PDA

View Full Version : Pcmcia Wireless Ethernet Adapter

NightFlyer
10-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Hey guys,

The USB ports on my laptop failed and I don't feel like taking the whole thing apart to replace them (at least not right now anyway). So, I'm looking to get a PCMCIA Wireless Ethernet Adapter. Wireless G is all I need. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dvonk
10-06-2013, 10:59 PM
no way to say this without sounding like a douche: how old is your laptop that it doesnt have some sort of 802.11?

NightFlyer
10-07-2013, 12:26 AM
no way to say this without sounding like a douche: how old is your laptop that it doesnt have some sort of 802.11?

Wow - what a total douche bag! I'm only kidding :p

My laptop is a VPR Matrix 110-220A5 from 2002. Top-of-the-line model back then featuring a full magnesium case.

Only problem with it is that the plastic retaining tabs inside the USB ports broke off from repeated plugging/unplugging of devices, thus rendering them unusable. Otherwise, the laptop is still like brand new and I couldn't be happier with it.

I ended up purchasing a D-Link DWA-652 Xtreme N Wireless Notebook Adapter off eBay for $9.95 shipped from here, if anyone else is interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Link-DWA-652-Xtreme-N-Wireless-Notebook-Adapter-Draft-/400461073245?pt=US_Wireless_Access_Points&hash=item5d3d570b5d

dvonk
10-07-2013, 05:53 AM
glad you found an appropriate card... and thats quite the longevity for a laptop. i rocked my dual 2GHz G4 Tower (the thing is a beast) from 2002 until last year. wouldve continued to use it, but someone gave me an upgrade: a 2007 iMac.

i still use the G4 Tower to burn albums to MiniDisc using the optical audio out port.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
10-07-2013, 08:46 AM
My Compaq Armada has a PCMCIA wireless card.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
10-07-2013, 09:40 AM

I bet his car is even older. I haven't seen a laptop that takes PCMCI cards for about 5 years now. Back then only high end laptops still had the slot, along with real serial and parallel ports.

I think I used a netgear ethernet card for PCMCIA back in the day. Shoot, I think I gave a netgear PCMCI wireless card to the occasional ex girlfriend back in the day too. I don't know about now, but they used to make good products.

NightFlyer
10-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I was previously using a Belkin USB Wireless Ethernet Adapter.

My laptop was the first to feature an audio card with built in full 192Khz S/PDIF digital audio output. And the case was designed by F.A. Porsche. I ended up getting a pretty good deal on it back in '02 - $800.

From the reviews that I could find, it appears the the D-Link PCMCIA card that I ended up purchasing is tops as far as range, speed, compatability, and reliability go. They're also one of the few that are still being manufactured new.

Ever since '97, I've built my own desktops.

NightFlyer
10-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Got the card today. Works just fine with my ActionTec DSL modem/router and is providing great range and speed (better than the Belkin USB adapter that I was previously using.

I'm very happy and highly recommend this card for anyone looking for a pcmcia wireless ethernet adapter!

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
10-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Don't know who made mine. It's labeled "Wireless LAN CardBus Card" on the front and "Wireless LAN PC Card" on the back. Perhaps it's generic. Works great in my circa 2005 Armada....

Bill Robertson