PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Hydraulics - Rebuild Kits

NightFlyer
04-18-2014, 06:09 AM
While I've still got my car up in the air, I'd like to rebuild the clutch master and slave cylinders, as the fluid in the system is stock/OEM and long overdue for a change, and I've read that changing the fluid has the effect of causing the cylinders to leak shortly after, if they're not addressed before the new fluid goes in.

I know that the Dorman rebuild kit for the master is cmk351685.

So, my questions are:

a) what's the equivalent rebuild kit for the slave?

b) what should I replace the soft line with? I know that the vendors sell braided stainless sheathed hoses for this, but is that really necessary or is it over-priced overkill? Thinking about running a standard steel brake line in its place - is there a reason that I shouldn't do that and instead stick with a hose of some sort?

Thanks for whatever info/advice you guys can provide!

Bitsyncmaster
04-18-2014, 06:41 AM
I got a slave rebuild kit from John. Yes a week or two after I bleed the system the slave started to leak. There are a few types of slaves so you need to pull the slave apart to see which one you have.

stevedmc
04-18-2014, 07:13 AM
1980 Renault Master 2.4L L4 Diesel
Delphi Part# LL21520

Price $110.79 on RockAuto

stevedmc
04-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Incidentally, I just checked and both Hervey and DMCH have better prices than RockAuto on this part. I couldn't find it on the DPI site but it might not hurt to check with him for a price as well.

Boo
04-18-2014, 09:21 AM
If Houston's part is cheaper I would go with that. At least you most probably don't have to argue for a warranty claim.

BABIS
04-18-2014, 09:28 AM
as the fluid in the system is stock/OEM and long overdue for a change

really?? I would be scared of the oil emulsion like the one in the brake calipers ..

NightFlyer
04-18-2014, 03:09 PM
really?? I would be scared of the oil emulsion like the one in the brake calipers ..

As of last year, the brake fluid in my car was also factory original. One of the front calipers was stuck and I wasn't getting any response from the rears at all, so I rebuilt the system. When I rebuilt the calipers, the pot/piston cylinder bores were fine - I didn't even hone them at all and just wiped them out with a brush, a scotch brite, and some emery paper. Good as new with the new rubber.

I'm hoping that the situation will be the same with both the clutch master and slave. When it comes to my car, I'm always optimistic :)

Boglin
04-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Bores dont matter because the piston seals on the seal, which is fixed. If the seal was on the piston and rode in and out on the bore, then it would matter.

Boo
04-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Bores dont matter because the piston seals on the seal, which is fixed. If the seal was on the piston and rode in and out on the bore, then it would matter.

Is there a cross-eyed smiley ?!?

Boglin
04-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Is there a cross-eyed smiley ?!?

This was actually a debate on a powder coating forum some 5 or 6 years ago. Someone tried to tell me that I couldn't media blast the caliper bores. I told them that indeed, I could, as long as the design was such that the piston never contacts the bore. The part that you want to pay attention to on the DeLorean is the condition of the pistons, which is why I'd recommend getting SS pistons if you're going to the trouble of taking them apart.

NightFlyer
04-18-2014, 06:34 PM
This was actually a debate on a powder coating forum some 5 or 6 years ago. Someone tried to tell me that I couldn't media blast the caliper bores. I told them that indeed, I could, as long as the design was such that the piston never contacts the bore. The part that you want to pay attention to on the DeLorean is the condition of the pistons, which is why I'd recommend getting SS pistons if you're going to the trouble of taking them apart.

All the more reason to rebuild as opposed to replace, and yet, for some reason, replacement seems to be the standard over on the other forum.

Yeah, I didn't want to wait for stainless pistons, so I ended up reusing the ones that I had, even though they weren't perfect. So far, they haven't leaked at all and are working just fine after about 4,500 miles of use last year.