PDA

View Full Version : Lousiana Tech Evenings

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-11-2013, 06:58 AM
If I do indeed drive down for Farrar's radio event, does anyone want to work on their cars in the evening for a day or two prior?

If Steve still has his Autozone water pump I can bring a bolt on Volvo pulley with me.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
07-11-2013, 08:59 AM
If I do indeed drive down for Farrar's radio event, does anyone want to work on their cars in the evening for a day or two prior?

If Steve still has his Autozone water pump I can bring a bolt on Volvo pulley with me.

Bill Robertson

That sounds great to me. My car is currently without an installed water pump or brake booster as I am waiting to see if Hervey is going to replace them under warranty. They are currently in his posession, so my car isn't drivable at the moment.

I do of course still have my new volvo water pump as well along with a couple of bolt on pulleys I picked up at the junk yard. I believe I need a new AC belt tensioner to make the thing work.

If you need a place to stay you are welcome to crash at my house. I'm in Livingston, LA and am conveniently located 1 mile off of interstate 12.

I'm sure other guys would offer you housing as well, but I just thought

Farrar
07-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Steve, there's a guy with a used water pump for sale on DMCTalk. Do you still have access there via your alter ego?

I have a spare bed in my apartment. I can always clear it off. Unless you're allergic to cats, my place is also available as a crash pad.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Steve, there's a guy with a used water pump for sale on DMCTalk. Do you still have access there via your alter ego?

I have a spare bed in my apartment. I can always clear it off. Unless you're allergic to cats, my place is also available as a crash pad.

Farrar

Beginning of rant:
Sammy got banned for telling David T to shut up when he accused Steve Rice for being stupid because of a tire failure. Needless to say, I don't contribute to Talk anymore. The times I've been back, I've only been accused of harassing people, which is far from the truth other than the nerd comments I made and the "Ron sucks" comments. I've got no need to go back to that forum if they are just going to call me stupid for carrying spare parts. Sammy actually gave the moderators his persmisison to ban him, once the tire mess started on there. They might have left him alone had I, em I mean Sammy, not given them permission to ban the account. I'll post a screen shot of the message when I get home.
:End of rant

Back on topic, I should be able to drive the D to the event. If Hervey doesn't get around to shipping me a new water pump under warranty, I have a 30 year old water pump that I can pull from my spare engine. I would rather not drive around on a 30 year old pump, but if I get in a bind I can install the thing.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I've already told you -- just walk away. Don't even lurk. It's no different than breaking up with a girlfriend -- don't park across the street to watch her comings & goings.

All you need to do to use a steel Volvo pulley is take the upper A/C idler pulley off (it's a separate piece already). Just use the lower pulley and the long bracket it's attached to. You will likely need a shorter belt. Buy a cheap sewing tape measure at WalMart and keep it in your tool box to measure custom belt lengths, among other uses.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
07-11-2013, 05:59 PM
I forgot to mention that the second part of my previous post was directed at Bill. Steve already has a place to stay in Louisiana. ;)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-11-2013, 09:12 PM
You and Steve need to make lists of everything necessary to make your cars run. They don't have to be perfect, but they do have to be roadable. Most people -- the general public especially -- don't care if the DeLorean they are looking at is a work in progress. Owners themselves are their own harshest critics.

Bob Babcock drove his car to DCS'10 basically fresh out of the ditch (Bob's car literally sat in a ditch for 10 years), accidentally parked right next to concours judging, and turned out to be a hit of the show. DeLorean owners themselves were fascinated to see a car without its interior in place (Bob had one seat -- that's it) -- kind of like peeking behind the Wizard's curtain. They helped him bolt his hood back down (Bob drove to the show with his hood bungee'd shut). At supper there were no fewer than three separate pictures of Bob's car in the slideshow -- no other car had that honor. If Bob's fresh from the ditch car was that well received at a DeLorean Car Show, how much better will any DeLorean, no matter its condition, be received at a general public meet & greet.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Owners helping Bob bolt his hood on: 111

Bob's interior: 112

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
That looks like Mr Jim Reeve. He's an awesome guy spite the fact that his EFI car is south better than mine.

He was gracious enough to help me replace my steering wrack after the DMCMW open house. In fact, he did most of the work.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Jim, Bob, and I were up until about 2:00 the morning before piecing Bob's car together well enough to move. Jim worked on the electrical system while Bob and I tackled mechanicals. Transmission went back in earlier in the day (Jim helped Brandon Barber install his stereo while Bob and I did that). It was 12 hours of frenetic activity just to travel about 10 miles to the show.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
07-11-2013, 10:49 PM
You and Steve need to make lists of everything necessary to make your cars run.

The engine, as far as I know, runs.
I need to put enough of the interior back in to have all the switches in place.
I need to charge the air conditioning so I can drive it without getting sick.
I need to change the brake fluid and ATF - they're now at least two years old.
I SHOULD change the final drive output shaft seal, but I guess I can drive it with a leak.

Assuming I get some of the electrical bits of the interior in this weekend, I can take the car on a test drive around the neighborhood. I need to make sure the brakes haven't seized after a year in the garage -- after all, the headlight switch died without being used, as did my fuel pump. (Note to self: buy a new spare fuel pump.) Who knows what else might have failed on the car since I backed it into the garage last May.

stevedmc
07-12-2013, 07:23 AM
My brake fluid is two years old. I just check the fluid level every once in a while.

If I ever get around to it I'm going to rebuild my calipers and replace the brake lines. I've got no desire to flush the system until I am ready to do all that work.

My car doesn't need much and I'll have the work done myself before the 25th. I just need to put a water pump and a brake booster on the car. That's pretty easy work in my book.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-12-2013, 08:05 AM
There is an easy way to bleed the brakes by yourself, no special tools needed -- just a coke bottle and a short piece of hose. I am happy to show you.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
07-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure I can do what my car needs before July 25th. I can drive without knee pads or a glove box.

What's the difference between bleeding brakes and changing out all of the fluid? How do I know that all the old fluid is gone and the new fluid is in? Do they make different colors?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-12-2013, 11:32 AM
New brake fluid is the color of vegetable oil. Old brake fluid is the color of coffee or tea. When the coke bottle looks like it has vegetable oil in it rather than coffee or tea, system to that caliper/cylinder is clean.

You've only got one long run to bleed through: passenger rear. The other three wheels are much shorter.

Bill Robertson

dvonk
07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
whenever ive flushed brake lines, the fluid has always been dark (and long overdue), and i would just flush the lines until they came clean. if your fluid is still clean and youre just changing it because of its hydrophilic nature, a few pumps of the pedal is enough to clear the lines.

the question is if you are adding new fluid to old fluid in the reservoir, how much fluid does it take to 'wash away' all the old fluid? im not sure... ive always done a couple pints just to be thorough. its probably overkill, but at least the lines are clean and the fluid is fresh.

Farrar
07-12-2013, 11:38 AM
I'll probably buy a couple of pints, too, to be safe. I'll probably end up doing things in the wrong order, too. I always forget if you start with the longest run and work your way to the shortest, or the other way around.

dvonk
07-12-2013, 12:07 PM
ive heard it both ways... and honestly, does it really matter THAT much? i say no, since youre no matter what order you flush, youre still going to be considerably better off with all that fresh fluid instead of the old fluid.

Farrar
07-12-2013, 12:17 PM
True enough. I will probably go around and re-check everything, anyway, making sure the fluid is the right color.

Does it matter if the car is level?

dvonk
07-12-2013, 12:19 PM
if youre aware that having part of your vehicle jacked up it affects the angle of the fluid in the reservoir, youll be fine... just dont let it get so low that it starts pushing air into the lines.

stevedmc
07-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Bill hasn't replied to this thread in a while. Is it safe to assume he will be joining us? I'll give him two whole cans of Big Lots freon if he makes the drive down here.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Bill was treated rather unfriendily by the forum owner. There is already one forum where Bill can go for abuse -- he doesn't need two of them.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
07-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Bill was treated rather unfriendily by the forum owner. There is already one forum where Bill can go for abuse -- he doesn't need two of them.

Bill Robertson

I love you.

Farrar
07-15-2013, 06:40 PM
I made significant progress on my car yesterday afternoon and last night. I intend to give the car a shakedown this weekend. By then, my new steering column bushing and front swaybar kit from Toby will have arrived. Steve, can you supervise while I disassemble and reassemble the steering column? I need to know that I'm not doing it wrong and going to end up killing myself when I go for a test drive and the steering wheel falls off.

stevedmc
07-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Sounds good to me. Let me see if I'm available Saturday or not and we can figure it out from there.

Farrar
07-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Hey, Steve, I got the parts today and just read through the instructions. It doesn't look nearly as bad a job as it sounded from what other people were telling me. I think I should be able to do it on my own, so I'll save you some gas money and plan on doing it myself Saturday morning. If I get stuck, I'll call you. I'll start with the steering column bushing and then move on to the front sway bar brackets/bushings. Thanks!

stevedmc
07-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Be sure to use a press to pull the bushing into the firewall. I can tell you from experience that a hammer will not work. The bushing will fall out after a couple of days if you use a hammer and you will just have to do the job again.

I constructed my press using a big socket a bolt with a nut and some big washers.

Farrar
07-16-2013, 08:59 AM
I was planning to do exactly that -- I'll take the bushing to the hardware store, and find an appropriately-sized bolt and nut, and some big fender washers. Then I'll just turn the bolt or nut until the bushing is in place. The question is: will I have enough room to get my arms on either end of the bolt? I may need a big cheater bar to stick on the end I intend to keep steady, unless I can wedge a wrench in place somehow. I guess I'll see about that when it comes to it.

What about the bushings at the ends of the sway bar -- the ones that go into the lower control arms? Do they tap in, press in, or slide in with grease? I have some silicone lubricant in a spray can -- do you think it would work?

stevedmc
07-16-2013, 09:27 AM
The bushings for the front of the sway bar are super easy to replace. I've got a youtube video on how to do those. I can't remember how the bushings go into the control arms. I'm running a set of Heninger control arms which already had rubber bushings pressed into them.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Byrne only presses in the pivot bushings, not the sway bar bushings (Toby's kit is swaybar bushings).

I wasn't too keen on putting steel sleeves back against my freshly cleaned swaybar, so I substituted brass ones.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
07-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Toby's bushings have stainless steel sleeves.

Interestingly, his instructions call for dismantling the entire sway bar assembly and then reassembling it with the new bushings, etc. and include a warning that it is possible to mount the sway bar upside down so make a note of which side is the top. Why not simply replace the bushings one side at a time? I've found that doing things side-to-side is handy in many instances -- for example, replacing the console.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Mount the sway bar in the lower control arms first, then lift it up to install the crumple extension bushings. I've tried to use a floor jack, but it is too difficult to wiggle & finagle the sway bar to get the brackets to line up, so I just use brute strength (use your legs to raise the sway bar so you have both hands free).

Bill Robertson

Farrar
07-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I hope my ramps are tall enough for me to do this...

In other news, I talked with the lady in charge of Thursday the 25th and she said feel free to gate-crash the event -- but not literally. ;)

stevedmc
07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
But how much will it draw on my upcoming trip to New Orleans (A/C, blower motor 4, radio)?

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?118-DeLorean-Amperage-Draw&p=937&viewfull=1#post937

I'm confused. Is Bill planning to join us for this shin dig?

Farrar
07-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Is Bill planning to join us for this shin dig?

He hasn't given me yea or nay on it. I assumed you two were in cahoots.

stevedmc
07-19-2013, 05:46 PM
He hasn't given me yea or nay on it. I assumed you two were in cahoots.

Beats me. I thought he was mad at me about freon but now he is offering to make me an aluminum plate for my fuel filler cap. Maybe he got the wrong idea when I told him I loved him. Who knows....

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Wow -- spending the night at Steve's house could be more exciting than I ever imagined.

Your plate is rough cut and the holes have been drilled. Tomorrow I will make a jig to shape it, then discover how badly off my measurements in fact are (plate is still rectangular so it can't snuggle down flush in the recess).

Which brings up a good point: I am test fitting on #2508. Even if the holes line up perfectly on #2508, if your holes are drilled slightly differently the plate won't line up perfectly on your car. Fortunately that isn't really an issue -- two of the original holes have to be Dremeled out larger anyway so backside of the plugs will fit (clutch reservoir and drain thingy). Plate is 1/8" thick so it will hold the plugs just like the original fiberglass. If the filler neck holes line up you can use its bolts to hold the plate down (I'm not going to drill any pop rivet holes at this time -- they can always be added later if desired). Even if your filler neck is located radically differently from #2508 you can simply Dremel it out as well, pop rivet the plate down, and use the plate to hold everything.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
07-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow. Bill sounds like he is actually coming out here. What day do you plan to arrive and what will you be driving?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I successfully extricated myself from next Sunday's church obligation, so I am free through the weekend.

Farrar, Steve, and Bill need to communicate off forum to line this trip up (everyone else can watch from afar and thank their lucky stars they aren't involved). Street addresses would definitely minimize the amount of time Bill spends wandering aimlessly through the swamps of Louisiana.

In the absence of a brake booster, Steve's car isn't going anywhere. Might be best to pour greatest energy into the Farrarmobile (Farrari?). Could Farrar accommodate two people Wednesday night?

Bill Robertson