PDA

View Full Version : The aggravations of aggravating Maryland aggravations

Duplicate Account
01-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Based on the fact that I cannot even guess house valuations in VA within $400K anymore, I bought a house in MD. This unfortunately means I have to get the license/registration thing done. It's a PITA. Thus, here are my "TOP TEN REASONS REGISTERING A VEHICLE IN MARYLAND SUCKS."

1) They call it the MVA instead of the DMV.
That's stupid. It should be called the DMV everywhere.

2) Effective January 1, they have decided to give illegal aliens driver's licenses.
No, they are still not going to buy insurance. I promise. At least I am available to translate for them while waiting in line, it's not like the DMV -- er -- MVA is going to have enough translators. "Senor, tiene que llevar cualquier evidencia de su domicilio en el estado contigo!"

3) The line is out the door.
See number two.

4) If the line is out the door, maybe you could provide free wifi while we wait?
Yeah, right.

5) I don't understand all the requirements myself.
Maybe provide a website that doesn't have broken links? I don't understand if registering a historic vehicle requires owning classic car insurance or what. Or, do I have to also own a car registered to me that is not an antique? These details are kinda important.

6) You have to have an inspection BEFORE you go to the DMV --er -- MVA.
I can't wait to see what the emissions people are going to have to say about my unmodified Mazda.

7) It seems like getting a Driver's License requires ten kinds of proof and a DNA sample.
In Arizona they wanted a pulse. Pulse optional.

8) I feel like I am going to get shot here.
Gheeeeeeto! Next time I go into Waldorf. I think they only maim people there.

9) Even though I feel like I'm going to get shot, I get treated like a criminal.
There' s not a chance I'm going to be prepared for whatever weird paper you want when I actually make it to the window.

10) Bill Robertson
Refused to call in favors to get me a transfer to NC so I wouldn't have to go through all this shit.

Bitsyncmaster
01-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Your Historic vehicle does not need any inspection and I don't think they even asked for insurance proof. Now your daily driver is another story.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
01-27-2014, 02:21 PM
10) Bill Robertson
Refused to call in favors to get me a transfer to NC so I wouldn't have to go through all this shit.

?

I don't have any pull within the US Justice Department.

I do, however, know how to register a car in North Carolina that is titled and owned by someone else (that's how my church is using my school bus). It isn't a lien -- it's a normal registration indistinguishable from any other registration. PM me if you'd like to discuss particulars.

Bonus: after next year the car wouldn't even have to be safety inspected to get the tag renewed -- just buy the sticker and stick it on.

Not sure how property taxes would work (in North Carolina we now pay our property taxes at the same time we register the car). Must be some way to work around that.

Bill Robertson

Duplicate Account
01-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Bill Robertson has to publicly say he has no pull in the DOJ. In person, though, he's Blackwater, the warren commission and NSA all in one. Laurenberg is home to the most extensive underground command post on the east coast, which was designed and built by you know who. If you think about it, being an unassuming Delorean owner is perfect cover... But the secret trips to DC suggest something much deeper.

Boo
01-27-2014, 06:02 PM
I might make enemies with this but after reading this in Sam's post I have to say it.

2) Effective January 1, they have decided to give illegal aliens driver's licenses.
No, they are still not going to buy insurance. I promise. At least I am available to translate for them while waiting in line, it's not like the DMV -- er -- MVA is going to have enough translators. "Senor, tiene que llevar cualquier evidencia de su domicilio en el estado contigo!"

LIBERALS ARE DESTROYING OUR COUNTRY !

There, I said it. The me if you want but at least respect me for speaking my mind.
It had to be said.

Boo
01-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Bill said,"Bonus: after next year the car wouldn't even have to be safety inspected to get the tag renewed -- just buy the sticker and stick it on."

Please explain, you mean even though they don't check the car you still have to,pay for a sticker for the windshield ?
That just doesn't seem right.
What is the inspection sticker justifying if there was never any type of inspection?
In NYS (most corrupt state in the union) after a vehicle is a certain age,it only needs a safety inspection(blinkers brake lights horn ) and doesn't need emissions anymore. At least they do something for the sticker charge.

stevedmc
01-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Bill Robertson has to publicly say he has no pull in the DOJ. In person, though, he's Blackwater, the warren commission and NSA all in one. Laurenberg is home to the most extensive underground command post on the east coast, which was designed and built by you know who. If you think about it, being an unassuming Delorean owner is perfect cover... But the secret trips to DC suggest something much deeper.

It all makes perfect sense. Now we know how this "unemployed" man gets his money.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
01-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Please explain....

North Carolina is 35 years & out (South Carolina doesn't even do safety inspections...): http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/registration/inspection/

If you move your tag to December it's really 33 years & out because the inspection you get in Year 33 will hold you through Year 34, then you have 15 days in Year 35 to get the tag renewed.

My Lincolns have all aged out. Next year my AMC & DeLoreans will age out (December tags in Year 34). Then all I'll have left are the trucks (2018, 2019, and 2022).

Inspections are good for 90 days. My intention is to get my AMC inspected with its 4 cylinder engine in September, which will still be valid in December, then do the V8 conversion. Next year I will still be driving off the 2014 renewal, then renew in January 2016 without an inspection.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
01-27-2014, 07:14 PM
North Carolina also allows Year of Manufacture tags on vehicles at least 35 years old, but unlike most states you don't register the YOM tag. Instead, you carry the "real" current issue tag loose in the vehicle, then hand it over to the nice police officer along with your registration and proof of insurance (GS 20-63 d): http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-63.html

The tag on the back of your car is basically just a prop, unlisted in any computer system. Makes you immune from red light cameras, speed cameras, toll cameras, etc.

I've already stocked up on 1981 plates off eBay. You'll see one on whichever DeLorean I drive to DCS'16.

Bill Robertson

Boo
01-27-2014, 07:23 PM
We have the YOM plate option , but they have to enter the plate into the system so violations can still be issued. What do u mean an inspection lasts 90 days? We have to one annually here in NYS. You have to go get a new sticker every 3 months?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
01-27-2014, 07:32 PM
You have 90 days from the inspection to get the tag renewed. A September inspection is still valid in December.

North Carolina is all ape-shit over emissions. Didn't used to be, but they are now. Fortunately it's a visual inspection only, so all the crap I've had to put back on my cars doesn't need to really do anything. My catalytic converters all have tubing running straight through them (I don't like the way a hollow cat sounds). EGR valves are decorative only (exhaust & vacuum passages are plugged). Fortunately the inspectors I use don't give me any crap about missing smog pumps (I am *NOT* putting air injection back on my cars), but they do look at the emissions label and compare it to the engine in the car. That's why I can't upgrade the AMC to a V8 until after September (also means I am stuck with the fuel injection on my Blue Truck until 2021, although if it becomes obstreperous I will carburete it and register it in Virginia under a friend's name, which is 25 years & out for emissions purposes).

Bill Robertson

01-28-2014, 11:38 AM
SC has its fair share of problems but our DMV is not one of them. For us, the DMV always posts their current wait times and number of people waiting on their web site for various vehicle services. When you arrive, you're given a number, whatever forms will be necessary for the service you're after and you have a seat in the waiting area. There are numerous TV's that show you what numbers are currently being serviced at which counter and new ones are always announced. Typically, I do not have time to fill out the form before my number is called.

Also, there are no inspections of any kind and no helmet laws either. This may not matter to most car guys but I've owned a few bikes and my preference is to ride organ donor style.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
01-28-2014, 12:57 PM
North Carolina operates a very large franchise DMV network. As small as my town is, it still has its own DMV franchise, about a mile from my house (no TV's -- just a counter and a couple of folding chairs). I drive by and look in the parking lot -- if there are more than a couple of cars I come back later. And I'm on a first name basis with the staff. Not a bad way to navigate the labyrinth that is North Carolina Motor Vehicle Law.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
01-28-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm on a first name basis with the staff. Not a bad way to navigate the labyrinth that is North Carolina Motor Vehicle Law.

Even more evidence that Bill has secret ties within the government.

Boo
01-28-2014, 03:47 PM
Even more evidence that Bill has secret ties within the government.

I'm starting to feel that way too. Oh No ! Mr. Bill !