PDA

View Full Version : What's this connector go to?

Farrar
07-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I found this while working under the dash tonight. It goes live when I turn the key. I haven't seen it on the schematics. I forgot to check which fuse it's from. In the meantime, can anyone help me identify it?

Thanks!

Dracula
07-06-2013, 01:27 AM
I want to say it's for the resistors for the interior lights; at least, that's what I think it goes to...

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Assuming that's right next to the brake light switch wires, then both my cars have the same loose connector. I just zip tied it to the brake light wires so it wouldn't flop around.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
07-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Dave Swingle says that some time during production, a change was made -- from having the brake lights available only when the key was on, to having them available always. He says that connector is leftover from the earlier "on with key" incarnation.

Fascinating. Now to see which fuse it's on...

dvonk
07-06-2013, 12:15 PM
yes, thats what it was... i knew i had heard about it before but for the life of me could not remember.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Keyless brake lights have an inline fuse behind the driver's left kneepad.

Everybody's all "oo oo, Scotchlocks are Redneck," but those are factory original Scotchlocks holding the fuse holder.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
07-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Factory-installed quick-splices also hold capacitors onto a bit of the harness behind the bulkhead. (I removed them.)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Don't know if I photographed those or not -- in one of my Facebook albums are bunches of pictures of noise reduction capacitors. I took them to prove Martin Gutkowski wrong about something (IIRC he was arguing that our little cars weren't absolutely chock full of them).

Speaking of which: a piece of DeLorean lore than simply refuses to die is that the instrument cluster is grounded via that bunch of wires bolted to the radio bracket. Nothing could be further from the truth. 3 of those wires are nothing more than noise reduction capacitors (4th is the radio itself, 5th is the wire out).

Bill Robertson

Sniglet10812
07-06-2013, 09:05 PM
What do you mean "the wire out"?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-06-2013, 09:36 PM

Bill Robertson

Sniglet10812
07-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Thank you.

Farrar
07-11-2013, 04:08 PM
If this is indeed fused +12v with the key on, could I use it to wire my headlights as daytime running lights? My headlight switch is broken and I can't afford a new one right now. Thoughts?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Headlights are on relays, so any circuit you use to trigger them is only going to draw a few milliamps (pretty much any circuit will work). Headlight relays are grounded, so make sure whatever you use is protected of course (unlike factory original wiring...).

Bill Robertson

Farrar
07-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure if that connector is fused -- I'll check continuity against the fuses I have -- and if not, I'll add one inline. I fully intend to get a headlight switch in the future, so I'm not going to make any permanent wiring modifications.

...although I am completely sick of plugging everything in behind the radio bracket for the Nth time. I'm tempted to make a pigtail or two for everything on that stupid bracket, so that I can plug the stuff in without cutting myself and dislodging the mode switch's vacuum hoses -- both of which happen every single time I put the damn bracket back in. Radio Shack sells 12-position connectors... Hmm.....

Thanks, Bill!