PDA

View Full Version : An alternate source for rebuilt carburetors

stevedmc
10-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Bill is going to kill me for not rebuilding my Toyota carburetor myself, but I decided to purchase a rebuilt one today. The accelerator pump isn't working and the choke is stuck. I was going to rebuild it myself but a 1981 Toyota Corolla carburetor is a bit more complicated than a Motorcraft 2100.

For about $160 (Plus $50 core) you can get a professionally rebuilt Toyota carburetor from National Carburetors with a lifetime warranty. When the thing needs to be rebuilt again, just send it back and they will take care of it.

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/lookup.aspx?partnum=TOY280

They also have Motorcraft 2100 carbs for about the same price. I just thought I would pass the info along to anyone that is interested.

NightFlyer
10-23-2013, 10:40 PM
That sounds like a great price to me - especially with a lifetime warranty!

But yeah, Bill is going to kill you :)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
10-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Bill really doesn't care, but $160 versus a $20 kit? Oh well -- it's only money.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
10-24-2013, 12:57 AM
FWIW: Farrar has a professionally rebuilt carb. Steve and Drew have Bill rebuilt carbs. Next time your cars are together, check out the following on Farrar's carb:
- Rusting linkages
- Extra vacuum barbs with rubber caps in whatever state of deterioration
Note also the locked together throttle linkage (phillips head machine screw that holds the two pieces together) -- hole has to be drilled for that.

Steve's carb didn't come with a PCV barb -- I drilled and tapped that. I also pulled his bowl to charcoal canister barb out and plugged the hole.

Drew's carb didn't even have a spark advance barb -- I drilled and tapped that too.

Just saying....

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
10-24-2013, 09:15 AM
I do feel very silly purchasing a rebuilt carburetor but there are some advantages.

For one, documentation for Toyota carburetors are nothing compared to the vast information out there regarding Motorcraft 2100 carbs. I searched YouTube and could not find info on how to rebuild a Toyota carb.

Second, there are a ton of connections to this carburetor. Since I am not familiar with it, my plan is to transfer the connections from my old carb to the new carburetor one piece at a time. The way I see it, this will help prevent me from screwing things up.

Another nice thing, is this carburetor has a lifetime warranty. Should it need a rebuild in five years, I can simply send it back to the company and they will take care of it for me.

I'm an idiot, I know, but at least my Delorean runs.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
10-24-2013, 10:31 AM
... there are a ton of connections to this carburetor....

Late 70's/early 80's emissions shit. Throw it all away. You only need five'ish hoses in the engine compartment:
- Fuel
- PCV breather
- PCV
- Spark advance (some vehicle have electronic advance, such as Ford TFI, but you still need a hose to the MAP sensor for it to work right)
- Brake booster/HVAC/vacuum operated accessories such as headlight doors

If your carb needs a bunch of external vacuum signals to work right, throw it away too and replace it with one that responds to venturi airflow alone.

I am getting ready to de-emission my second school bus -- I will photograph it first next to my Red Bus for comparison.

Bill Robertson

Duplicate Account
10-24-2013, 11:15 AM
My Dad just took his carb apart on his free 87 Mighty Max Mitsu pickup... (Why does Mitsu exist? To prove that Japanese can build unreliable cars too!) It has California Emissions crap all over it... I've never seen so many hoses going this way and that. They also built a lot of different versions of the same carb so he got the wrong rebuild kit and is trying to "make it work." It's the same situation as Steve: most are long since crushed and there's not an enthusiast community to speak of because, well, why would there be.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
10-24-2013, 11:33 AM
How big is the engine in Steve's Toyota? In the 1960's Autolite made a .98" 2100, well suited for about 2 liters, that could be adapted.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
10-24-2013, 02:40 PM
As promised:

Sh*t:

I assure you, there *IS* a carburetor buried in there (POS Holley -- it's behind the air injection diverter valve...).

Shinola:

Readily visible carb is an Autolite 4100. Notice the lack of air injection rails (the poor thing came with *TWO* smog pumps -- one for each side). EGR spacer has been left in place for throttle bracket clearance but it's capped off.

Three guesses which bus runs better, first two don't count.

Bill Robertson