PDA

View Full Version : Heat Riser Tube ( Do i need it?)

02-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Do i have to have this tube on my engine?
I freaking hate it!

Boo
02-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Do i have to have this tube on my engine?
I freaking hate it!

It does look pretty silly, I never liked those "dryer hose" heat stove pipes. It's to channel warm air off the exhaust manifold into the intake for faster warm ups. (Guys correct me if I am wrong here). With fuel injection I cant see why its really needed . I would remove it. I don't have one on my carbed engine. But if you start removing things, you may get "Robertson Rip-out Madness" for which there is no cure.

02-27-2014, 09:18 PM
I don't have one on my carbed engine. But if you start removing things, you may get "Robertson Rip-out Madness" for which there is no cure.

My K-jet is running fine right now. But if it ever goes all to hell to the point were i cannot straighten it out myself?
Then i will go carb. Doesn't bother me one bit to remove things.

stevedmc
02-27-2014, 09:31 PM
What Lou said. You pretty much only need that thing if you live somewhere where it freezes all the time. Shoot, come to think of it my car came from Chicago and it didn't even have that tube. Go ahead and remove it. Make sure you brag about removing it over on Talk. They should ban you shortly after doing so. /joke

Dracula
02-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Point of interest, this piece is eliminated with the Stage II package from Houston; which features a cold-air intake as well. That Houston says you don't need it is all the evidence you'd need to justify it on Talk.

As a more PRACTICAL example, I'd ran mine for years without one with the Stage II and an open intake because the "cold air intake" would suck in water during a heavy rain. You 100% don't need it.

Bitsyncmaster
02-28-2014, 05:15 AM
I removed mine and also pulled that sheet metal that collected the heat. I think the sheet metal was vibrating and causing some noise sometimes. I just pulled the temperature diverter valve out of the stock piping rather than buy the kit from a vendor.

02-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys!
Removing it tomorrow.

NightFlyer
03-01-2014, 01:01 AM
I removed the tube and valve just this last year, but left the stove connected to the exhaust manifold - maybe some day I'll get around to removing that too.

That's actually the biggest modification that I made to my car from stock.