PDA

View Full Version : Window motor repair

Boo
02-03-2014, 06:42 AM
I just rebuilt (really Tom and Dave did it, I kinda just stood back and watched in amazement once again ) my drivers side window motor. It is OEM. The track and gear were ok( thankfully so because those parts are no repairable due to being plastic and are just plain ruined if stripped) the electric motor was seized due to getting water in it. These two awesome guys took apart the motor, freed up the bearing that was keeping it from spinning, and reassembled it and now it works. Took all of about an hour, if that. As always a good time was had by all at the latest LINY DMC tech weekend tech session. Anyone on Long Island that either doesn't go to tech sessions with Tom and Dave or doesn't know about these guys, just doesn't know what a good time they are missing out on!
Now when I'm singing along with Gavin Rossdale, I can smile even more during his song "Boombox" when he says "...you move like electric window..." (Oh, good song, good song!)

Duplicate Account
02-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Here's to another two and a half years of your window working before it gets screwed up again!

Boo
02-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Yep! Tom said it'll fail again eventually, but not for another couple years. Saved me from spending a wad on an A-1 window motor, a guy on talk.org had a new A-1 unit for sale, but he wanted $230 for it. I actually found a crossover for the motor assembly, but it has a different track. It's from a European minivan, I forgot the model.

02-04-2014, 01:15 AM
When I pulled the electric motor and regulator out of my driver's side door, it looked a lot like 80s-90s Chrysler fair. The Chrysler setups are also popular for hot rods with power windows because they are so compact and easy to setup.