PDA

View Full Version : An easy way to increase airflow to the center AC vents

stevedmc
07-06-2013, 12:36 PM
This video demonstrates how I increase airflow to the center AC vents. I have done this for several people and each person has had a nice smile on their face after having this mod done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjq4gRyrWo

Chris 16409
07-10-2013, 04:25 AM
I have to agree with this modification. I've had my car set up like this for a while and am very pleased with it. I never taped my foam down, and one day the foam piece shot out, LOL.

Boglin
07-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I did this initially but when you consider how many other cars have the same setup (vents in doors) it makes me wonder if something else could be done. Faster fan? Better duct sealing? Additional fans in the door?

louielouie2000
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
I did this initially but when you consider how many other cars have the same setup (vents in doors) it makes me wonder if something else could be done. Faster fan? Better duct sealing? Additional fans in the door?

This is exactly what I've wondered as well. Surely after 32 years we can source a better HVAC fan. Probably one that pushes far more air, draws much less power, & is significantly quieter. That exactly what various folks have done with the radiator fans after all.

dvonk
07-10-2013, 08:42 PM
sounds feasible... toby's radiator fans, for example (from the website (http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K4001DP-A&Category_Code=9475)):

These quality high performance fans utilize the latest state-of-the-art electric motors, each delivering 1248 cubic feet per minute (CFM) of air flow per the manufacturers data sheet while demanding only 7.0 amps maximum power each at full motor load. For comparison, the stock fans taken out of our personal car were measured at a total CFM of 1100 for BOTH fans...

if a source for a better blower motor/fan could be found, it would definitely be an interesting experiment!

Kevin
07-10-2013, 08:56 PM

Some folks have had success sealing the door vents so that the air does not leak into the doors. I don't have experience with that solution so I'm not sure how effective it is, but it seems like a nice no-band-aid solution.

Something Steve didn't mention is supposedly the cold air can cause condensation in the doors and rust out your window motors, so that's another reason to correct this.

Farrar
07-10-2013, 11:10 PM
When I got the evaporator replacement kit from DMCMW, it came with a whole roll of press-seal tape. I had a lot left over -- I was thinking of using some of the extra to seal the door vents the next time I have the panels off. Some people use duct tape or expanding foam, but those are really messy solutions. I haven't had the door panels off yet, though, so it's still in a box in the garage.