PDA

View Full Version : Fender Antenna - Fixed Mast OR Manually Retractable?

NightFlyer
11-02-2013, 12:38 AM
As some of you may know, 1798 currently has a fender mounted fixed mast radio antenna. It is a stock/OEM flexible whip style antenna, as opposed to the aftermarket replacements that DMCH currently offers, thus it's kinda rare.

My car did not come this way from Dunmurry. Originally, it shipped with the VIN correct windshield embedded antenna. While at the Troy, MI QAC, the original windshield was accidentally damaged and replaced with a regular windshield, thus necessitating the installation of the fixed mast on the passenger fender by the QAC.

While I don't necessarily mind the fixed mast antenna, and actually think that they're kinda cool in that they're not very common, I recently ordered one of the later style manually retractable fender mounted antennas from DMCH via DMCMW, as their website shows them as being NOS, as opposed to a 'replacement' or 'improved part,' and it was only $12.44.

Dave informed me that installation of this antenna may require extending a large hole into the fiberglass tub and impact foam, but I haven't removed the current antenna yet to see exactly what I'm working with.

So my question to the Today community is this - if you were me, would you leave well enough alone and keep the fixed mast, or would you install the manually retractable fender mounted antenna even if it requires some extensive modifications?

Vote Now :)

Dracula
11-02-2013, 08:41 AM
I want a fender-mounted antenna and want to trade my antenna-less fender for one with the hole already drilled. For all the complaining everyone has done about them, nobody has ever taken me up on my offer.

I, too, have a windshield antenna car and you're not missing anything by not having it. The reception was horrible. I presently have the later-style rear-mounted antenna.

Personally, I'd go with the stock fixed-style variant, as I like the solid antenna.

dmc6845
11-02-2013, 10:24 AM
I want a fender-mounted antenna and want to trade my antenna-less fender for one with the hole already drilled. For all the complaining everyone has done about them, nobody has ever taken me up on my offer.

I, too, have a windshield antenna car and you're not missing anything by not having it. The reception was horrible. I presently have the later-style rear-mounted antenna.

Personally, I'd go with the stock fixed-style variant, as I like the solid antenna.

I'd take you up on that, any chance your fender has the black dmc stripe?

Dracula
11-02-2013, 11:44 AM
No side stripe on mine; No notable flaws, though.

stevedmc
11-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Why isn't there an option for an Autozone unit? I vote for doing whatever isn't stock.

Boo
11-02-2013, 04:24 PM
HOw about an electric retractable one? I thought there was a Crossover or part number for that.

Boglin
11-02-2013, 04:55 PM
HOw about an electric retractable one? I thought there was a Crossover or part number for that.

I agree with Lou and Boo. If you're going to go to the trouble of cutting fiberglass and foam, then may as well put the electrically retractable one in.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Boo is an inanimate object -- it doesn't get to vote.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
11-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Boo is an inanimate object -- it doesn't get to vote.

Bill Robertson

Though it can still throw a fit.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Can't happen -- Boo is carbureted.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
11-02-2013, 05:54 PM
It still has DeLorean electrical, after all.

Boo
11-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Boo didn't vote, but if I was gonna vote I'd vote for the retractable electric one. Boo doesn't have a fit, but the k-jesters I blow by have a fit. My iPad auto corrected "k-jetters" to "k-jesters" but I left it because I like it like that. K-jesters, funny. :p

dvonk
11-03-2013, 12:11 AM
It still has DeLorean electrical, after all.

mmm, the Lucas curse.