PDA

View Full Version : WTF (Ice Cream)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
03-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Spring must be springing because I just got a hankering for ice cream, so I walked up to Wally World (yes, I live within walking distance of Wally World) to buy some. What used to be 1.75 quart containers are now 1.5 quarts. Just how stupid do ice cream manufacturers think we are? 1.75 quarts may be passable as the old half gallon size, but 1.5 quarts is noticeably smaller. Are they eventually going to try to pass off quart size containers as half gallons? If the price of milk is going up, don't play games with the containers -- just increase the price.

Of course manufacturers are doing this with everything. What used to be a pound of noodles is now 13 ounces. What used to be 6 oz bars of soap are now 4 oz (I've even seen some 3.5 oz bars). What used to be a gallon of paint thinner is now 120 oz. etc.

I have noticed that a gallon of milk is still a gallon of milk -- moms of America must still have some pull.

Bill Robertson

Boo
03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
I agree Bill, but the manufacturers know people look at price more than size. So they feel they can be sneaky with container size and people won't notice it like the woud an increase in price.

Bitsyncmaster
03-17-2014, 03:09 AM
I agree. This has been pissing me off for years now. I do love my Ice Cream so have been watching that container shrink each year. Have you seen the price of Bacon (note the package is 12 oz. and not a full pound).

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
03-17-2014, 07:08 AM
Ice cream and bacon -- yep, Dave and Bill are dying young.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
03-17-2014, 10:54 AM
This explains why Blue Bell ice cream labels their packages as "still a 1/2 gallon." It's grammatically incorrect, but I guess it gets the point across.

Memory lane time: When I was a kid, I used to love visiting my great aunt in SC. She had Neapolitan ice cream in her freezer, and used to serve it with a knife: she'd cut across so that the serving would be equal parts vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate. Because the box of ice cream was so large across, the slab of ice cream had to be served in a cereal bowl. Those and peanut butter and banana open-face sandwiches toasted in the oven are some of my favorite food memories from childhood.

Boo
03-17-2014, 03:46 PM
I wish I could get some blue bell ice cream. Up north it's not available, not even in Walmart , that advertises it on their website. I got turned on to it because I went to Outback Steakhouse and had a chocolate milkshake only to realize it was hands down the best milkshake I've ever had. Very comparable to a forbidden chocolate fribble at Friendly's, but better. I asked the waitress (sorry, food server) what was so special about it and she said its because they use blue bell ice cream. Truly delicious. Imagine ordering it from walmart's website to be shipped? It would be soaked though the carton by the time it got to my front door.