PDA

View Full Version : Can a water pump gasket be made from a cereal box?

stevedmc
07-11-2013, 07:04 PM
I've searched, eBay, AutoZone, Amazon, NAPA, and Oreillys yet I cannot find a water pump gasket with any of those guys. I'm thinking about just ordering one from Hervey but I believe he charges something like $15 for a water pump gasket. Thats a lot of money for a piece of paper.

Have any of you guys ever experimented with making your own gaskets? I'm tempted to get some cardboard from a cereal box and try making my own.

Kevin
07-11-2013, 08:28 PM
That kind of cardboard might work. They teach us in automotive school how to create one essentially out of a manilla folder, I guess it's the right squishiness to conform to the variations in the metal. Though I'd worry about the paper or cardboard getting soggy and wearing away. DMCMW Dave saw my water pump was leaking and found that an old paper gasket was falling apart, but who knows, maybe someone used tissue paper.

But it might be worth experimenting since you have better access to the water pump than the rest of us.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Your Autozone pump should have included a back gasket. If it was missing, pitch a hissy fit and they will order in another one and give you the gasket from its box.

You can definitely make your own gasket, but it will be pretty involved cutting. I had to make a gasket to mate the adapter to my Volvo manifold, and it was similarly complex (albeit smaller):
If you make your own gasket, make a regular paper rubbing (like rubbing a tombstone) of the back first, cut the rubbing out completely including bolt holes, then trace around that onto your cardboard. Treat yourself to a new Xacto knife blade -- #11. Do your cutting on a Sunday sized stack of newspaper.

Bill Robertson

Chris 16409
07-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Steve, you should be able to buy gasket paper/media at any auto part stores. Especially a place like Napa. You can do like Bill suggests and cut it yourself. When I bought my water pump from RockAuto, a back gasket was included.

stevedmc
07-12-2013, 07:20 AM
It's a long story but I destroyed the new gasket that came with the new pump when I had to remove it.

I didn't worry about saving it because I thought I could easily order one on eBay for a few dollars. Boy was I wrong.

I might stop by the parts store and see if I can get a roll of gasket maker. I read it is pretty easy to make a gasket with just a hammer and some sort of punch.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Making a gasket with a hammer works best with cork. You'll have to tap pretty hard to cut through gasket paper. Just use an Xacto knife.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-12-2013, 09:26 AM
The thin gasket between your intake manifold and the carb baseplate adapter (the piece with the vacuum barbs in it) was custom cut from Autozone gasket paper. Autozone sells two colors: black, formulated for oil and gas exposure, and blue, formulated for coolant exposure.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
07-12-2013, 11:37 AM
I made one for a lawnmower engine out of folded-over paper towels layered with waterproof Elmer's glue. It ran well on that for a number of years.

stevedmc
07-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Yesterday I got a new water pump (warranty item) form Hervey and he was kind enough to include a water pump gasket. I decided to scan it to PDF so I will have a template should anyone need to make a gasket for their water pump in the future.

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?110-Water-Pump-Gasket-Template&p=849#post849

Bitsyncmaster
07-16-2013, 06:31 PM
I make gaskets all the time with that autozone paper. Best way I found to cut it is glue it onto one side with harding Permatex #1. After it sets, use an exacto to make it a perfect fit. Then I use Permatex #2 on the mating side to assemble.

AugustneverEnds
07-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Yesterday I got a new water pump (warranty item) form Hervey and he was kind enough to include a water pump gasket. I decided to scan it to PDF so I will have a template should anyone need to make a gasket for their water pump in the future.

http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?110-Water-Pump-Gasket-Template&p=849#post849

I recently installed a water pump from SpecialT. Pump is fine but the gasket was thin crap, leaked from several places. You probably could make yourself a better one. Cheers