PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Small center console piece

GS450-Junkie
12-01-2013, 08:58 PM
I need a center console piece...the part that holds the ashtray, window switches, etc. In black...would like nice condition. Supposedly DMCH is remaking these, but who knows how long that will be....

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
12-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Offer Bob Mosely $75 for this one, then paint it black: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delorean-Center-Console-Elbow-Pad-GRAY-USED-Poor-Condition-/251389051991?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item3a87f48457&vxp=mtr

Paint it with rusty metal primer first, which is thick enough to fill spider cracks. Latex top coat is great for squishy vinyl pieces because it flexes, but true black is virtually impossible to do in latex (it comes out very dark charcoal). I did mine with an el'cheapo enamel spray bomb:

Still looks good several years later. If/when necessary I'll simply buy another can and paint it again.

Bill Robertson

Drewlorean
12-02-2013, 02:30 AM
I have one, not in the greatest condition. Mostly just dirty though... with a little cleaning I'm sure it could look much nicer. You'd have to paint it black anyways, as Bill suggested. For $75 plus shipping, it's yours if you want it.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
12-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I originally tried an expensive 3M spray on "rubberized" coating, but it didn't work well at all. Within a month pressure from my elbow cracked it (the can said "flexible" but it was anything but). Since I had already started down that garden path, I sanded the 3M stuff off and sprayed the insert with cheap enamel as a low cost experiment. I've been very pleased with those results.

In any other application latex works great. I've got trim pieces on other vehicles that are nearly 15 years since spraying and still going strong. But as stated, I don't think you will find a true black latex (base paint is just too white).

Bill Robertson

dmc6845
12-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey Drew is that defroster switch for sale? If so PM me a price!