PDA

View Full Version : new gullwing concept car from GM's Euro branch...

djdogbone
10-12-2013, 04:12 PM
saw this today. It's an "Opel Monza" but the badge is a Vauxhall

http://autos.yahoo.com/photos/opel-monza-concept-slideshow/opel-monza-concept-photo-1377092447159.html

dmc6845
10-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Thats the Buick Riviera concept from a few years ago rebadged. Opel and Buick share some products.

dvonk
10-13-2013, 01:23 AM
am i the only one who thinks it looks stupid?

not a fan of the 'double door' gull wing.

Dracula
10-13-2013, 08:40 AM
I've become less and less of a fan of gullwing doors altogether, much less a larger one. The issues that smaller ones already have would just be compounded.

Boglin
10-13-2013, 09:09 AM
I think gullwing doors could work fine if operated and designed in the same way as modern power rear doors on many suvs. I think much of the problem with them is how they are unevenly closed by hand.

Dracula
10-13-2013, 09:54 AM
I think gullwing doors could work fine if operated and designed in the same way as modern power rear doors on many suvs. I think much of the problem with them is how they are unevenly closed by hand.

Nope; the Bricklin proves this quite nicely. Power opening/closing can cause structural issues with the door frame and tweak the roof cage of the car out of alignment.

Boglin
10-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Nope; the Bricklin proves this quite nicely. Power opening/closing can cause structural issues with the door frame and tweak the roof cage of the car out of alignment.

But that was 36 years ago!

Josh
10-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Nailed it....

I hope you are being sarcastic. As Matt said, that was the mid 70s. If everyone thought like this we would still be riding horses around.

dmc6845
10-13-2013, 08:02 PM

The same car that got 175 HP out of a 351 cu. Inch engine. Technology and engineering has come a very long way.

Dracula
10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
And gullwing doors have yet to ever have an easy-to-use practical application and have been relegated to being a novelty.

Sure, it COULD be done, but the cost of them and the maintenance that is required on any set of gullwing doors is off-putting to car manufacturers.