Any further comment from me would be redundant:

Bill Robertson

Oh man I remember you mentioning this.

Boo
05-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Nice!

sedated
05-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Is that a checker? Where did you find it?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-31-2014, 02:06 PM
I bought it in New Jersey, but it was originally NYC. Last TLC registration was Queens (1990). It's not a perfect example of the marque, but it is solid and should restore nicely. Extremely little rust. Build date is October 1981 -- same as my DeLorean.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
05-31-2014, 02:07 PM
Congrats on the new acquisition - looks nice! :)

Boo
05-31-2014, 03:25 PM
Build date is October 1981 -- same as my DeLorean.

Bill Robertson
Same as my Delorean too! Awesome! Gotta love it man!

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-31-2014, 03:29 PM
$10,000 question -- which is more iconic?

I got beaucoups of compliments on the trip back, including several honks & waves from taxi drivers (in minivans, thank you very much).

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
05-31-2014, 03:41 PM
Hmm... attracting the attention of adolescent males (DeLorean) or cabbies (Checker)...

For some reason, this group seems pretty adverse to purchasing cars that are chick magnets :p

Dracula
05-31-2014, 04:08 PM
Hmm... attracting the attention of adolescent males (DeLorean) or cabbies (Checker)...

For some reason, this group seems pretty adverse to purchasing cars that are chick magnets :p

What do you mean? I have a '59 Cadillac; rockabilly chicks beg me for photo shoots. Unfortunately for my car-to-hot-girls-attracted quotient, the car is in Texas right now.

Oddly enough, my '85 seems to draw a COMPLETELY different demographic.

As for Bill's new toy, I like it. I've always been a fan of spartan, utilitarian cars and that's one of the best.

Dead Lesbian Goat
05-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Robert Dinero says be sure to clean the rear seat first.

NightFlyer
05-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Rockabilly chicks can be both hot and scary at the same time :)

Dracula
05-31-2014, 04:57 PM
Rockabilly chicks can be both hot and scary at the same time :)

True, but it does prove that at least ONE of us owns a car that ATTRACTS women.

Dead Lesbian Goat
05-31-2014, 04:58 PM

Yeah...Both pre op and post op.:p

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-31-2014, 04:59 PM
If I was a pedophile I'd have it made -- I stopped by my mother's house while passing through DC (surprise, Mom) and little kids walking home from the elementary school down the street were mesmerized.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
05-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Like I said in my listing, the DeLorean is the perfect car for that 40-something housewife looking to attract a young male for her special needs.

NightFlyer
05-31-2014, 05:06 PM

You win! :cool:

But I'm guessing that the '85 attracts the geriatric crowd...

Dracula
05-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Here's how I put it verbatim:

"When you open the door, despite the fact that the car is stainless steel, it seems to have a magnetic property that draws people towards it; this is most prevalent on late-20s males. I happen to be a straight male, so it's not the target draw I'd prefer."

NightFlyer
05-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Yeah...Both pre op and post op.:p

She looks 100% woman to me...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ex-a8uFswNg/Tmiz7S0yTrI/AAAAAAAACZ0/bJ6jCNpW4V8/s320/rockabilly_hairstyles_rockabilly-rumble-1.jpg

Dracula
05-31-2014, 05:08 PM
You win! :cool:

But I'm guessing that the '85 attracts the geriatric crowd...

I wish. The crowd it attracts tend to refer to it as a "lac" and love to ask me why it has such small wheels; at least, that's if I'm understanding them correctly. I'm pretty sure only 50% of it is even close to English.

NightFlyer
05-31-2014, 05:17 PM
I wish. The crowd it attracts tend to refer to it as a "lac" and love to ask me why it has such small wheels; at least, that's if I'm understanding them correctly. I'm pretty sure only 50% of it is even close to English.

I read you loud and clear, wonder bread ;)

Boglin
05-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Quad headlights are the bomb:

Bill Robertson

I really approve of your new purchase.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130325205932/degrassi/images/d/d9/Thumbsup-alec.gif

Dracula
05-31-2014, 09:04 PM
Quad headlights are the bomb:

Bill Robertson

Is that hood securing system stock? It doesn't fit the rest of the car's appearance.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Absolutely: http://www.checkertaxistand.com/index.php?option=com_annonces&view=annonce&id=155&Itemid=27

This '81 has them too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0N0dWaL6IE

Apparently Checker offered it for fleet maintenance towards the end of production.

BTW: this is what I paid for mine:

Bill Robertson

sedated
05-31-2014, 09:42 PM
I read you loud and clear, wonder bread ;)

I am dead serious about finding myself a wonderbread t-shirt, or pajamas.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Apparently Checkers attract females after all:

Bill Robertson

Farrar
05-31-2014, 10:29 PM
thank you very much).

You're welcome.

Farrar
05-31-2014, 10:31 PM

Does it matter? At least under current law, women are not allowed to marry cars.

Duplicate Account
06-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Wow, very nice, Bill. I look forward to your impressions. Odd associations: Leif Garrett used to have one as his everyday car.

Farrar
06-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Stephen Fry has an old London taxi cab as his daily driver, too.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-01-2014, 12:45 PM
I wanted a real taxi cab, not a Marathon painted to look like a taxi cab. The trick is finding one that wasn't beat all to hell.

This thing still has its fare meter (electric, not mechanical, so I need to get the engine running to see if it still works).

Unfortunately it never had a partition, so I may end up building a replica.

It does have jump seats.

Bill Robertson

Boglin
06-01-2014, 12:50 PM
I wanted a real taxi cab, not a Marathon painted to look like a taxi cab. The trick is finding one that wasn't beat all to hell.

This thing still has its fare meter (electric, not mechanical, so I need to get the engine running to see if it still works).

Unfortunately it never had a partition, so I may end up building a replica.

It does have jump seats.

Bill Robertson

My favorite part is the sign on the roof.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-01-2014, 01:06 PM
That is a New York only application.

You can buy replicas: http://www.taxidepot.com/servlet/the-93/Efficient-Aluminum-Rooflight-C01-dsh-T/Detail
So my question is: why don't people who make replica taxi's use them? I can see using a regular "Checker" roof light for a replica Chicago taxi, but Bob Mosely's "Taxi Driver" replica certainly should have had one -- it's clearly visible in the film trailer on his website.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Morris Markin was one helluva businessman and political operative. Wikipedia doesn't do him justice. He managed to prosper for more than 25 years only building 5,000-8,000 cars annually where John DeLorean failed in nine months (albeit not without collusion from the New York Taxi & Limousine Commission). In this instance at least a big boxy tortoise definitely beat out the sleek stainless hare.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
06-01-2014, 01:33 PM
We all know that you're just trying to relive your cameo appearance as an extra in Blue Collar (1978) ;)

Dracula
06-01-2014, 01:48 PM
So my question is: why don't people who make replica taxi's use them? I can see using a regular "Checker" roof light for a replica Chicago taxi, but Bob Mosely's "Taxi Driver" replica certainly should have had one -- it's clearly visible in the film trailer on his website.

Bill Robertson

Because he would have to put time, effort, and attention-to-detail into a replica to care about anything beyond "close enough" being acceptable; a practice that his business is based on.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-01-2014, 02:00 PM
He put jump seats in the thing (I sincerely doubt the civilian Marathon he started with had them -- builder's plate will tell for sure).

He also should have popped the "Marathon" scripts off -- by law taxi package cars couldn't have them.

Bill Robertson

Boglin
06-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Because he would have to put time, effort, and attention-to-detail into a replica to care about anything beyond "close enough" being acceptable; a practice that his business is based on.

Some of the parts on the time machine cars are pretty expensive and hard to find. $700 for a filter/separator? I would be fine with a replica in that case, especially if I'm driving it outdoors. While accuracy may be paramount, I would be hesitant to install these high-dollar parts which not only aren't needed to perform their original function, but also may not be designed for outdoor use (i.e., a part which would retain water in the event of rain, or rapidly rust, or breakdown from UV, or all three).

Dracula
06-01-2014, 02:46 PM
I take bigger issue when he doesn't even use the right car; DeLoreans are more forgiving, but one of his replica Bluesmobiles is just disgracefully inaccurate:

Original Movie Car:

Abobmination:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-01-2014, 03:30 PM
At least he didn't use an LTD....

Replicas fall all over the map. Some people tend towards screen accuracy. Others just want to recreate the ambiance. As long as you don't try to pass yourself off as one when in fact you are the other, everything's good.

For example, I am going to do some custom interior work on my cab (cardboard door panel backer boards are shot -- I'm replacing them with nylon sheets). Rather than replicate original Checker factory vinyl, which was 1" vertical pleats up top, faux quilted and buttoned squares/rectangles in the middle, then 1" horizontal pleats at the bottom, I'm just going to run 1" pleats over the whole panel (If I can salvage map pockets at the bottom the pleats will only be visible half way down). I'm cool with that because a real cab company could have done the same thing in the same situation. I'm also seriously considering pleats on my replacement seat covers (originals are smooth vinyl). Other than cleanliness (cough cough) and good repair (cough cough cough), the TLC had no cab interior standards, so I figure the sky's pretty much limited only by my budget, time, and skill.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-01-2014, 09:11 PM
I take bigger issue when he doesn't even use the right car; DeLoreans are more forgiving, but one of his replica Bluesmobiles is just disgracefully inaccurate:

Original Movie Car:

Abobmination:

They look the same to me.

NightFlyer
06-02-2014, 12:42 AM
They look the same to me.

Blasphemy!!!

sedated
06-02-2014, 10:18 AM
So that's what that thing is from. A guy up the road has one of those "Blues Mobiles"

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-02-2014, 10:52 AM
I have no idea how much wind resistance it will create, but if I ever get a Bluesmobile I am afraid it will need a big speaker on top.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
06-02-2014, 10:57 AM
If you want the speaker, say goodbye to your rear window glass. In some shots, the rope runs through the opening and the speakers are nearly impossible to drive with at highway speeds.

NightFlyer
06-02-2014, 02:29 PM
I have no idea how much wind resistance it will create, but if I ever get a Bluesmobile I am afraid it will need a big speaker on top.

Bill Robertson

Speaking of roof mounted speakers, how's the BSTTF conversion coming along? Will your prop be able to continuously play the theme song at an audible level?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-02-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm afraid a new bright & shiny bauble is sucking up all my time and energy at the moment.

Latka fucked up the wiring in my taxi to a fare thee well.

A) No joke: my taxi used to be owned by Latka:

B) No joke: *EVERY* single wire in the car has been cut, twisted back together, and only occasionally wrapped with electrical tape -- generally not with the end it was originally cut off of. Also, Latka only owned a spool of red wire -- the whole damn dashboard is wired with red.

DeLorean owners can complain about DPO's all they want -- until you buy an ex-New York Taxi, you're playing in the minor leagues.

Bill Robertson

Duplicate Account
06-02-2014, 09:22 PM
I thought you were going for another Christopher Loyd connection. Too bad your next vehicle would have to be a Klingon bird of prey

Dracula
06-02-2014, 10:05 PM
DeLorean owners can complain about DPO's all they want -- until you buy an ex-New York Taxi, you're playing in the minor leagues.

Bill Robertson

The same goes for any ex cop car. The Minnesota Highway Patrol wired EVERYTHING with what, I assume, was white wire. I must have removed over 100' of wire from all over the car; parts of it even ran to the ends of the mirrors.

Incidentally, I discovered a number of things that were still left attached; case in point, my car still has its dual sirens, spotlight and skid plate. The front brush guard was removed with a cutting torch; I've since unbolted MOST of the jagged, metal protrusions...

NightFlyer
06-03-2014, 02:07 AM
I thought you were going for another Christopher Loyd connection. Too bad your next vehicle would have to be a Klingon bird of prey

Bill doesn't talk Klingon. How will he know where the damn anti-matter inducer is at to get the bird of prey moving? :cool:

Bill Robertson

I do believe you meant to say DBO, as in dreaded Bill owners :p

As to the Latka association, I'll give you a close enough, as the quality of work performed appears to be relatively comparable ;)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-03-2014, 08:05 AM
That TLC card cracked me up when I found it in the glovebox. Notice his license was suspended for "IQ." Don't know why, but Latka had it laminated (only needed to keep it until the end of September). I am going to attach it to the dashboard license holder, but only people familiar with the Taxi television series will get it.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-03-2014, 08:15 AM
The million dollar question is this. Does Bill plan to offer a novelty taxi service in his area?

NightFlyer
06-03-2014, 05:27 PM
The million dollar question is this. Does Bill plan to offer a novelty taxi service in his area?

More like unregistered underground taxi service in his area. He'll become forever known as the rogue cabbie of Laurinburg, North Carolina :)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Laurinburg already has a taxi service: Bob's Taxi. In the bad old days you used to call the pay phone next to where he parked. If he was there, he'd answer the pay phone and you could request a pick up. Now he uses a cell phone.

His current taxi is a little bubble car of some sort (they all look the same to me these days).

"Bob's Taxi" is spray painted on the doors with hardware store stencils.

He does have a generic "Taxi" roof light.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Next person who complains about working on his DeLorean is invited to come to my house to fuck with a Checker.

Urban legend is Checkers are indestructible.

Urban fact is they attract rust like a magnet. Frame and suspension are pretty impervious, but all other fasteners have "please snap me off" stamped on the head. Bodies rust badly too (fortunately mine is in very good condition -- a little surface rust creeping out around trim, but floor, rocker panels, and all 4 fenders -- Checkers have removable quarter panels just like a DeLorean -- are solid). Under the roof light wasn't bad either (I pulled the roof light off to rewire it).

Anyway, the tail light assemblies are held in place with rusty nuts on rusty studs. Took one look and resolved never to even attempt to turn them. Question is: how do you attach new rear reflectors with the assemblies in place? Answer is: working through a little hidey hole with hemostats, 8" needle nose pliers and long thin screwdrivers. Takes about a thousand years per side, but if you promise God to go to church Sunday you eventually get not only a backing washer and nut threaded on, but a new ground wire too (rusty nuts and studs are what ground the tail lights).

Bill Robertson

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Poking around the Internet I think I've discovered why my cab isn't a bucket of rust: in 1981 Checker started using galvanized sheet metal for some body panels. Not the entire car -- this isn't an AMC -- but certainly fenders & quarter panels (I can see silver colored metal where paint has chipped). Hopefully Checker used a galvanized suitable primer. AMC definitely did -- my '81 Spirit has one of the automotive industry's best ever paint jobs, even after spending 7 winters in Washington DC road salt.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
06-05-2014, 09:26 PM
AMC definitely did -- my '81 Spirit has one of the automotive industry's best ever paint jobs, even after spending 7 winters in Washington DC road salt.

Bill Robertson

Wish I could say the same for my Gremlin - it didn't fare too well in the mid-western winters, unfortunately...

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-05-2014, 10:19 PM
AMC didn't convert to galvanized sheet metal until 1980. When they did, they adopted it completely -- the entire vehicle structure was made of galvanized steel, not just selected parts:

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Q: Is that a Motorcraft 2100 on your taxi?

A: Why yes it is, thank you for noticing.

Q: But I thought your cab came with a Rochester Dualjet that didn't work worth 2 cents?

A: It did. I replaced it because it didn't work worth 2 cents.

Q: How does your engine run now?

A: Starts on the first key turn. Purrs like a contented kitten in an engine compartment that really needs a bigger cat (229 cubic inches -- what *WAS* Checker thinking?)

Q: Why didn't you replace that Dualjet with EFI?

A: Because I want to drive my car later today (needs transmission fluid).

Q: Are you *SURE* that's a real New York taxi?

A: Old medallion mount under the hood....

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-08-2014, 06:51 PM
It's alive:

2147 2148

Surprisingly, around the neighborhood at least, the little 229 inch engine wasn't too bad. Won't exactly give you whiplash, but it wasn't as bad as I feared. I may be able to live with it for a couple of years until time for a repaint, which would be the perfect time to do an engine upgrade (no need to worry about scratching the paint).

Bill Robertson

Farrar
06-08-2014, 08:57 PM
If you pick up a date in the taxi, do you make her sit in the back seat?

Dead Lesbian Goat
06-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Bill's dates charge by the hour, so he has to drive really fast in order to break even.

Boo
06-08-2014, 09:37 PM
If you pick up a date in the taxi, do you make her sit in the back seat?

Michael would make her sit in the back seat and make him a sandwich while calling him "Sir". ;)
I'd jump in the back seat with her, if you know what I mean.:rolleyes:

Boo
06-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Bill's dates charge by the hour, so he has to drive really fast in order to break even.

But if he uses the meter in the cab and drives really slow, then maybe she'll end up owing him more than he owes her for the night . ;)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-08-2014, 10:22 PM
The meter does work. Unfortunately I have no idea how to recalibrate the thing. Opened it up and it's full of Rube Goldberg gears. I'm guessing you swap gears out for different number of teeth. Currently it starts at 80 cents, then clicks off additional 20 cent increments for both time and mileage (fare climbs higher driving around the neighborhood than sitting still in the driveway).

It's an electric meter, so I was able to attach the roof light to it (previous owner was using a dash switch to turn the roof light on & off).

Bill Robertson

Boo
06-09-2014, 03:02 PM
You obviously, albeit intentionally, missed the point about the meter Bill.
:rolleyes:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Fare meters are the least of my concerns: I had to excavate space in the garage for the Checker today, without a cloud in the sky, ambient temps a balmy 94, and it isn't even summer yet -- something tells me July and August are going to be brutal:

Right now, half hour before sunset, it is still 91 -- this is ridiculous.

Bill Robertson

tom kish vin.4357
06-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Bill just think, a while back you were seeing how deep the snow was in your yard!!

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Weather sucks -- I'm moving to California where it's 70 degrees year 'round.

Hopefully the eco-Nazi's won't give me too much crap.

Bill Robertson

tom kish vin.4357
06-09-2014, 07:53 PM

Bill Robertson
First you need to survive Dayton and the seven roommates from hell

Duplicate Account
06-09-2014, 07:54 PM

Bill Robertson

Lol. When's the last time you were in Cali, Bill?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Reproduction roof light showed up while I was in Dayton. Construction details differ from the light that came with the cab (there may have been multiple suppliers, each with their own construction), but dimensionally it is virtually identical. I'll put it in storage -- when the car is repainted ~5 years hence I'll put it on (directional indicators at the edge of my roof were masked off rather than removed at the last repaint -- rust and mismatched yellow underneath).

With reproduction signs so readily available, there's really no reason for repro "Taxi Driver" cabs (or "Taxi" TV series cabs) not to use a proper New York roof sign, unless you're just trying to save $139.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
06-17-2014, 06:57 PM
That's SWEET - very nice!

Boglin
06-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Bill you got any plans to condition the garage air? I just installed a Mitsubishi ductless split in mine.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-18-2014, 12:15 AM
No, but I will be adding onto it in the very near future (already prepaid the steel before a scheduled price increase). As soon as engineering drawings are received I will pull the permits and get some concrete poured. I'll also be adding a little 352 square foot carport onto the house at the same time (city won't let me add onto the garage unless I increase the footprint of the house -- open air carport qualifies).

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-18-2014, 11:16 AM
I am working in the garage today. With all the windows open, it does a surprisingly good job of passing breezes through (it has as many windows as a house, and no interior walls to interrupt air flow). Not quite as good as a shade tree, but reasonable enough.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-18-2014, 03:57 PM
What's the difference between DeLorean Motor Company and General Motors Corporation?

On a DeLorean, all the other shit is in the way (you can't even see the distributor).

On a General Motors engine, the distributor is in the way.

My taxi cab has a 3.8L GM block. The low oil pressure sending unit is underneath the world's largest distributor cap (GM HEI is *HUGE*). I managed to remove my old sender with the distributor in place, but am seriously considering pulling the distributor out to install the new one.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
06-18-2014, 05:14 PM
What's the difference between DeLorean Motor Company and General Motors Corporation?

On a DeLorean, all the other shit is in the way (you can't even see the distributor).

On a General Motors engine, the distributor is in the way.

My taxi cab has a 3.8L GM block. The low oil pressure sending unit is underneath the world's largest distributor cap (GM HEI is *HUGE*). I managed to remove my old sender with the distributor in place, but am seriously considering pulling the distributor out to install the new one.

Bill Robertson

A Chevy 3.8L, or the Jeep/Buick 3.8L?

Any pics?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-18-2014, 08:06 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a Chevy 229. Checker was a long time Chevy purchaser.

Speaking of which: Checker did *NOT* use Chevrolet drivetrains. Only the engines themselves were Chevy. Transmissions were Borg Warner and rear ends were Dana. Checker made their own bellhousings to adapt transmissions to various Chevy engines (trivia: for the final two years of Canadian production, Studebaker sourced Chevy engines, Borg Warner transmissions, and Checker bellhousings).

There are a few other General Motors parts scattered throughout the car, most notably Saginaw steering and Chevy brake rotors & calipers. Dash instruments, knobs, etc are *NOT* GM. Rudimentary heater box and fresh air ventilation was welded together in Kalamazoo along with the rest of the carbody.

Front suspension is 1956 Ford. Don't know how Checker continued to get it after Ford moved on.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-18-2014, 09:58 PM
If Christopher Lloyd comes to DCS'16, I am definitely driving the cab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XXbpodUrek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAfv1w21_3I

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Giving the cab a tuneup. FWIW: spark plug gap on its HEI equipped GM engine is .045" (compare to DeLorean stock gap of .024").

Bill Robertson

Farrar
06-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Giving the cab a tuneup. FWIW: spark plug gap on its HEI equipped GM engine is .045" (compare to DeLorean stock gap of .024").

http://gifatron.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/George-Costanza-clapping.gif

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Is that hood securing system stock? It doesn't fit the rest of the car's appearance.

Sunstar's Checker model has the same hood latches: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-NEW-YORK-CHECKER-CAB-TAXI-1-18-DIECAST-MODEL-CAR-BY-SUNSTAR-2501-/400500403629?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item5d3faf2dad

Bill Robertson

Dracula
06-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Neat. Admittedly, I know nothing about Checkers, except that I like the look of them.