PDA

View Full Version : Radiator leak through seal

Duplicate Account
11-21-2013, 09:07 PM
An old intermittent leak has reappeared in one of the side rubber seals of the radiator. (It started leaking when the car was brought back to more permanent running condition in 2009, but the seal built back up and it stopped leaking completely.) Now it leaks out just a little bit when it gets at top operating temperature. This is fine for around town where I can keep a good eye on the coolant levels, but rules out longer trips.

I'd hate to have to take the damn thing out. Is there a recommended sealing product to throw in the radiator?

Boglin
11-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Sam, I have no idea what you're talking about. It sounds like you may have an original plastic radiator. Did they really make them with rubber seals? I do have an extra brass one that came from either SpecialT or DeLorean One. I had offered it to Bill, but you are welcome to fight him for it - mandingo style. Bill, are you still coming up next week?

Duplicate Account
11-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Sam, I have no idea what you're talking about. It sounds like you may have an original plastic radiator. Did they really make them with rubber seals? I do have an extra brass one that came from either SpecialT or DeLorean One. I had offered it to Bill, but you are welcome to fight him for it - mandingo style. Bill, are you still coming up next week?

Yes, the original plastic deal. My impression is that the caps on either side have a rubber seal the length of the radiator. I'm probably describing this all wierd. I'll look for the picture in a bit.

I also have an unused SpecialT radiator, with attached fans, but I don't want to put it on unless absolutely necessary.

Bill's coming up? Apparently I am not good enough to be informed?! I feel left out. ;)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-21-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm pretty sure OEM end tanks are glued on (and crimped, but those typically rust off with age).

I'm driving up Wednesday and staying at least through the weekend. If Sam brings his car to Matt's garage we can have the radiator swapped out in an hour or two. I've done one in an IHOP parking lot....

Does Sam run 134? It would be a whole lot easier to throw his freon away, attach the condensor to the new radiator out of the car, then recharge after installation. I've got a proper vacuum pump now.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Is there a recommended sealing product to throw in the radiator?

Nothing permanent.

Best emergency temporary repair to get you home: black pepper. Pour it into the outbound coolant hose, not the expansion tank. Use an entire 2 oz bottle from the spice aisle.

Mythbusters stopped a radiator leak with a raw egg, but I'd try the pepper first -- only to get you to DC and a proper radiator replacement.

Bill Robertson

Boglin
11-22-2013, 09:26 AM
I swapped my radiator just prior to my trip to Chicago. Pretty quick job, relatively speaking. May want to consider replacing your fans at the same time if you don't already have the slim style.
I wish I had my D to join in on the fun. Dave S is working hard on it, though.

Duplicate Account
11-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the offer. Friday morning I'm going the opposite direction, down to Hampton. If you say it's an easy job for me to do, though, I may consider it. The good news is that the radiator I have does have the fans on already. The bad news is that it came from Special T. Any wonder why I'm hesitant. I paid a pile of money for that thing 8 years ago.

Those seats look great, MattDavid!

Boglin
11-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Havent heard anything bad about his fans. I think bitsyncmaster is using them?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Anything is an improvement over OEM fans. They move a lot of air, but are noisy and shake the entire car. Their current draw also negatively impacts electrical niceties such as headlights.

I measured amperage of my Toby fans once -- something like 5 amps each.

Bill Robertson

Bitsyncmaster
11-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Havent heard anything bad about his fans. I think bitsyncmaster is using them?

I did get a bad fan motor from Toby but he replaced it no charge. I'm very happy with his fans. I had (still have them if you want to buy) John's fans which worked fine but I just liked using the OEM fan shroud better.