PDA

View Full Version : Fuel access cover no fit

Boglin
04-19-2014, 03:52 PM
I have the new pump module. For whatever reason the fuel access cover does not fit. The pump sits too high. I am going to modify it (fiberglass).
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/20/ynyje9u9.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/20/tanyharu.jpg

Note the razor blade shows that the pump sits higher than the access cover.

Not sure how anyone else has been able to install this cover without flexing the shit out of it.

NightFlyer
04-19-2014, 04:54 PM
It is a VERY tight fit - no question about it. And yes, I'm stressing the cover making it fit. But I was able to make it fit.

Is that an adjustable pressure regulator on the left?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-19-2014, 05:29 PM
As Mike Loasby said: 1/2 variance in underbody tolerances....

Bill Robertson

Patrick C
04-19-2014, 05:47 PM
It is a VERY tight fit - no question about it. And yes, I'm stressing the cover making it fit. But I was able to make it fit.

Is that an adjustable pressure regulator on the left?

Ditto. I had to put certain screws in first and push very hard to make it seat enough to get all of the screws in place. Definitely not easy.

Boglin
04-19-2014, 06:14 PM
The thing on the left is my hot water valve. I relocated it to the front. It doesn't fit underneath the cover either, so we're modifying the cover for both reasons. :)

NightFlyer
04-19-2014, 06:39 PM
The thing on the left is my hot water valve. I relocated it to the front. It doesn't fit underneath the cover either, so we're modifying the cover for both reasons. :)

Is that the Everco (AutoZone) piston valve?

Boglin
04-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Yup

NightFlyer
04-19-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm surprised that there wasn't room for the valve without having to modify the access panel.

Rich_NYS
04-19-2014, 08:40 PM
There was a guy on Talk who had trouble fitting the access panel over a new pump module. Josh, do you remember if he found what the trouble was? Now I'm curious to know.

NightFlyer
04-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Some people just aren't willing to stress the access panel enough to make it fit - as Matt said, you have to really "flex[]the shit out of it."

I believe that the guy who was having the issues over on Talk had a very early car (triple digit VIN if I'm not mistaken), which had a slightly taller pump collar and the tank was also mounted a bit further forward as compared to later produced cars (I think it was something to do with the thickness of the mounting foam). I don't know if that owner ever implemented a solution or not, however one avenue would be to grind down the height of the pump collar - the tricky part would be in getting it as level as possible, but you could also just use a custom cut gasket and should be just fine.

Boglin
04-23-2014, 12:09 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/24/9agepe6y.jpg

This type of fuel connector fits best. My kit came with a straight connector but i could not get it installed where it didnt crimp the hose.

NightFlyer
04-23-2014, 05:10 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/24/9agepe6y.jpg

This type of fuel connector fits best. My kit came with a straight connector but i could not get it installed where it didnt crimp the hose.

This raises an interesting point - the quick disconnects that new cars use are nylon, just as our stock/OEM fuel lines are nylon cored. And yet there are those who insist on changing out the 'plastic' fuel hoses with new stainless braided hoses - and yet, they never seem to ask what the core of those braided stainless sheathed hoses are made out of. I tried asking DPI and DMCH what the cores of their braided stainless sheathed offerings are composed of, but they never responded to my question. At least Hervey states right on his site that his braided stainless sheathed fuel hoses are teflon lined - but given the experience of those who have/had the orange teflon lined hoses that were popular ten years ago, I'd personally say that Hervey's braided stainless sheathed lines are best avoided for this concern alone. The teflon lining in the orange teflon lined hoses is notorious for breaking down and flaking off the walls of the inner hose at around roughly 10 years after installation (on average), thus clogging up fuel system components. Nylon has proven itself to be fairly resistant to today's ethanol blended fuel and the pressures at which k-jet operates under.

I realize that this doesn't apply to Matt - just wanted to take the opportunity to make a point in favor of the nylon cored fuel hoses.