PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft (axle) replacement

Doogie
11-06-2013, 08:29 PM
I posted over at the other DMC site, but thought i'd double down and see what happens over here.

OK, tomorrow I replace my axle shafts with rebuilt ones (all 4 boots on mine are torn, have been since ????). I've searched the forum and can't find anything too specific, so I thought I'd ask.

1) Can I get a socket on the bolts? (doesn't look like it). If not, is it just an open-end wrench 1/6 turn at a time? Ouch. OK, I'm a patient guy.
2) What should I torque the bolts too? If I can't get a socket on them, how do I use a torque wrench. Do I just make them "really tight?"
3) Should I use locktight? Blue or Red? None?
4) Am I supposed to bend over the tabs on the "shims" to prevent the bolts from working loose?
5) Is their an Inner and an outer direction? Or either way works fine? (remember I have a rebuilt set ready to go, does it matter which way the axle gets bolted in? If so, how do I tell which way is which?)

I certainly appreciate any advice you can give. thanks! Doogie

Boglin
11-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Sup Doogie. You can use a socket if you push hard. Torque them tight, but there's no reason to go crazy. There is a definitive "stop" that you will feel. I didn't have tabs, because I used DPI's stainless washers. I'd recommend them. There is no direction on them, so install them however you like.

Last thing, before you get started, make sure the zipties/clamps on the boots are not blocking any of the bolt holes. It happens, and they can usually be rotated out of the way (with some force) if they are.

Doogie
11-06-2013, 09:40 PM
thanks! I actually am using a completely redone sets of axles from DPI. I have the stainless "washers", new bolts, etc. Wasn't sure if I could get a torque wrench on those bolts or not. Thanks for the heads up about the clams being in the way, I'll be sure to check that! I'll post pics tomorrow. Thanks!

Doogie

stevedmc
11-06-2013, 10:24 PM
I seem to remember having to remove the bolts with an open end wrench. Maybe I am wrong, but yes it is a long process if you have to do it that way. There is no correct direction for installing the thing. Both sides of the drive shaft are identical. If you can't get a socket on the thing you will have to torch them according to German specifications which is "good n tight".

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Guten tight.

Everyone claims you can put a socket on those bolts, but I sure couldn't.

As far as torque is concerned: I wonder how many people who put blind faith in their torque wrenches have ever had them calibrated? Guten tight hasn't allowed my drive axles to fall onto the pavement yet.

Bill Robertson

Josh
11-06-2013, 11:54 PM
I got a socket on them, even got my torque wrench on them to tighten them to 30ftlbs :P

Doogie
11-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Guten tight is shall be! I almost wish the bolts were cross drilled through the heads like my '22 Ford T Transmission bolts are. Little bit of safety wire, and nothing comes loose! Oh Well, Guten Tight they shall be! Little Blue loctite to be sure also!