PDA

View Full Version : Fan Speed - 1 - Stopped

SIMid
04-06-2014, 05:35 PM
I have heard that if Speed 3 & 4 go, it's a relay each. What about fan speed 1? Discovered yesterday that 1 gave up the ghost. 2 to 4 are all okay.

Had a look at the workshop manual which was no help except for removal and refitting.

stevedmc
04-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Hmm. Maybe the switch is bad?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Speed 3 can also be the resistor grid. Speeds 1, 2, and 3 all pass through the resistor grid. It's a virtually universal setup.

Don't know the resistance values, and it's just starting to rain, but after the rain lets up I will measure my car. Speed 1 should have the most resistance, Speed 2 the middle resistance, and Speed 3 the least resistance.

Can also be the resistor grid terminals (they often get rusty from condensation). Resistor grid itself can rust too.

Bill Robertson

Boo
04-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Speed 3 can also be the resistor grid. Speeds 1, 2, and 3 all pass through the resistor grid. It's a virtually universal setup.

Don't know the resistance values, and it's just starting to rain, but after the rain lets up I will measure my car. Speed 1 should have the most resistance, Speed 2 the middle resistance, and Speed 3 the least resistance.

Can also be the resistor grid terminals (they often get rusty from condensation). Resistor grid itself can rust too.

Bill Robertson
Yes Bill, more resistance = less fan speed. It is entirely possible that the resistor coil for speed 1 deteriorated and broke off, cutting the passage of voltage altogether for that fan speed. I have a new houston resistor coil hanging around, I'll take a pic of it and post it here for reference. The picture may come through upside down, but in this case it doesn't matter.

Boo
04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Here's the link,to Houston's picture
http://store.delorean.com/p-7593-resistor.aspx

Boo
04-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Ok here's my,pic, 1 is the thickest, 2 the medium thickness, 3 the thinnest, and 4 is just plain direct.

Hey and the picture wasn't upside down even! (Said in a snagglepuss voice) "Exit ... Stage left!"

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Just measured my resistor grid:
Speed 1 (Pink/Blue): 3.2 ohms
Speed 2 (Pink/Red): 1 ohm
Speed 3 (Pink/Yellow): .3 ohms

It's a standard GM resistor grid if you ever need to replace it (about $10 at Autozone).

Bill Robertson

Boo
04-06-2014, 06:50 PM
$15 from Houston, plus incredibly inflated shipping of course. I think it's the same grid as the fiero too.

Farrar
04-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Cross-reference for resistor and connector: 1979 GMC Caballero. Available from AutoZone. (Must be ordered separately.)

SIMid
04-07-2014, 05:40 PM
This is located under the evaporator?

We don't have Autozone here in OZ. Might need to see if it's just a bad, rusty connection ... hopefully!

Thanks for the help!

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-07-2014, 05:48 PM
We don't have Autozone here in OZ

We'll send missionaries to establish an outpost.

Any 3 speed resistor grid will work, but the harness connector might not plug right in. It's only screwed into plastic, so even a different shaped grid can be substituted. It's in the airflow for cooling purposes (you can try it lying loose on the floorboard).

Bill Robertson

SIMid
04-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Cross-reference for resistor and connector: 1979 GMC Caballero. Available from AutoZone. (Must be ordered separately.)

Is there another car this part would be the same? We dont have GMCs here in OZ. :(

Looks like I may also have a dodgy switch, but first I thought I should change this as it is cheaper than the switch. Mine was a little rusty and I did try to clean it with no difference.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-15-2014, 07:03 PM
What models was GM building in Australia in the late 70's? Chances are they used the same resistor grid.

You can use any resistor grid, but only a GM model will be plug & play.

Have you measured ohms across your current grid yet?

Bill Robertson

Boo
04-15-2014, 07:05 PM
This is located under the evaporator?

We don't have Autozone here in OZ.

Yes, it is located under the evaporator.
Weird, we even have an Autozone in this little pacific island of Gilligan's.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Hmmm: an AMC (AMI) resistor grid might be worth a look too (try an early 70's Matador):

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Weird, we even have an Autozone in this little pacific island of Gilligan's.

Bill Robertson

Boo
04-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Bill, having fun with that high resolution satellite camera again I see.

SIMid
04-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Seems like we can't get them here.

Tried Ebay, but the shipping was stupid, was something like $28+!!

Really dont want to get one from the vendors as shipping will kill me there as well.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Just buy any 3 speed resistor grid. I know Ford sold F-150's in Australia -- surely your parts houses have replacement grids for them. If whatever you buy isn't plug & play with the harness connector make 4 little jumpers with quick connects on either end to wire it up. Grid just screws into ABS plastic so you can make new screw holes to hold it if necessary.

Bill Robertson

SIMid
06-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Just an update.

I needed some parts in the end, so I ordered the Fan Resistor from DMC. Installed it and Speed 1 does not work, but 2 does. So over the weekend, removed the fan and it was a sticky shaft that was causing the friction to spin. So with some WD40, she's nice and loose, all speeds are working now. Was close in getting a new fan motor, lucky my mate said pull it out first and have a look before coughing up more dosh.

NightFlyer
06-29-2014, 09:17 PM
...before coughing up more dosh.

Always good to see if you can rehab what you already have before looking at new :)

BTW - You Aussies sure do have a weird word for money/currency... ;)

SIMid
06-29-2014, 09:59 PM
BTW - You Aussies sure do have a weird word for money/currency... ;)

You reckon? Not sure where I got "dosh" from, maybe from my UK background? Who knows. I know some Aussies here use the term "Coin" lately. Maybe rubbed off BitCoin. Who knows.

NightFlyer
06-29-2014, 11:09 PM
You reckon? Not sure where I got "dosh" from, maybe from my UK background? Who knows. I know some Aussies here use the term "Coin" lately. Maybe rubbed off BitCoin. Who knows.

I'm just playing, but you already knew that :)

I'm actually a big fan of Australia (culturally speaking) and have a lot of Australian friends. I used to work with Mark Dodshon in producing 'The Big Backyard' weekly radio show back when I worked in the industry. Was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to meet Christine Anu back when she first recorded her now legendary cover of the Warumpi Band's Island Home.

SIMid
06-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Oh wow! Seems like Australia is kind of yr second home.

NightFlyer
06-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Oh wow! Seems like Australia is kind of yr second home.

Feels like it at times. Of course the common language makes things much easier :)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-30-2014, 12:01 AM
There is a hose from the evaporator box to the blower motor. Theory is HVAC air will blow on the motor, keeping it cool. Like so many things on these cars, theory just doesn't hold up in the real world. Excess condensation (exacerbated by clogged evaporator box drain) and rain water seeping past the fresh air inlet (exacerbated by clogged windshield plenum drain) runs down that hose and causes the bearings to rust. If you've got rust stains on your carpet directly underneath the blower motor, I 100% guarantee that is happening.

Many years ago I rerouted that hose into the wheel well as a secondary evaporator box drain, and was summarily pilloried.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
06-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Many years ago I rerouted that hose into the wheel well as a secondary evaporator box drain, and was summarily pilloried.

Bill Robertson

BAN HIM!!!

J/K :p

SIMid
06-30-2014, 06:10 PM
There is a hose from the evaporator box to the blower motor. Theory is HVAC air will blow on the motor, keeping it cool. Like so many things on these cars, theory just doesn't hold up in the real world. Excess condensation (exacerbated by clogged evaporator box drain) and rain water seeping past the fresh air inlet (exacerbated by clogged windshield plenum drain) runs down that hose and causes the bearings to rust. If you've got rust stains on your carpet directly underneath the blower motor, I 100% guarantee that is happening.

Bill Robertson

We noticed the slight rusty colouring on the bottom, inside of the fan and drew those conclusions as well. I did have water leaking into the passenger floor, but that was probably due to the blocked drain hole under the windscreen (which I cleaned out). But no "browning" on the carpet.

R U sure it's not a small dog with an itchy arse? LOL! jk.

But with some WD40, she spins freely. There was some resistance when it was pulled out. Might need to add some grease down the track on the bearing and shaft.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Don't put that stupid hose back on the windshield plenum drain -- just leave a big hole in the fiberglass. You will need to protect the fuel pump because in a fit of genius Lotus put the fuel pump right below the plenum drain.

See also this evaporator box drain mod (which has gotten a Dave Swingle seal of approval): http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?93-A-C-Evaporator-Box-Drain

Bill Robertson

SIMid
06-30-2014, 11:54 PM
Don't put that stupid hose back on the windshield plenum drain -- just leave a big hole in the fiberglass. You will need to protect the fuel pump because in a fit of genius Lotus put the fuel pump right below the plenum drain.

I hardly drive mine in the rain. Only did in heavy rain last year when Julee and Dave came for a visit in Melbourne.

See also this evaporator box drain mod (which has gotten a Dave Swingle seal of approval): http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?93-A-C-Evaporator-Box-Drain

Bill Robertson

So basically a plug?