PDA

View Full Version : Westboro Baptist Church marches on

Dead Lesbian Goat
03-27-2014, 12:12 PM
I was just reading a story about the Westboro Baptist Church. If you are unfamiliar with WBC, they are the ones who thank God for dead soilders and picket their funerals, and a bunch of other vile crap. The story alludes that the Fred Phelps' right hand man Steve Drain will be carrying the WBC's torch into the next generation. I became intrigued with the WBC around 2007 or so, not because of any appeal, it just amazed me how anyone could use God's word to spread such hatred and sorrow. If you think Fred and Shirley Phelps are bad, Steve Drain is right up there with them. I have read about them, watched several documentaries, and even listened to a sermon online from Fred P. It's pure hatred of pretty much everyone who is not in the WBC.

Now that Fred is gone, the new possible leader, Steve Drain, (who was a documentary maker himself doing a story on WBC and got pulled into the appeal of being more "righteous" than his fellow humans) is showing no signs of doing anything differently. I think this so called church gives the members a feeling of being above everyone else, of being the only ones in the world who "get it" and I guess that's intoxicating to a small number....a very small number. In fact as far as I can tell it's 95% one family and the family keeps spouting out kids who they promptly indoctrinate into their cult. To the kids' credit, once the children get old enough to think for themselves, some leave and leave for good because the "church" disowns them. I could go on but it's just a very sad story. For some odd reason I'm drawn to those who see things so differently from my own views,...yet believe in God..., scratch that, I don't believe in God...I KNOW God and I KNOW He exists. To say I believe infers there is some doubt. In the end, there is just no understanding these people other than they are clinging onto hate and self righteousness. They love to hurt people and rejoice in their pain and sorrow and for some sick reason they feed off the attention.

One of the best documentaries I have seen (actually 2) are from Louis Theroux who is a self proclaimed atheist. I really like his wild weekends documentaries. Here are his 2 on WBC...very informative and eye opening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxE6_VY8aM <First one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1oAsgzchA <second one revisits after some of the children have left

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
03-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Poor WBC has really missed their calling -- they should be orthodox Jewish, because their message is straight Old Testament.

Aside from the obvious fact that Jesus never once addressed the issue of homosexuality, "love" appears in the New Testament by a factor of ~20:1 over "hate", translation depending (in no translation does "hate" appear anywhere close to "love"). Whereas judgement and wrath do indeed figure large in the Old Testament, sometimes at God's hand and sometimes at human hands (often with God's blessing), the New Testament primarily deals with relationships, both with God and among people. "Hell" is actually a somewhat minor New Testatment concern, especially contrasted against its overwhelming concern with living well while alive, the central component of which of course is a healthy relationship with God.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
03-27-2014, 02:08 PM
My only personal experience with Baptists of any particular church was when I visited Temple Square while in Salt Lake City, Utah over the Christmas holiday. They were camped out across the street and were booing and yelling at those of us who were touring the Square. They were also passing out anti-Mormon literature. Things eventually became so heated between the Baptists and the Mormons that the Salt Lake police were called, who dispersed the Baptists from the area on the grounds that they were attempting to incite a riot. I never did learn why there was such animosity between the Baptists and Mormons, only that such animosity goes back to the founding of the LDS church and continues its prevalence today.

Interesting experience to say the least, albeit a sad reminder that hatred premised upon religion continues to exist even amongst the various brands of Christianity, let alone across the various religious/theological belief systems...

And speaking of my adventures in Utah, anyone looking for a totally surreal experience needs to visit the towns of Hildale, UT and Colorado City, AZ.

sedated
03-27-2014, 02:53 PM
I personally don't believe the WBC is a "church" at all. If you look at the makeup of the "church" you see that they're all lawyers. All of them. They also are not on retainer anywhere, and none have any practices. Where does their money come from? Inciting hate at different locations, getting assaulted, then suing. Their livelihood (and it's a good one), is based on their lawsuits for their ignorant speeches and actions. I'd not be surprised if not a single one believed anything they said. It's just their bread and butter.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
03-27-2014, 03:27 PM
... they're all lawyers. All of them.

Paging Josh.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
03-28-2014, 05:19 PM
My only personal experience with Baptists of any particular church

Most Baptists are really good people but with any denomination of Christianity, there can be some haters who really aren't Christian at all.

For what its worth, I am a Christian and I believe my faith is correct and all other faiths such as Mormanism are wrong, however you will never see me act hateful towards anyone who believes different than me. One of the great freedoms we enjoy in the USA is freedom of religion. Everyone has the right to believe whatever they wish, providing it doesn't cause harm to others.

I shouldn't say this, but personally I would like to unzip my pants at a Westboro protest and pee all over the ignorant fools. That is something I have thought about many times, however I would never do such a thing. I truly admire groups such as the bikers who show up to block the view of the Westboro people at protests.

Dead Lesbian Goat
03-28-2014, 05:42 PM
I guess I could classify myself as a Baptist...but I haven't attended a Baptist church in over 10 years. I go to a non-denominational church but if you didn't know that you would think it was a Baptist church and is based on Baptist theology. One of my favorite aspects about my church is their slogan: "Where imperfect people love to attend". There is no dress code, it's contemporary music(read lots of electric guitars and heavy drums), and it doesn't matter how you look or dress, you will be genuinely welcomed...unless you walk in with the intention of doing harm. In that case you will most likely be shot dead by any one of the 20 or so people carrying....We are a well armed church too.

I can tell you one thing, if my church decided their time was better spent picketing anything, even WBC, I know I'm at the wrong church. I remember a local church picketed the movies when the "Da Vinci Code" was released. I did go see the movie...It's a cool fantasy tale much like most movies. How strong if your faith that a Hollywood movie jeopardizes it to the point of you trying to stop it?

stevedmc
03-28-2014, 05:44 PM
I guess I could classify myself as a Baptist.

My dad thought my church was Baptist the first few times he came to church with me. lol

Dracula
03-28-2014, 06:12 PM
One of my favorite things that they had in the Army was the non-denominational church service. It emphasized a forgiveness, compassion, and spirituality that worked for the individual instead of a single church mindset that you had to adhere to.

In regards to religion in general, I think that it's more important to have a good idea and live in accordance with it because you feel its right than to resent an idea and follow it out of fear of the consequences. You should follow your faith because its what you want and believe, not out of fear and intimidation.

Though, no matter what denomination, I can't stand people who push their religious agenda on you with tones of moral superiority; ironically, I've found one of the worst offenders to be Atheists. My idea of religion states that as long as you're a good person and do mostly good; we all have minor indiscretions, then you're OK. If someone doesn't agree 100% with you, it doesn't mean that they are wrong and must be re-educated, just that they see things from a different perspective.

As in life, there are countless roads that lead to a single destination.

Dead Lesbian Goat
03-29-2014, 01:49 PM
Thank you Fred Phelps, your legacy continues: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/29/shes-accused-of-murdering-her-4-year-old-son-for-one-sickening-reason/