PDA

View Full Version : Tow Dollies

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
03-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Did some welding on my tow dolly today (flux core: doesn't matter how windy it is -- please ignore the big patch of burned grass in my back yard). Tomorrow I am going to rewire the lights. While working I remembered an online argument I had with a certain self proclaimed DeLorean Guru on the old Talk.com (where oh where are those archives):

1) You very much can dolly a DeLorean. I dollied #5939 to/from Fayetteville (about 60 miles) to get its windshield replaced. #2508 was dollied all the way home from New Jersey. If I buy that museum car in Kentucky, it's coming home on a dolly too. There is nothing magical about a DeLorean that precludes dollying it like any other vehicle (remove drive axles on an automatic).

2) Tow dollies are not registered and tagged in North Carolina. I don't care what they do in New Jersey -- North Carolina GS 20-51 clearly states: "Exempt from registration. The following shall be exempt from the requirement of registration and certificate of title: ... (10) Devices which are designed for towing private passenger motor vehicles or vehicles not exceeding 5,000 pounds gross weight. These devices are known generally as "tow dollies." A tow dolly is a two-wheeled device without motive power designed for towing disabled motor vehicles and is drawn by a motor vehicle in the same manner as a trailer...."

Bill Robertson

Dracula
04-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Out of curiosity, WHY can't you tow an automatic in neutral with a tow dolly?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-24-2015, 11:36 AM
You'll burn up the clutch discs. If the engine isn't turning the transmission isn't circulating fluid.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
04-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Ah. I suspected as much. I suppose it could be towed backwards, but I'll probably rent a full trailer again.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-24-2015, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't trust a steering wheel lock to tow backwards any appreciable distance, especially a DeLorean steering wheel lock (#5939's has gotten finicky with age -- sometimes it locks, sometimes it doesn't). Irrespective, unless your steering wheel locks 100% straight ahead, towing backwards with the front wheels even slightly turned is a colossal PITA -- you are continuously fighting the car. I've done it for a couple of miles, but I'd never tow across state like that.

Just take the drive axles out and tow it frontwards.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
04-24-2015, 12:06 PM
If I take the drive axles out, then I'll have to reinstall them to move the car around to work on it, then disconnect them again before I leave.

If only I had a 5-speed...

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-24-2015, 12:27 PM
Just push it around while you're working on it. You'll have plenty of additional muscle power there. Bring the drive axles with you in case you do decide to test drive the car (helpful hint: run some zip ties through the bolt holes to ensure the end caps don't come off in the trunk).

Bill Robertson

Dracula
04-24-2015, 12:31 PM
That reminds me, how did the Porsche transaxles work out for you?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-24-2015, 07:23 PM
They are still sitting in their boxes. Until I need them there's no reason to throw away perfectly good CV joints currently on the car.

I did test fit them to ensure they are the right size -- they are.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
04-24-2015, 07:32 PM
I may go that route, then, if you'd be so kind as to post a link to where you got them. I have a bad CV boot and if I'm going to pull them, I might as well make it worth something.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-24-2015, 07:47 PM
They came off eBay. eBay is full of them. Mine were Made in Germany (shipped stateside from an American seller). Set of 4 cost about $120.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
04-24-2015, 08:01 PM
So it doesn't matter what model? Also, would I be able to use the entire CV axle from a Porsche?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-24-2015, 08:06 PM
I bought Turbo 930.

You can buy replacement shafts, but they're pretty pricey (about $250 each). DeLorean shafts are made of quality steel -- just knock the surface rust off with a wire wheel and repaint them.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-14-2015, 06:15 PM
I suppose it could be towed backwards, but I'll probably rent a full trailer again.

If I can drag this tub of lard with a tow dolly I 100% guarantee you can pull a DeLorean:

Bill Robertson