PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Angle Drives

Boo
04-08-2014, 08:29 AM
The DPI angle drives are way better than the Houston ones and far more accurate than the Hervey ones. My Hervey angle drive still works but it's speed is 11% slow.

I have the OEM angle drive (still works) and the above 85 speedo. I think something is wrong because it says I'm doing 40 when putting along on side roads. It says I'm doing 80 when staying with cars on the parkway.
Anyway to calibrate things? I think I've been told no already. I think for LCAs the beefier the better, I would go for Byrnes if I could afford them. Still waiting for outrigger templates and DMC Carberation decals! Where oh where is Bill Robertson?!? (Said in the tone of Bill talking about archives) ;)

NightFlyer
04-08-2014, 03:32 PM
I have the OEM angle drive (still works) and the above 85 speedo. I think something is wrong because it says I'm doing 40 when putting along on side roads. It says I'm doing 80 when staying with cars on the parkway.
Anyway to calibrate things? I think I've been told no already. I think for LCAs the beefier the better, I would go for Byrnes if I could afford them. Still waiting for outrigger templates and DMC Carberation decals! Where oh where is Bill Robertson?!? (Said in the tone of Bill talking about archives) ;)

My angle drive and speedo are stock/OEM as well, and it's dead on accurate when compared against satellite GPS. If you have or know someone from whom you can borrow a GPS unit, you can use it to confirm how accurate your speedo is reading.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Original angle drive gear ratio is 8:9. Hervey's unit is 1:1 -- that's why it reads low.

Absolute best solution would be an inline gear reducer, perhaps where the Lambda box sits, and 45 degree beveled gears at the wheel. Would be pretty much bulletproof, especially with hardened steel gears. If I didn't have so much on my plate already I'd rig something up (for now I am content to buy Houston units as necessary -- I'm still running a 2009 unit OK).

Bill Robertson

04-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Original angle drive gear ratio is 8:9. Hervey's unit is 1:1 -- that's why it reads low.

Absolute best solution would be an inline gear reducer, perhaps where the Lambda box sits, and 45 degree beveled gears at the wheel. Would be pretty much bulletproof, especially with hardened steel gears. If I didn't have so much on my plate already I'd rig something up (for now I am content to buy Houston units as necessary -- I'm still running a 2009 unit OK).

Bill Robertson

I have the Hervey Angle Drive.
Better than what i had before. (Nothing!)
Busted Original.

Bitsyncmaster
04-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Bill Robertson

You could probably make up a set of pulleys and belt drive in a small box.

Dracula
04-08-2014, 07:11 PM
I had the UK angle drive in my car and logged nearly 30k miles without an issue; it's a solid, bulletproof unit that requires no maintenance and features heavy duty construction.

Available here:

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/shop/carparts/index.html

Unfortunately, out of stock at the moment.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-08-2014, 07:50 PM
There are several weak points in most angle drives:
1) gear teeth are not deep at all (like 1/32")
2) gears mesh into each other, which tends to bind them in the forward direction. You can feel this when turning the drive backwards and forwards in your hand
3) brass bushing on the spur gear wears oblong, allowing it to drop away from the worm gear
4) even when everything's working normally, the worm gear wears at the point of spur gear contact. You can clearly see this with a straight edge

If the .com archives are ever restored there's a thread where I pointed these weaknesses out, and the usual cast of characters argued against me. I have autopsied several dead angle drives from various manufacturers, thank you very much, and every single one of them exhibited some combination of the above weaknesses (has David Teitelbaum ever even opened an angle drive up?).

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
04-08-2014, 08:27 PM

Hervey conveniently forgets to mention that his angle drives do not have the correct gear ratio. I have sent him several emails asking about this and he refuses to acknowledge it.

I've gone though several of the DMCH units. The Hervey unit is rock solid but it does not display the correct speed.

The one I installed for Brandon B last year was from DPI. It looked identical to the Hervey unit on the outside yet it displayed the correct speed. I wish I had one of the DPI units.

Paging Josh Bengston. DPI angle drives are the pinnacle of Delorean angle drives.

04-08-2014, 08:36 PM
The Hervey unit is rock solid but it does not display the correct speed.

Well at least i have some idea of the speed i am going.
Thanks for the valuable info on these!

Bitsyncmaster
04-09-2014, 04:08 AM
You could try pulling the needle off the gauge and moving it to get accuracy around 55 MPH. Your accuracy at other speeds will probably be off but you really only use the gauge to keep you from a speeding ticket.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-09-2014, 07:15 AM
To recalibrate an old fashioned speedometer you need to either change the number of teeth on the gear that spins the cable (not an option for us) or change the spring that the magnet inside pulls against. In the bad old days there were shops that specialized in the latter. Now you would likely need to find an old/old fashioned tech who does it on the side.

Bill Robertson