be doable....I'll keep it up for consideration and see how things look when that weekend is closer. It'll be my birthday, so it might be tough to swing it 'cause my wife & kids think that kinda thing is relevant.

Sept 13 is my wedding anniversary. Which is why I responded with a maybe.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-27-2014, 04:11 PM
*BOTH* a birthday celebration and an anniversary celebration at Justin's house -- it'll be the party of the century.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-27-2014, 04:14 PM
From Arlington it takes me 1.5 to 2 hours to drive up there. If you left between 3:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon you would still be back in La Plata by suppertime.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
09-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Bill, how many cars do you expect to be there and what's the main thing you'll be working on?

BTW, I still haven't seen the guy I know to re-borrow the A/C pump & gauges so I still have done jackshit to my A/C.

51% chance I'll go.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Typically it's about a dozen cars (12-18 people). Biggest project I've ever tackled there is welding new studs into someone's seat rails (had to borrow a neighbor's World's Most Aggravating MIG Welder to do it). Usually it's little piddly stuff like weatherstripping and door striker bolts. Justin does have a lift, but usually it's just used by new owners looking underneath their car for the first time. I primarily go to socialize. Justin fires up the grill for supper. If you'd like to vacuum and recharge your A/C I can bring a vacuum pump with me. Justin of course has an air compressor if you'd want to flush too.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
09-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Just spoke to my wife & kids about it; 55%-60% chance now, but I probably wouldn't drive the additional 2 hours to my brother's in Alexandria the night before. I'd likely drive down early AM on Saturday and either drive back that night or stay over somewhere & leave in the AM.

I'd like to test drive a 5-speed, any chance of helping make that happen? I'm planning to look at a potential purchase soon, I should probably drive one to be sure I like it [as much as I expect to] before buying one.

NightFlyer
09-02-2014, 01:35 PM
I'd like to test drive a 5-speed, any chance of helping make that happen? I'm planning to look at a potential purchase soon, I should probably drive one to be sure I like it [as much as I expect to] before buying one.

Why didn't you drive my car at DCS - you were more than welcome to :)

Rich_NYS
09-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Sonofabitch....I just realized I'm scheduled to work next Saturday. I'm trying to find someone to trade schedules w/me.

Aside from that, it's looking pretty good for me to go.

Rich_NYS
09-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Why didn't you drive my car at DCS - you were more than welcome to :)

Concours car....didn't want to take any chances, but thanks anyway! ;-)

Sonofabitch....I just realized I'm scheduled to work next Saturday. I'm trying to find someone to trade schedules w/me.

Aside from that, it's looking pretty good for me to go.

Found someone to take my scheduled Saturday next week......85% chance I'm going to Justin's.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-05-2014, 11:49 AM
85% chance I'm going to Justin's.

Are you really planning to drive straight through Friday night?

May I humbly suggest staying on 95 to your brother's house, then caravaning up Saturday morning. You would at least get a couple hours sleep in a real bed. I generally leave DC between 10:00 and 11:00 -- gets me to Justin's house in time for pizza (he buys pizzas for lunch from an independent pizzaria in Glen Rock).

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
09-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Are you really planning to drive straight through Friday night?

May I humbly suggest staying on 95 to your brother's house, then caravaning up Saturday morning. You would at least get a couple hours sleep in a real bed. I generally leave DC between 10:00 and 11:00 -- gets me to Justin's house in time for pizza (he buys pizzas for lunch from an independent pizzaria in Glen Rock).

Bill Robertson

It's ~6 hours....I was going to drive there early AM and get there by noon. I'm not married to the idea of leaving Saturday, but my brother is 2 more hours drive time in the opposite direction (adding 4 hours to my trip.)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-05-2014, 02:34 PM
I didn't realize it was that close.

I'll just meet you there.

Can't remember Justin's street address, but if you drive south on Shaffer Church Road his house is on the left, just after a 4 way intersection. The road starts to make a big left hand curve, and he's about half way through that curve. There's no trees in the front yard. Should be a bunch of DeLoreans on either side of the driveway.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
09-05-2014, 06:50 PM
100% chance I'm planning to go, and tentatively have an apoointment to stop along the way to look at a 5-speed for sale.

NightFlyer
09-05-2014, 07:17 PM
You guys on the east coast have all the fun... :)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-05-2014, 08:52 PM
David Teitelbaum lives on the East Coast....

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
09-06-2014, 09:40 AM
David Teitelbaum lives on the East Coast....

Bill Robertson

Well then, that explains it all right :D

Bitsyncmaster
09-07-2014, 08:33 AM
I posted this today on Justin's face book page.

I am going to bring my clamp on amp meter so we can test the cooling fan currents of as many cars as possible. The results are something that has been quite a controversy where some say 10 amps on OEM fans but I say over 15 amps on each fan. You would just need to clamp over one fan wire (near the fan or on your fan fail jumper). You may need to separate the wires at the fan connector. You would test with your car running and the AC on.

I just built up a fan fail jumper with longer wires so we can do the test without getting under the car. Here is my result using this test:

One fan drawing 9.0 amps, other fan drawing 8.4 amps, my car voltage at the jump terminal during the test is 14.61 volts.

I have Toby fans and the EU radiator. My voltage is probably higher than most cars. With my AC on I idle at 950 RPM and I have Hervey's D110 alternator.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-07-2014, 08:50 AM
I love my amp clamp. I wanted a stand alone unit (amp clamp only), and Amazon had several to choose from.

Do you want to caravan up? I typically take either 495 across the Cabin John Bridge to 95 or 695 through the District to 295/495/95 (or we can take the Parkway if you'd like to look at the trees).

Bill Robertson

Bitsyncmaster
09-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I love my amp clamp. I wanted a stand alone unit (amp clamp only), and Amazon had several to choose from.

Do you want to caravan up? I typically take either 495 across the Cabin John Bridge to 95 or 695 through the District to 295/495/95 (or we can take the Parkway if you'd like to look at the trees).

Bill Robertson

I'm leaving early (maybe 6:00 am). Last time I followed my GPS which sent me through Baltimore city streets. I will look at the map this time to avoid city streets.

My amp clamp is an older unit that has a zero adjustment. It's a nice unit otherwise and has two ranges, 0-20 amp and 0-200 amp. It plugs into my DVM.

Rich_NYS
09-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Do I need to RSVP, or is this an open invite event?

Bitsyncmaster
09-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Are you on face book?
https://www.facebook.com/events/760961103942942/

I think Justin wants an estimate of people showing up so he can plan food and drink

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-07-2014, 09:35 AM
I'm leaving early (maybe 6:00 am). Last time I followed my GPS which sent me through Baltimore city streets. I will look at the map this time to avoid city streets.

It's not healthy to be awake and moving around that early in the morning.

Take the Baltimore beltway to I-83. Glen Rock is Exit 8 just over the border. Don't turn left at the gas station where 216 goes into Glen Rock proper -- stay straight onto 616. Shaffer Church Road will be on the left where the tourist railroad draws close right next to 616.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-07-2014, 09:37 AM

Justin is expecting 85% of you (based on your earlier probability).

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
09-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Justin is expecting 85% of you (based on your earlier probability).

Bill Robertson

LOL...sounds good. I'll also check out the Facebook page.

Rich_NYS
09-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Are you on face book?
https://www.facebook.com/events/760961103942942/

I can't view that page....

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-11-2014, 11:24 AM
I am starting to load the car -- is it safe to assume Rich will bring his own freon and paint thinner?

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
09-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Enjoy the tech day guys - wish I could be there :)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Crappy carbureted DeLorean is now in DC.

Driving up 95 really isn't anything but a thing (perpetual Springfield VA road construction excepted), but it is 4/5 of a Teitelbaum (389 miles).

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
09-12-2014, 08:58 AM
I got my car back together this AM, all systems go to leave early tomorrow AM.

I'm stopping along the way to look at a 5-speed (potential purchase.)

Hope to be there around noon or shortly thereafter.

NightFlyer
09-12-2014, 09:12 AM
I got my car back together this AM, all systems go to leave early tomorrow AM.

I'm stopping along the way to look at a 5-speed (potential purchase.)

Hope to be there around noon or shortly thereafter.

Enjoy the trip :wave:

Rich_NYS
09-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Enjoy the trip :wave:

Thanks man....

I'll post pics soon of the work I did with my fascia; no more eyebrows, so now the guys at Justin's won't be able to point & laugh at the newbie -lol!

NightFlyer
09-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Thanks man....

I'll post pics soon of the work I did with my fascia; no more eyebrows, so now the guys at Justin's won't be able to point & laugh at the newbie -lol!

Newbie?!?!

You're a veteran already :worship:

From veteran, you can graduate on to being a non-self proclaimed expert, then a legend, and only if you're lucky enough can you reach the epitome/pinnacle of DeLorean ownership, the self-proclaimed guru (there's currently only one owner who has achieved such a remarkable feat) :cool:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-13-2014, 11:19 PM
Guy named John, who was the POG equivalent at the New Jersey QAC, stopped by Justin's house. He brought all his archives and memorabilia, but don't know how many people got to see them (I've seen them before). #5939 came from Philadelphia, so chances are he originally worked on it.

Rich finally showed up, flushed vacuumed & recharged his A/C, ate supper with us, then started the 6 hour return trip home -- busy boy.

He drove #5939 on a Home Depot run -- I'll let him post his own impressions.

Bill Robertson

gamerguy51
09-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Why are these damn tech days never anywhere near FL panhandle? Haha

NightFlyer
09-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Pictures or it didn't happen :biggrin:

Rich_NYS
09-14-2014, 07:31 AM
Rich finally showed up, flushed vacuumed & recharged his A/C, ate supper with us, then started the 6 hour return trip home -- busy boy.

He drove #5939 on a Home Depot run -- I'll let him post his own impressions.

Bill Robertson

I just got home, took two naps at rest areas along the way.

Bill's car runs & drives nice, feels like much more hp than mine. Although I've been planning to buy a manual and sell my auto, yesterday was the first time I drove a DeLorean stick (the car I test drove and Bill's.) Manual is way better and every bit as good as I expected (5 speeds vs. 3....duh.)

Also Josh, if I have a 5-speed the next time we drag race you will be horribly defeated...lol! (Manual vs auto should be no contest, yo!) :headbang:

Gotta get some sleep, later I'll post some pics. Bill left out the the part where the restaurant reserved the front row of parking for us (10 DeLoreans in a row.....nice!)

NightFlyer
09-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Also Josh, if I have a 5-speed the next time we drag race you will be horribly defeated...lol! (Manual vs auto should be no contest, yo!) :headbang:

Glad you had a good time :thumbup:

And no doubt that you'd whomp me - although next time, I'll hopefully remember to actually wind my car out into the power band as opposed to shifting way too soon like I did before. At least I'd pose somewhat of a viable challenge then.... :duel:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Found out at supper that the DMA fall gathering is in Hershey PA. Don't know if it's in conjunction with the big AACA national gathering our not. Irrespective, Hershey is an easy drive from DC, so I'll likely be coming back here next month.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
09-14-2014, 12:34 PM
BTW, public "thank you" to Bill for helping me with my A/C...much appreciated!

(Although, I did get sprayed in the face with paint thinner and embarrassed due to a hazmat spill in Justin's garage.) :flushed:

NightFlyer
09-14-2014, 12:57 PM
(Although, I did get sprayed in the face with paint thinner and embarrassed due to a hazmat spill in Justin's garage.) :flushed:

So, you were properly initiated into the A/C DIY club :biggrin:

Did you notice any improvements in your vent temps, or has the ambient been cold enough that you didn't even bother running the A/C to check it (it would be different with different ambients anyway)?

I haven't run my A/C since giving Steve a ride from Dayton to Akron for the DPI open house - it never really got warm enough to justify it. I'm comfortable with windows down up to about 85F, and we only had a few days this year that actually pushed past that.

Rich_NYS
09-14-2014, 01:15 PM

Rich_NYS
09-15-2014, 03:52 PM
So, you were properly initiated into the A/C DIY club :biggrin:

LOL....for sure, hahaha! Bill tried to warn me, but the drain hose that I pushed into one of the A/C hoses wasn't in far enough and it popped out (along with air & thinner.) When that happened, I jumped and accidentally released the air pressure (and remaining thinner) from the A/C hose I was holding.

Did you notice any improvements in your vent temps, or has the ambient been cold enough that you didn't even bother running the A/C to check it (it would be different with different ambients anyway)?

We ran it, but didn't use a thermometer. I'd say it works good, I'm happy, and Bill is the man!

NightFlyer
09-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the pics Rich :thumbup:

Looks like a great time was had by all.

Glad you and Bill got the A/C all squared away - now you'll be a pro for the next one you do :biggrin:

Rich_NYS
09-15-2014, 04:51 PM
BTW, WTH is Louis?

NightFlyer
09-15-2014, 04:56 PM
BTW, WTH is Louis?

I think he has been busy with work (school started) and his family, but he still checks in every now and then. He's dealing with a government program gone bad (imagine that) right now, unfortunately....

Rich_NYS
09-15-2014, 05:03 PM
He's dealing with a government program gone bad (imagine that) right now, unfortunately....

That sucks, I hope it works out OK for him.

I was looking forward to gloating that I spent the day with Bill.....and drove Bill's car.....and Bill worked on my car......and I went to Home Depot w/Bill.

:lou: :headbang:

NightFlyer
09-15-2014, 05:15 PM
That sucks, I hope it works out OK for him.

I was looking forward to gloating that I spent the day with Bill.....and drove Bill's car.....and Bill worked on my car......and I went to Home Depot w/Bill.

:lou: :headbang:

Seeing that is going to cause poor old Lou to pop a blood vessel :biggrin: :lou:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-17-2014, 12:19 AM
Crappy carbureted DeLorean is back in Laurinburg.

This little jaunt clicked 1,152 miles off the odometer, or a little more than 2 Teitelbaums.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
09-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Crappy carbureted DeLorean is back in Laurinburg.

This little jaunt clicked 1,152 miles off the odometer, or a little more than 2 Teitelbaums.

Bill Robertson

Wait - I'm confused.... :confused:

How is it that your car hasn't killed someone yet? :chad:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Yet....

Bill Robertson

delo5786
09-18-2014, 01:25 AM
I keep meeting people from this forum without realizing it lol.

It was good to meet and see some of you at the tech day! We replaced the brake master cylinder in 3196, which cleared up a minor brake issue. I then spent most of the rest of the day helping Matt R with his brake system (replace master cylinder, hoses, and front pads), and both clutch cylinders.

All in all, it was a great day!

I had a small tech day at my house in the spring to test it out. It went very well, so I'm going to host the spring tech day while Justin hosts the fall tech days. We don't have a lift, but we do have a mechanics pit. Once the date for the DMA Spring Social is decided, I'll start looking for a date for the spring tech day and let people know.

Rich_NYS
09-18-2014, 07:29 AM
It was good to meet and see some of you at the tech day!

Good to meet you too....whoever you are -lol!

delo5786
09-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Good to meet you too....whoever you are -lol!

Lol I'm Derrin. I was the guy wearing the Metallica shirt while we were working on the cars.

For some reason this forum wouldn't key me pick my normal username that includes my name when I registered.

Rich_NYS
09-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Lol I'm Derrin. I was the guy wearing the Metallica shirt while we were working on the cars.

Ahh...OK I remember... you commented on my license plate....good to meet you man. :headbang: (BTW, I saw Metallica @Monsters of Rock 1987 in Nuremburg Germany.....kickass.)