PDA

View Full Version : Buying Custom DeLorean Parts

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Just spoke to an owner who wanted a custom DeLorean part that used to be widely available, but now is NLA. The person who designed the part and had it manufactured isn't interested in making another production run. Instead, he sent this owner dimensional drawings and told him "if you want one, find a machine shop to make you this."

Bottom line: if there is a custom DeLorean part that you will ever want for your car, buy it now, even if it ends up sitting on your shelf for a protracted period of time before installation. Years, and sometimes just months, later the part may well be NLA. The DeLorean landscape is littered with examples:
- Toby TAB's
- Aluminum bolt on water pump pulleys
- Upgraded tail light boards
- Bauerle trailing arm brackets
- Anything Bryan Pearce made
- Single piece speedometer cables
- Hervey's solid aluminum trailing arms
- Rob's louver repair strips
- Zilla products
- Houston's reman tank sending units (Dave Swingle will sell you a used one as available from Houston's new integrated unit upgrades)

1,001 other examples I have neglected to mention by name.

Bill Robertson

Chris 16409
07-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Here's a link to the EuroTec DeLorean forum:

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=2870

A member is selling aluminum bolt on water pump pulleys for a good price. I'd get one of these if you don't already have one. I believe you need an account for the link to work. I'll post a picture of it here as well.

stevedmc
07-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Those things look sweet. I just sent him a message asking for a price to ship it to the USA. 25 GBP isn't a bad price before shipping.

Chris 16409
07-13-2013, 04:56 PM
If I didn't get one from Hervey before he ran out, I would have bought this one. He also has good prices on stainless DMC door sill letters and bumper letters.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Aluminum water pump pulleys are feast or famine. I bought one of Darryl Tinnerstet's production run in 2002. Then they were NLA for quite a few years until John Hervey had a batch made. John's have been NLA for a while, but now apparently someone else has made run.

If you think you will ever want a bolt on water pump pulley (and want to retain your upper A/C idler pulley -- not possible with a steel Volvo pulley), buy one when they are available. During the lean years you won't be able to find them.

Bill Robertson

bandit
07-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi Guys, this is my first time on here, so I will just quickly introduce myself. I'm the guy who does the pulleys, Steve's went off yesterday, so he should see it in a few days, I'll let him tell you what he thinks when he's had time to fit it.
My name is Julian, over here in the UK I run a business selling motorcycle parts, so the Delorean parts I do are not profit making, it's just that I deal with a lot of manufactures who do various work & initially just had the parts made for my own car.
I then had some done for the guys over here & it kinda spread.
The stuff I do is all on the eurotec forum, but if you don't go on there, I basically do the following
Water pump pulleys
DMC sill letters
Delorean rear bumper letters
Stainless engine cover grills
Braided steel brake hoses
Braided steel clutch hose
Braided steel fuel lines
If you want any info, just let me know
Cheers Julian

stevedmc
07-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to checking out the pulley and doing a review on it.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Somebody needs to make louver repair strips again. Ed Uding has them, but his price is twice what Rob Grady used to charge (#2508 will get Rob's last pair, BTW).

Bill Robertson

Patrick C
07-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Somebody needs to make louver repair strips again. Ed Uding has them, but his price is twice what Rob Grady used to charge (#2508 will get Rob's last pair, BTW).

Bill Robertson

I had them. Even after a thorough cleaning before installation, they would pop off in the hot sun. The DMCH bolt-on method is much better and makes the louvres feel 100 times stiffer than the stick on strips ever did.

Farrar
07-16-2013, 05:56 PM
After thinking about the "get it now before it's gone" situation in the DeLorean world, I decided to get Toby's Delrin steering column bushing and sway bar kit. (My sway bar brackets had been damaged by the previous owner's low-riding stance.) Toby & Misty been around for a little while, but I might as well buy the parts now while they're around.

They included a "coming soon" pamphlet which includes...

Front Shock Tower Brace: "Our goal was to develop a brace that was more effective, added minimal weight, and allowed the trunk carpet to lay flat with minimal protrusion into the trunk volume. Preliminary road testing of this brace shows this installation to be very effective in reducing front end deflections when in hard corners and on uneven pavement. And in addition to allowing the carpet to lay flat, this design also allows the spare tire to be removed without removing the brace. In fact, the only time the brace will need to be removed is to replace the brake master cylinder. All other service is possible without removing this brace. For those who have been waiting for a less intrusive front shock tower brace, the wait is nearly over."

Rear Sway Bar: "This component is also known as the rear anti-roll bar. Many years ago a rear sway bar installation was released by a large suspension component manufacturer for the DeLorean application. While that rear sway bar was quite effective, it required drilling holes in the frame and the trailing arms as part of the installation. Also, because of the attachment provisions it had, cracks in the frame were an inevitable result. The location of the bar attachments reduced available ground clearance by 1 inches, which becomes an important factor with lowered cars. We have designed a new anti-roll bar that requires no drilling, and will not cause damage to the frame or trailing arms. This installation is deceptively simple and elegant, and doesn't affect ground clearance at all. For those who have wanted to take their DeLorean's handling to the next level, the next generation rear anti-roll bar will be available shortly. You will find that the wait has been worth it."

The pictures are about an inch and a half wide on the page. This is as big as I can make them.

I wonder how long these will be available...