PDA

View Full Version : I am now the proud owner of a Delorean

sedated
02-12-2014, 08:04 PM
After a lot of effort digging around, I finally found a Delorean (and was shocked to find it so close). It's an '81 5 speed with black interior. It needs a good bath, and I want to take care of some minor TLC things, but I'm so happy to finally have my dream car! I look forward to taking part in this community. I can't wait for spring! Thanks for all of the encouragement I got from the folks here. If DMCTalk ever accepts me I'll try to talk there too, but since I was welcomed here so well... I will definitely be taking part here.

-Sed

Farrar
02-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Congratulations and welcome aboard, Sed! :)

sedated
02-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Thank you very much :). I look forward to Delorean fun.

thirdmanj
02-12-2014, 09:12 PM
She's a good car. Just a little tweaking and she'll be tip top.

Farrar
02-12-2014, 09:13 PM
She's a good car. Just a little tweaking and she'll be tip top.

...is what the previous owner of my car said before the fuel system went to hell. LOL ;-)

thirdmanj
02-12-2014, 09:15 PM
The fuel system is just fine thank you very much. Of course there's no way to be certain. If I'd had the resources I'd have EFI'd it. I do hope he gets to enjoy it and that I took care of all the major problems.

sedated
02-12-2014, 09:23 PM
I've not seen any issues so far. I'm pleased as punch. She's been running like a top and the short bit of good weather we had during the weekend was enough to give me a few minor celebrity moments. I had originally wanted an automatic, but I'm so glad I didn't hold out just because of that. Driving the manual has been fun too. As you know thirdmanj, my dad drove it home. First thing he said when he opened the door after was "This is a COOL car!". I'm going to order a couple of things to finish her off and make her mint. The only big item is the dash, but I'll be ordering some new floor mats and a new cargo net.

thirdmanj
02-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I've not seen any issues so far. I'm pleased as punch. She's been running like a top and the short bit of good weather we had during the weekend was enough to give me a few minor celebrity moments. I had originally wanted an automatic, but I'm so glad I didn't hold out just because of that. Driving the manual has been fun too. As you know thirdmanj, my dad drove it home. First thing he said when he opened the door after was "This is a COOL car!". I'm going to order a couple of things to finish her off and make her mint. The only big item is the dash, but I'll be ordering some new floor mats and a new cargo net.

Careful about the dash. If you do anything I'd suggest recovering the original, and NOT getting that bullshit that DMCH sells.

stevedmc
02-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the dis-functional family. Did James sell his car? I'm confused.

thirdmanj
02-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the dis-functional family. Did James sell his car? I'm confused.

Yeah.

stevedmc
02-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Wow. How long did you have it for?

thirdmanj
02-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Not sure exactly. 7-8 years maybe?

Boglin
02-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Why you sell James? And welcome, sedated. Are you in VA also??

sedated
02-12-2014, 11:11 PM
MattDavid, yes I live in Virginia too :-) .

Duplicate Account
02-13-2014, 12:05 AM
James, sticking to what you have for now?

Sed, congrats. Happy to be match maker.

Duplicate Account
02-13-2014, 12:11 AM
Oh, and just read your PM, sed. To clarify, I don't live in Hampton, my D does, with my folks. I took a job in DC and room for such things is a premium. This month i did buy a house up here, so if the weather calms down, I will need to do something about a leaky radiator and a few other issues, and make plans to eventually get it up here. But, thats several months away,. so I would love to get together with you on a warm weekend on the peninsula sometime this spring.

NightFlyer
02-13-2014, 01:59 AM
Wait, what - Peter Weller sold his car?!?!?!

Damn!

Welcome to the family sedated! I strongly recommend running a plastic coolant header bottle, the Ducellier alternator, original Goodyear NCT tires, .... :)

thirdmanj
02-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Nevermind Josh, T. He's a ferocious cunt.

ChuckD
02-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Congrats on getting your new Delorean, welcome to the community!

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-13-2014, 01:25 PM

Dunno about that, but his taste in movies is definitely suspect.

Only 12 more days until Blue is released....

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-13-2014, 01:26 PM
... I will need to do something about a leaky radiator....

Plastic channel or brass? I may be able to help if it's the former. Shoot me an eMail or PM.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
02-13-2014, 06:12 PM
I wonder if Sed is going to get banned now that he has James' car. Just joking.

Duplicate Account
02-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Plastic channel or brass? I may be able to help if it's the former. Shoot me an eMail or PM.

Bill Robertson

Its the ol' stock. I will take a pic where its coming from once we stop getting jetstreamed.

sedated
02-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the welcome messages :). Steve, I sure hope I don't get banned, I just got here! If I recall correctly, I saw a weird movies thread on here somewhere. I'll have to add my two cents because I have a huge collection. J, I still have to remember to get you your garage door opener.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-13-2014, 10:09 PM
I saw a weird movies thread on here somewhere.

I believe "lesbian" is the word you're looking for.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
02-14-2014, 12:13 AM

Love you too sugar cups ;)

NightFlyer
02-14-2014, 12:20 AM
I believe "lesbian" is the word you're looking for.

Bill Robertson

I think he's referring to the two movie threads that I started:

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?113-Movie-Recommendations
www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?125-Favorite-Car-Movies

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Nice try -- I'm pretty sure he's talking about Wasteland versus Blue.

11 more days....

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
02-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Soylent Green is people.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-14-2014, 09:37 AM
To Serve Man -- it's a cookbook!

Bill Robertson

tom kish vin.4357
02-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Welcome to dmctoday sedated, are you planing to go to the big party in June?

02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Congratulations! just stay here. I'm on DMCTALK. I like it much better here.

Boo
02-15-2014, 03:55 AM
What do you like better about this site vs. DMCTALK ?
Your car doesn't have a carb., does it?
I'm just curious about your preference, I'm not trying to stir up trouble...I promise.
:P
Welcome to the land of misfit Delorean owners !
It's comfy here I know.

Farrar
02-15-2014, 11:46 AM
"Sedated," is it OK if I just call you "Ted" for short?

02-15-2014, 12:24 PM
No, I don't have a carb. I'm not opposed to it either. DMCTODAY just seems to be more friendly and open. From what I have observed.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Spending enough time in the corner on DeLorean time out does that to people.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
02-15-2014, 01:40 PM
If nothing else, DMCToday doesn't subject you to a background check and scrutiny when you attempt to register.

Plus, we have fewer unwritten rules.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-15-2014, 02:47 PM
subject you to a background check

Oh my.

Biggest difference I see is Today'ers don't drink the Kool Aid. There's a lot of orthodoxy on Talk, some of it enforced by moderators, some of it coerced by other members. There's also a very narrow spectrum of "Talk Approved" innovation and experimentation. Within that spectrum innovators and experimenters are encouraged and applauded; outside that spectrum innovators and experimenters are criticized and ridiculed. The old .com archives are full of examples (and I'm sure they will restored any day now...).

My favorite .com example was Josh Bengston posting in big bold letters YOU ARE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE!!! That was in 2009. Half a decade later, of the thousands of motorists killed and maimed on America's highways, not a single one suffered even a scratch at my hand.

Don't even get me started on David Teitelbaum. I do not quote technical manuals verbatim -- including misprints and errors -- hence I am not a self proclaimed "DeLorean Guru." I do, however, drive my car more than 500 miles per year....

Sean Mullins is a pet peeve of mine not because I was the first person he ever put on time out (and the second person he ever permabanned -- Joey Gowdy beat me to that honor), but because he used to "edit my posts for clarity". That is just plain wrong -- to the outside world it appeared I wrote something I in fact did not write. These are car forums, not English 101. If you don't like what I've written delete it altogether -- don't put words in my mouth.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
02-15-2014, 02:59 PM
There's also asking someone to clarify what they said; it literally takes less than 30 seconds to type, "I don't get what you mean by ____, can you clarify it?" and click "Post."

sedated
02-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Farrar, you could call me "Ted", or just... Sed :). Most of my friends online shorten it to sed. Also, my Delorean is still running the original fuel injection. They never approved me over on dmctalk anyway so even if I wanted to talk I couldn't. I'm fine here, as long as I get to be involved.