PDA

View Full Version : Pillorentia in Absentiorried

Duplicate Account
04-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Do vendors and members in the greater DMC community keep formalized lists of people not welcome to their services, or did that die with DeloreanOne?

Boo
04-15-2014, 11:18 PM
What do you consider the "greater DMC community" certainly not this site. (Sarcasm of course)
Let them have a shitlist, I won't ever be on their appointment list anyway, especially that DPI guy.

Boo
04-15-2014, 11:20 PM
I wish I could photoshop a picture that said DPI's least wanted and had Bill's face on it. That would be classic! I just don't have the technical skills though. Paging NightFlyer!

Duplicate Account
04-15-2014, 11:22 PM
LOL, once again after midnight and the site comes alive. Gotta turn in, folks. Goodnight, John Boy.

Boo
04-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Good night Pa.

Boo
04-15-2014, 11:26 PM
I have the unfair advantage of being off all week. Even my 10 and 5 year olds are still up.

DPI JOSH
04-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Do vendors and members in the greater DMC community keep formalized lists of people not welcome to their services, or did that die with DeloreanOne?

No it's a joke. If someone really wants something they just buy it through someone else. It's referenced as the end all be all in this community after years of use by d1. All joking aside there are only a few people I avoid completely due to payment issues. None are even forum members. No formal lists here and I doubt anywhere else either.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Now I'm really confused: am I blacklisted or not?

(I've never purchased anything from Josh, so I can't be blacklisted for payment issues).

Bill Robertson

Boglin
04-16-2014, 08:16 AM
Man how did you go all these years without buying anything from Josh? No little stainless brackets here or there? I eat that shit up like candy!

Boo
04-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Josh seems to be in a much better mood this morning. Maybe he's just a morning person, not a 1 o'clock in the morning person. LOL
:)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Man how did you go all these years without buying anything from Josh? No little stainless brackets here or there? I eat that shit up like candy!

Rustoleum. Lots of Rustoleum.

Buy stock in the Rustoleum company -- I'll make you a rich man.

Bill Robertson

Boglin
04-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Rustoleum. Lots of Rustoleum.

Buy stock in the Rustoleum company -- I'll make you a rich man.

Bill Robertson

The only reason you're saying that is because you've only been using the conventional can stuff. The aerosol tips that Rustoleum has now are absolutely horrible. Gone is the nice fine mist, instead replaced with a huge nozzle that spits and spurts, and makes it impossible to get any kind of an even coat.

I switched to Krylon/duplicolor/sem for anything aerosol now.

DPI JOSH
04-16-2014, 09:25 AM
It is the proven paint of choice Bill. We use a good amount of the professional performance black. The dry time is longer than you would expect but the results are amazing. The gray available in a pail (smoke gray) mixed with hardener is the best solution for touching up frames. They make a Comercial pigment as well. You can contour the smoke gray to match just about any condition epoxy. This product is more durable than the base por 15.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Rattle cans have their place & purpose, but you spend a lot of money on propellant that just blows away in the wind. Ounce for ounce you come out miles ahead with brushed enamel.

Bill Robertson

DPI JOSH
04-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Surface prep is everything too. Even if the part is blasted or dipped it needs to be treated prior to painting for proper adhesion. Pre clean 9000 or preferably 9001 are the best choices for final surface prep. 9001 is a faster drying formula and is better for complex components where the cleaner can puddle and saturate on the piece.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Caveat: Red Rustoleum doesn't hold up well to sunlight exposure at all. Black, white, and grey are fine, but red becomes very brittle and flakes off. I painted all colors on my service truck at the same time: white and black on the service body are doing great, even with rough duty exposure. Red on the air tanks is flaking off like grandma's dry skin and all they do is sit there.

I'm also starting to lose red stripes on my school bus. I'm thinking about overlaying them with latex in hope that loose bits will hang on to paint that's still adhering (I really don't want to strip it all down and paint it again).

Bill Robertson

DPI JOSH
04-16-2014, 09:35 AM
I've never tried anything other than black and gray. In non aerosol form you could mix in a uv inhibitor. But if the ratio is wrong you will be nasty runs. Inhibitors increase the "wet" ratio making application harder.

stevedmc
04-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Wow. Did DPI Josh and Bill kiss and make up over night? I thought the drama was going to continue into the morning.

Now I know of at least two things that DPI Josh and Bill agree on.

1. Ethanol sucks (Discussion was back in the old Google Group days of DMCToday)
2. Rustoleum Rocks

I could be completely wrong here, but is it possible that Bill and DPI Josh were both sharing the Earl Hickey account on Talk? I have a strange suspicion that there is some sort of conspiracy going on between the two.

stevedmc
04-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Oh, and one more.

3. DPI lower control arms are better than stock. They disagree on who has the best control arms available at the moment, but they do agree that the DPI lower control arms are better than OEM.

DPI JOSH
04-16-2014, 10:02 AM
After working through extensive anger towards the situation. Not to mention having a little fun throwing it back I have decided to be the only full service vendor to actively work with this forum. I will do my best to help from a technical angle as much as possible when questions arise and add input to discussions. From here on out I will actively ignore any attempts to bait myself or company into pointless conversations. I will to give this a positive try but lets keep it subjective to things involving the car and not unfortunate situations regarding poor vendor relations.

stevedmc
04-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Josh, sucks.

stevedmc
04-16-2014, 10:04 AM
I'm just kidding sir. Its good to hear you were joking about acting like Delorean One. Honestly, those posts were a bit scarey.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-16-2014, 10:12 AM
2. Rustoleum Rocks

I'm not saying the world rotates on Rustoleum, only that amongst easily obtained ready mixed alternatives it's probably your best choice. Laid on thick enough (I use 10 coats) it's every bit as durable as powder coating, red notwithstanding. Even so, as my front suspension demonstrates, big enough impacts will damage it and it's definitely no match for road rash (powder coating wouldn't be either).

Bill Robertson

Boo
04-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Seems as if last night Bill's involvement in DPI products would void warranties, but today if DPI offers rustoleum, they will use Bill as a product endorsement. I'm just kidding, at least that's how josh presented it after going back and forth with Bill about the warranty thing.
But this was in jest, just so everyone knows.
;)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-16-2014, 10:31 AM
You need to paint with your brain engaged. For example, while I brushed the hell out of my radiator's side channels, I only gave the central core a light rattle can dusting to preserve air flow.

Bill Robertson

Boo
04-16-2014, 10:45 AM
After working through extensive anger towards the situation. Not to mention having a little fun throwing it back I have decided to be the only full service vendor to actively work with this forum. I will do my best to help from a technical angle as much as possible when questions arise and add input to discussions. From here on out I will actively ignore any attempts to bait myself or company into pointless conversations. I will to give this a positive try but lets keep it subjective to things involving the car and not unfortunate situations regarding poor vendor relations.

There you go!
Now you're getting it Josh! It took me a while to get it too, hence my avatar title.
Welcome to DMCToday.

Boo
04-16-2014, 10:50 AM
DPI Josh, we still won't be able to "hang" at DMA spring social though. It's the day after my wife's last chemotherapy session so I can't make it.
Maybe another time and we can have a good laugh over all of this!

DPI JOSH
04-16-2014, 11:02 AM
DPI Josh, we still won't be able to "hang" at DMA spring social though. It's the day after my wife's last chemotherapy session so I can't make it.
Maybe another time and we can have a good laugh over all of this!

Sounds good Lou! I have unfortunately been down that path as well recently with my mother. Very difficult to deal with. I hope everything is going well with the treatments.

Boglin
04-16-2014, 11:09 AM
The only material I find suitable is stainless. To me, it would better to spend time figuring out how to make stainless perform the way you require than to try to find a paint/coating to stop steel from rusting.

Everything else has its problems.

1. Hot dip Galvanizing - does great with corrosion protection, scratches are protected by surrounding zinc, but cannot be safely welded, complicated prep, cannot be touched up.
2. Paint - OK corrosion protection, scratches will rust, but easy to touch-up. Prep work is simple.
3. Powder coat - slightly better corrosion protection, scratches will rust, more difficult prep, cannot be touched up with more powder.
4. Plating - OK corrosion protection, tends to change its appearance over time, scratches are protected somewhat by surrounding coating, complicated prep, cannot be touched up.
5. Waxoyl/Misc oil sprays - simple prep, simple touch-up, but needs annual re-application to preserve properties. Messy appearance.

Boo
04-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Sounds good Lou! I have unfortunately been down that path as well recently with my mother. Very difficult to deal with. I hope everything is going well with the treatments.

Yeah, 39 with aggressive breast cancer. That's what living on Long Island will do. Things are going well, just normal reactions to treatment and some not so common allergic type reactions to the Taxol. These days there's a prescription drug for everything it seems. Thank you for your good wishes Josh.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-16-2014, 11:44 AM
The only material I find suitable is stainless.

Pound for pound steel is overwhelmingly stronger. That's why they make skyscrapers and bridges from the stuff.

Steel also is less susceptible to fatigue cracking than stainless. I bent an exhaust hanger for one of my trucks from 1/4 inch stainless rod. Even with acetylene it microcracked.

Byrne's lower control arms do not need any paint whatsoever. Even in bare form they would outlast every other component on the car (body panels excepted of course). I paint mine for cosmetic reasons, especially since they are under heightened scrutiny.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-16-2014, 12:03 PM
I promise you: I am not making this stuff up. All 300 series stainless has the same yield strength as ungraded steel (60,000-70,000 PSI): http://www.spiusa.com/Ref001/300prop1.html

By contrast Grade 5 steel is 120,000 PSI tensile strength and Grade 8 steel is 150,000 PSI tensile strength: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/steel-bolts-sae-grades-d_1426.html

Byrne's LCA's are made of a high strength alloy, just like graded bolts. Don't know exactly what grade/class, but by definition it is stronger than any 300 series stainless.

And he uses 1/8" of it (1/4" spring perch and 1/2" ball joint pad).

Bill Robertson

sedated
04-16-2014, 02:11 PM
LOL, once again after midnight and the site comes alive. Gotta turn in, folks. Goodnight, John Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKzMbz0KLTE