PDA

View Full Version : Replaced my water pump (What Fun!)

02-25-2014, 08:30 PM
So, I started on replacing my water pump Saturday morning.
I finally was done today!
Cleaned the valley, Hit alot of snags.
When i got down to the water pump i quickly found out why it was leaking.
As seen in the picture below.
I also did away with the pipe! As i believe (Bill) Suggested?
Hose from pump to metal line!
I'm just glad it's over.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Little late now (unless you'd like to pull your intake manifold off again...), but next time you replace your pump I recommend replacing the three 8mm attaching bolts with stainless studs and nuts. Not only are they virtually guaranteed never to seize or break off, but it's a lot easier to simply hang the pump on the studs than to hold it while searching for the holes.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
02-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Nice job! :)

Boo
02-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Might as well do a cap and rotor while you can get at the distributor. Once the kjet is back on say good bye to the distributor. Beautifully clean VOD, mine is just all corroded aluminum flakes. Beauty living on the water !

Totally 80's
02-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Might as well do a cap and rotor while you can get at the distributor. Once the kjet is back on say good bye to the distributor. Beautifully clean VOD, mine is just all corroded aluminum flakes. Beauty living on the water !

For $75 I think I would change that slave cylinder too if it hasn't been done it a while. Quite a bit easier with the intake off.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-25-2014, 09:38 PM
I did this job about a month ago, but my experience was closer to Drew's (sans the Chinese food).

Autozone's water pump works perfectly, and costs a fraction of Houston's price, provided you have a bolt on pulley (it's a Volvo ap).

Bill Robertson

Totally 80's
02-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Where do you get the bolt on pully?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-26-2014, 01:19 AM
Aluminum bolt on water pump pulleys come & go. I've seen three suppliers come & go in the decade I've owned my car: Darryl Tinnerstet, John Hervey, and some guy in Britain (#5939 used to have a Tinnerstet pulley, Steve has a British one). I am sure someone will make another production run in the future.

In between times when aluminum supplies are available you can get a steel Volvo pulley from a junkyard -- note the upper A/C idler pulley needs to be removed to prevent the belt hitting the outer groove (Volvo pulleys have two belt grooves). #5939 is currently running a steel Volvo PRV pulley, and Sam has a steel pulley from a 4 cylinder Volvo (4 cylinder pulley needs to be shimmed out to line up properly).

#5939's current steel pulley (Tinnerstet pulley is going on #2508):

1396 1397

Bill Robertson

02-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Little late now (unless you'd like to pull your intake manifold off again...), but next time you replace your pump I recommend replacing the three 8mm attaching bolts with stainless studs and nuts. Not only are they virtually guaranteed never to seize or break off, but it's a lot easier to simply hang the pump on the studs than to hold it while searching for the holes.

Bill Robertson

Good idea! But... No way am i taking that thing back off!
I did replace the bolts with new ones and put Anti Seize on them.
Where do you get the studs?

02-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Where do you get the bolt on pully?

I bought it from this Nice Gentleman

http://www.dmctoday.com/member.php?46-bandit

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Where do you get the studs?

McMaster Carr -- the zenith of all things civilized (can I hear an "Amen" Farrar?).

But be very careful shopping McMaster. It's like heroin. Only takes a couple of orders to get hopelessly hooked.

If you are buying in 100 unit lots, I recommend Bolt Depot (can I hear an "Amen" Dave?). For large quantity lots they are cheaper than McMaster. Bolt Depot doesn't have McMaster's variety, however (for example, McMaster sells 7mm fasteners, Bolt Depot doesn't).

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
02-27-2014, 05:07 PM
I bought it from this Nice Gentleman

http://www.dmctoday.com/member.php?46-bandit

That would be the same guy me and Drew got our pulleys from. If I remember correctly I paid about $60 for mine including shipping. Money well spent and now I don't have to rely on Delorean vendors for future water pumps.

It took about a week for me to receive mine. For some reason Drew's took about a month, even after verifying it shipped. My guess is his got held up in customs somewhere in the USA.

Farrar
02-27-2014, 05:54 PM
McMaster Carr -- the zenith of all things civilized (can I hear an "Amen" Farrar?).

Amen!

But be very careful shopping McMaster. It's like heroin. Only takes a couple of orders to get hopelessly hooked.

Double amen!

Totally 80's
02-27-2014, 11:57 PM
Do the bolt on pumps have a higher rate of failing/leaking?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Leaking has nothing to do with the pulley -- shaft is identical for both pressed on pulleys and pressed on bolt flanges.

Difference is the ability to use a Volvo ap pump (parts houses do not stock water pumps with pressed on pulleys). Also you don't need a press to transfer your pulley to the new pump. And several owners have had their pressed on pulley's work loose (can I hear an "Amen" Sam?). The pressed on bolt flange is about 1/2" thick, versus approximately 1/8" thick pressed on pulley, so you've got four times as much meat hanging on to the shaft.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
02-28-2014, 08:33 AM
No to mention, I had a vendor try to screw me out of his 5 year warranty on a water pump. And he did screw me out of a warranty on a break booster.

I do my best to avoid purchasing from vendors whenever possible. AutoZone has a lifetime warranty on most parts that is much better.

Totally 80's
02-28-2014, 09:41 AM
My water pump is fine but if I hear or anyone else hears of someone remaking those bolt on pulleys I would like to buy one.

Is "Bandit" still on these boards? Any idea if he is making more?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Steve had a spare Volvo pulley at one time.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
02-28-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm pretty sure I still have the spare pulley but I don't recommend it. The thing requires all sorts of spacers to make it fit. Just send a PM to Bandit and he can hook you up. I'm happy with mine and so is Drew.

02-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Is "Bandit" still on these boards? Any idea if he is making more?

He can be found here also

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-28-2014, 11:15 PM
The thing requires all sorts of spacers to make it fit.

Must be from a 4 cylinder Volvo. Sam knows how far to shim those out (he's running a 4 cylinder pulley).

My junkyard has a PRV Volvo. Next time I'm down there I'll get a price (if the engine isn't seized I may get the whole engine).

Bill Robertson

04-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Update:
Haven't been on in awhile.
I had the back of the pump tapped and brass barb put in.
No more leaks!

Thanks so much! Bill !

NightFlyer
04-05-2014, 08:55 PM
AWESOME! Bill is the man :)

04-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Yes he is!
Always great advice.

bandit
04-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Hi guys, just a quick note, as I've just thread through this thread.
I've still got a couple of the pulleys & am just having some more turned, so if anyone wants one, it's no problem at all
Regards Julian
PS you can get me on the eurotec forum as well

04-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Hi guys, just a quick note, as I've just thread through this thread.
I've still got a couple of the pulleys & am just having some more turned, so if anyone wants one, it's no problem at all
Regards Julian
PS you can get me on the eurotec forum as well

I highly recommend Julian's pulley!
Looks great and high Quality.
I believe Steve has one as well?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Even if you just think that you may one day run a normal Volvo water pump, buy a bolt on pulley now and put it on the shelf. In the 12 years I've owned my car I've seen three different aluminum water pump pulley suppliers come & go, with NLA dry spells between them. I have no doubt after Julian's inventory sells out there will be another dry spell. Problem is: what if you need that Volvo pump when pulleys aren't available?

Can I hear an "Amen" Sam.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
04-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Put me down for another pulley sir. One lucky winner at DCS is going to get a free water pump courtesy of DMCToday.

Drewlorean
04-09-2014, 07:44 PM
I highly recommend Julian's pulley!
Looks great and high Quality.
I believe Steve has one as well?

Yep, as do I. No complaints here.
Works great.

Boo
04-09-2014, 08:14 PM
How much is that pulley Julian? Shipped to 11510? I think I still have the keyed pressed on one. I did buy an auto zone water pump way back when but never installed it. I dont think it has a pulley though. The autozone water pump was flooded by sandy and I haven't even opened the box since to look at it. My pump on Boo is fine, but I'm sure it won't last forever. Then again neither will I.
:p

bandit
04-10-2014, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, the total cost including shipping is 45.00.
I can ship them to anywhere in the US or Canada for that cost, so you can just order, as you wish.
If anyone wants one you can do it at my paypal acc. which is
justbandits@hotmail.co.uk
Now just to re-emphasise, I don't do this for a living, I sell motorcycle accessories, so used some of my suppliers, to do a few D' parts & I really just did them initially for my own car, but a few guys in the UK asked, so it went from there.
I'm more than happy to do stuff, if you guys like it, but it helps me out a bit, if you paypal it as 'gift' to avoid the charges & it keeps the cost down for everyone.
If you want to look at the few items I do they are here
http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=102
Cheers Julian

11-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Came home yesterday, Happened to look under the car and saw a wet spot on the ground.
I then took a look under the water pump in the valley (With a small mirror)
Sure enough a drip hanging from the bottom of the pump.
Do i really have to go through this again?
I mean i barbed it last time and everything!
Geez.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Could be a loose hose clamp. If your car was carbureted I'd tell you to pop the intake manifold off and make sure they are all tight (3-4 minute procedure).

Also, what kind of bolts did you use to hold the pump back on? Community lore is hex heads don't work right.

Did you augment the thin paper gasket with silicone? That gasket is so thin that any casting flaws or warpage will leak for sure (IMHO).

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
11-07-2014, 12:46 AM
Cereal boxes make pretty good water pump gaskets. Ask Drew.

stevedmc
11-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Hex head bolts work fine. Ask Drew and Steve Rice.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Yea, it's probably a hose clamp. Just pop the manifold off and tighten it.

Bill Robertson

Boo
11-07-2014, 09:03 AM
My engine drips coolant into the VOD and its steams off creating a nice fog machine Effect. I even still have that rusty pipe in the VOD. Been running it without issue for years now. Someday maybe Bill will come by and help me button that all up. I like the comradary of teamwork on my D. Doing stuff alone is kinda boring. And Tom and Dave have bigger projects than a sneaky coolant leak. And Boo has much bigger projects pending than a tiny coolant leak that's for sure!!!

I am happy that Bill and Chad got to drive my Delorean and my fiero this past summer. I just wish we had more daylight to mess with the car. I'd like to do another get together but I always feel bad about people having to pay for lodging nearby because my wife insists noone sleeps in our house. Hey maybe we could camp out in the back yard and have a few days of Delorean restoration going on this summer! Anyone interested?

Boo
11-07-2014, 09:08 AM
I bought stainless bumper letters and stainless door sill letters from the uk. It may have been Julian I'm not sure.

11-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Could be a loose hose clamp. If your car was carbureted I'd tell you to pop the intake manifold off and make sure they are all tight (3-4 minute procedure).

Also, what kind of bolts did you use to hold the pump back on? Community lore is hex heads don't work right.

Did you augment the thin paper gasket with silicone? That gasket is so thin that any casting flaws or warpage will leak for sure (IMHO).

Bill Robertson

Yes, Bill i know... Carb ! Hopefully first of next year?
(Wifey No Likey to spend extra money on Tin Can)
If Emperor Obama is kind enough to give me enough of my own money back?

I had to use Hex Bolts on it. I actually cut the Head off one of the original bolts to get the damn back off.
I looked high and low around here for bolts like the original. None to be found (Even went to a specialty bolt house in town)
Yes i used the red silicone along with the gasket.

It isn't a massive leak. just enough drips to annoy the OCD in me.
I checked today and it didn't even look wet?
Hopefully it can be put off till i can get it Carbed?

11-07-2014, 04:52 PM
My engine drips coolant into the VOD and its steams off creating a nice fog machine Effect. I even still have that rusty pipe in the VOD. Been running it without issue for years now.

That gives me hope this can wait till a carb,
How much the Stainless Bumper Letters and Door Sill Letters cost shipping and all ?

Boo
11-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Wow! I'm giving hope. Nice.
And especially with my religious affiliation you would think if any leakey cooling system was gonna explode, mine would.

I honestly don't remember how much they were in all (stainless letters) but a little email digging and I may be able to find out.

Boo
11-07-2014, 04:58 PM
I used the yahoo mail search function to search the subject stainless and this is all I got

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-sZ_j7sqk6zw/UHgEIAxzQfI/AAAAAAAABE4/NCgBrumBUic/s640/dmc_maket_2.jpg

But no one wants that and ebay removed it because delorean sent them a copyright infringement letter.

Ill keep the search up though

Boo
11-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Yeah , I can't find the info on the cost of the bumper and door sill letters. But I do know that the bumper letters did not come with adhesive, I used 3m double sided foam tape. The door sill letters did come with a thin double sided tape. Haven't installed them yet. I can take a photo of the adhesive tape on them and maybe Julian can chime in if he uses that adhesive tape. But others may use it to. I think I got mine though the Delorean club UK.