PDA

View Full Version : Friend just got back from a trip to Dubai, Singapore and Thailand. His conclusion:

Duplicate Account
03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
they are kicking our asses over there. Better infrastrature and technology, cleaner. Stuff works. He marvelled at the difference between, say, Dulles airport and the airports in Thailand. Sure, you may get your ass caned for chewing gum or the death penalty for smuggling a nickle bag of marijuana, but I'm starting to think that it might be worth it. We just don't get anything accomplished over here anymore.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
03-06-2014, 01:52 PM
New SAT does away with "prevaricator" as a vocabulary word: http://nypost.com/2014/03/05/essay-optional-no-penalties-for-guessing-the-sat-gets-a-makeover/

Enough is enough: I am emigrating Dubai, Singapore, or Thailand.

Bill Robertson

Duplicate Account
03-06-2014, 02:16 PM
They are just making a curve, like the LSAT. Probably a deal engineered with Kaplan so they can sell lots of new books and learning aids and expensive courses.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
03-06-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm all for curving -- just leave "prevaricator" alone.

"Pontificators and not-willing-to-face-the-truthers" just doesn't roll off the tongue.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
03-06-2014, 03:45 PM
You're talking about relatively small highly centralized and fairly recently industrialized localities, that were built up primarily by foreign capital/interest/investment using local near slave-labor. If we stopped purchasing the primary exports of these places, what do you think would happen to them?

Boglin
03-06-2014, 04:15 PM
You're talking about relatively small highly centralized and fairly recently industrialized localities, that were built up primarily by foreign capital/interest/investment using local near slave-labor. If we stopped purchasing the primary exports of these places, what do you think would happen to them?

I was really put off by Dubai when I learned how slave labor built that city and it's world-renown skyscraper.

Boglin
03-06-2014, 04:17 PM
New SAT does away with "prevaricator" as a vocabulary word: http://nypost.com/2014/03/05/essay-optional-no-penalties-for-guessing-the-sat-gets-a-makeover/

Enough is enough: I am emigrating Dubai, Singapore, or Thailand.

Bill Robertson

I actually saw that yesterday and thought immediately of you.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
03-06-2014, 05:30 PM
$10,000 question: do any of the Boo Boo's on Talk know what "prevaricator" means?

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
03-06-2014, 07:33 PM
prevaricator

pre·var·i·ca·tor [pri-var-i-key-ter] Show

noun

1. a person who speaks falsely; liar.

2. a word commonly used by DeLorean owner Bill Robertson (proprietor of the wildly successful DMCSouth web forum) to describe the Boo Boo's within the DeLorean online community who control the DMCTalk web forum.

Boglin
03-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Lol

sedated
03-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Dubai forgot something when the city planners put it together... sewage. Those pretty beaches are tainted by feces and used tampons. Don't go swimming with an open wound is what I'm saying. They have to truck their waste out, and sometimes the drivers get tired of waiting in the 2hr long lines and just dump. Literally. I have a feeling your friend went only to the best of the cities/areas in those places. I imagine I'd think the world was a wonder if I only went to downtown London, the center of Paris, and Manhatten. If you drive just a little way out of those towns you'd see the less savory parts. Dubai's sewage and indentured servitude. Paris's slums and mountains of homeless animals due to people throwing them out when they take their 2 month long vacations. The plethora of caned buttocks in Thailand for saying the King has a pimple on his face. The last one I made up. I just like the word "plethora".

AugustneverEnds
03-10-2014, 08:15 AM
You probably do get caned for saying the king has a zit.