PDA

View Full Version : Nissan mulling over small truck with 4 cyl diesel cummins engine

Duplicate Account
02-06-2014, 10:37 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2014/02/06/nissan-diesel-cummins/5249375/

What say you good people of dmctoday?

NightFlyer
02-07-2014, 01:48 AM
1/2 ton (1500) Rams are currently available with the VM Motori 3.0L ecodiesel, that just earned a 20mph city / 28mpg highway rating by the EPA.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/02/04/ram-1500-ecodiesel-rated-at-28-mpg/

While I love Cummins diesel engines, I dislike Nissan.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-07-2014, 06:25 AM
I dislike miniature pickups of any brand. They are like deceptive advertising: look like a truck until you actually go to use the thing. Helped a fellow move once who had a Ranger. Put one piece of furniture in the back and the bed was suddenly filled up. My full size truck easily hauled at least three times as much stuff (not only are baby trucks smaller around, but their bed sides aren't as tall). Guy at my church once had the bright idea to haul Sackrete in his Toyota -- same story, except this time it was the leaf springs. You can't even haul a piece of plywood in a baby truck without it hanging over the side. If you want a truck, buy a truck. If you want a compact car, buy a compact car. Hybridizing the two breeds nothing but trouble.

Bill Robertson

02-07-2014, 10:18 AM
There are few engines I like better than a 4bt. They work really well in full size pickup trucks. I had a Nissan 720 that I picked up for $500 several years ago and I was always impressed with its economy and utility. Having the two together would be a solid combination. With mine having just the 2.0 gas engine I consistently got better than 25mpg and it was rare that I needed anything more substantial. For the handful of occasions that I needed something more substantial, there was always someone who could loan me their truck or SUV. Naturally, I'd have to let them huff and puff about how awesome they were because they had a full size truck. That never took longer than 30-45 minutes to run its course though on one occasion the guy actually passed out from patting himself on the back so hard. Thankfully we were able to revive him.

My only complaint with the little monster is that a 472 Cadillac engine won't clear a radiator without significant firewall adjustments:
http://www.ls1dmc.com/images/truck/472Nissan-2.jpg

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Huff. Puff. I have three full size trucks [/pass out].

In my own defense they are all antique beaters, not $40,000 Prima Donnas.

Bill Robertson

02-07-2014, 12:17 PM
hehe

I like the pre 67 F100s myself. These days I wouldn't have a truck that wasn't full size and 4wd but there was a time when I just needed something dependable, got decent mileage and allowed me to haul trash or other items larger than a trunk. I'd venture a number of people find themselves in that boat.

Boo
02-07-2014, 03:38 PM
I had a 2003 ram pickup with a hemi when the hemi was first reintroduced. 4 doors and 4 wheel drive and that thing was fast! Ate gas like crazy! Would consistently get 11 mpg. But what can you expect from a huge truck with a monster engine? Still had better mileage than my 77 grand prix with the buick 455 big block i had in high school. Starting in 2004, dodge toned down the horsepower of the hemi. I guess I had the good year.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
02-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Chrysler had a good year?

Bill Robertson

Duplicate Account
02-07-2014, 07:11 PM
Keep in mind that the appeal is
1) a vehicle you can use in DC and get in certain parking spaces and be a 30 mpg commuter
2) still can use as a truck for small jobs
3) being a diesel, can put a couple hundred thousand miles on without breaking a sweat

In these ways, it seems intriguiging.

Farrar
02-08-2014, 01:07 PM
More fuel for this fire:

http://www.automoblog.net/2014/02/05/light-gallop-nissans-88-pound-zeod-rc-racing-engine/

02-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Keep in mind that the appeal is
1) a vehicle you can use in DC and get in certain parking spaces and be a 30 mpg commuter
2) still can use as a truck for small jobs
3) being a diesel, can put a couple hundred thousand miles on without breaking a sweat

In these ways, it seems intriguiging.

Also, when people go insane because gasoline isn't available (has happened in my area three times in the past 12 years) you can still commute without much of a hassle.

Duplicate Account
02-08-2014, 05:07 PM
In that you have to pay a new car excise tax it is unintriguing and kills the whole thing, but it is nice to dream. I hope they make it so we can see if it is as durable as the diesel toyotas in europe

NightFlyer
07-07-2014, 05:42 PM
The VM Motori diesel that Chrysler is using is turning out to be quite popular, just as I knew it would be. I still would have preferred them to use an American built Cummins power plant, as was originally planned before Obama's sale of the company to Fiat, but as is, it's currently the best game in town considering that neither Ford or GM offer a diesel in any of their 1/2 ton trucks or comparable SUV's.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/07/07/chrysler-ram-jeep-diesel/12300971/