PDA

View Full Version : Shocks Question

04-28-2014, 06:16 PM
I found the cross over parts list online.
Which has Monroe-Matic Plus shocks as a replacement option
Part # 32150 for the front (Space Washers Required) The one's i have on there now have washers also.
Part# 33049 for the rear (Space Washers Required)

(Excuse my ignorance) I am not a Shock or Strut Expert by any means.
My question is? Are the Rear Struts??
Because #33049 does not look at all like what i purchased
I have removed the front shocks before, When dealing with the LCA's.
So i know what i am dealing with on the front.

I have attached a few pix of what is on my Car.
And the Replacement #33049

Enlighten me please.

Bitsyncmaster
04-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Are there any pins on the rear shocks that hold the OEM spring seat? Most other replacement rear springs include a spring seat on them.

04-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Replacement #33049
Comes just as you see it. No pins, Seats or anything on the shock.
Smooth all over the shock.

04-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Looks like i am going to be taking these Rear's back and finding something else?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Rear shock absorbers are the only thing holding the back of the car up. If they fail, your car will come crashing down to the pavement.

Dave Swingle uses an aftermarket shock with a spring seat that screws onto threads cast into the outer tube. Tube also is thicker and designed to support the weight of a car. Call him for the brand & model. A typical shock, designed only to dampen motion rather than support weight, with a collar clamped on probably won't work as well (typical shocks will crush with a monkey wrench while turning the nuts off).

Bill Robertson

Boglin
04-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Rear shock absorbers are the only thing holding the back of the car up. If they fail, your car will come crashing down to the pavement.

Dave Swingle uses an aftermarket shock with a spring seat that screws onto threads cast into the outer tube. Tube also is thicker and designed to support the weight of a car. Call him for the brand & model. A typical shock, designed only to dampen motion rather than support weight, with a collar clamped on probably won't work as well (typical shocks will crush with a monkey wrench while turning the nuts off).

Bill Robertson

Stop Teitelbauming clamped on spring collars. They work just fine, as evidenced by my Marty Maier KYB setup (going on almost 5 years now). BTW thanks for returning my call today. Too good to answer from the 703 now I see.

NightFlyer
04-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Teitelbauming

SWEET - a new word for the official Today lexicon :)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-29-2014, 05:56 AM
Actually you were Swingled -- Dave Swingle himself questions those clamp on collars on non-structural shocks.

Houston still has cases and cases of OEM rear shocks for $37.50 apiece. The only reason not to use them is because an owner thinks they are too stiff (on a disproportionately heavy rear end without a sway bar...), in which case Dave has sourced a structural shock with screw on collar. He even has a toll free 800 number so the only thing it costs you to call him for the part number is a few minutes of precious time.

Bill Robertson

Bitsyncmaster
04-29-2014, 06:11 AM
I never noticed any handling change after I replaced my rear shocks with John's easy riders. If they fail, I would probably go back to stock shocks on the rear.

Boglin
04-29-2014, 10:13 AM
Actually you were Swingled -- Dave Swingle himself questions those clamp on collars on non-structural shocks.

Houston still has cases and cases of OEM rear shocks for $37.50 apiece. The only reason not to use them is because an owner thinks they are too stiff (on a disproportionately heavy rear end without a sway bar...), in which case Dave has sourced a structural shock with screw on collar. He even has a toll free 800 number so the only thing it costs you to call him for the part number is a few minutes of precious time.

Bill Robertson

Dave was getting McElrafted here! (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9634-Is-this-part-the-Bosch-relay-for-our-cars&p=141335&viewfull=1#post141335)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Wrong Dave -- that's Dave McKeen.

Bill Robertson

Boglin
04-29-2014, 12:18 PM
Wrong Dave -- that's Dave McKeen.

Bill Robertson

Post #2, Dave M says the relays are all pretty much the same.
Post #3, hmcelraft McElrafts Dave.
Post #4, Dave M responds to the McElrafting.

Teitelbaum: verb
(Tahyt-l-bom)
syn. McElraft

1. to explain or worry about repeatedly, or more than is necessary: He kept Teitelbauming about how my carbureted DeLorean would kill someone, even after I had driven it for over 12 years.

2. to assail persistently, as with scorn or ridicule: Had I brought up the topic of driving on my original NCTs, I would have been Teitelbaumed to death by the 'Talk community.

NightFlyer
04-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Teitelbauming: verb (used with object)
Tei*tel*baum*ing (Tahyt-l-bomb-ing)
syn. McElrafting
1. to explain or worry about repeatedly, or more than is necessary: He kept Teitelbauming me about how my carburetor would kill someone, even after I had driven over 100,000 miles while using it.

2. to assail persistently, as with scorn or ridicule: Had I brought up the topic of driving on my original NCTs, I would have been Teitelbaumed to death by the 'Talk community.

This definition should be added to the DeLorean wiki :)

stevedmc
04-29-2014, 06:50 PM
I hope that rear cross reference number didn't come from me. I would never cross reference a rear shock. Way to dangerous because of the spring perch thingie.

I wouldn't go with one of those Hervey rear shocks either unless it has a fancy smancy screw on perch for the collar like the Spax shocks.

05-24-2014, 08:28 PM
I found the cross over parts list online.
Which has Monroe-Matic Plus shocks as a replacement option
Part # 32150 for the front (Space Washers Required) ]

Update:

Monroe-Matic Plus shocks Part # 32150
Are a direct replacement when you remove the sleeves
Otherwise they don't fit thru the LCA Holes