PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Syria

stevedmc
09-06-2013, 01:24 PM
So I hear something is about to hit the fan in Syria. Any comments?

Duplicate Account
09-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Yes. Republicans have a chance to show they've learned their lession about policing the world. Only 9% of the American Public are in favor of this intervention, so of course, we're going to be firing missiles anyway. #IkeWarnedus

stevedmc
09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
What I don't understand is President Obama waiting until he has the support of Congress to get involved. As President, doesn't he have the right to engage a war for 30 days without any prior approval?

I'm not sure if or if not we should be involved. The President is going to do whatever he feels is right. My concern is, he isn't using his power for what it was intended for which is a surprise attack.

NightFlyer
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Both sides in the Syrian civil war have self declared themselves as being enemies of the United States. Thus, if we do go, in order to 'win,' we'll have to take out both sides and rebuild the nation in our own image, which will take much longer than the limited engagement that Obama's calling for, if not an impossible feat. Apparently, the lessons of Iran and Iraq didn't teach the current administration a damn thing.

Not to mention the fact that as a nation, we're broke. Borrowing nearly $.50 of every dollar spent, and yet Obama still believes that he can spend his way into prosperity. And, we don't need their oil.

In this situation, I believe that Star Trek's Prime Directive sets the best course of action for our nation to follow.

Wait for one of those morons to threaten our ally, Israel, and then go in hard and heavy with a no-holds-bar campaign. Until then, there's nothing to talk about IMHO.

tom kish vin.4357
09-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Syria strike update

As President Obama continues to push for a plan of limited military intervention in Syria, a new poll of Americans has found that though the nation remains wary over the prospect of becoming involved in another Middle Eastern war, the vast majority of U.S. citizens strongly approve of sending Congress to Syria.

NightFlyer
09-06-2013, 08:51 PM
At least all the liberal Democrats anyway - and they can take the entire Obama administration with them.

First one should be Nancy "we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it" Pelosi!

Boo
09-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Hear! Hear! ( or is it Here! Here!)

andy blackmon
09-06-2013, 09:22 PM
As an old Viet Nam vet, the war in which 59,000 American men were killed for ( you tell me why). For the last few years we have once again been killing American men for no reason. If we attack Syria you can bet your ass we will have troops on the ground in a short time and once more young American men will be dying for no reason. We have no business getting into every conflict in the world, if they want to kill each other let them, I say no more dead American men unless our nation is in danger.

Duplicate Account
09-06-2013, 10:23 PM
IIf I were in Congress I would advance legislation that if our troops invade, our VP and SOS has to go with them. And live there until the last troop pulls out. The idea is that these conflagrations would be resolved much quicker, if they are started at all. How do we get some skin in the game for the ruling class?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-07-2013, 12:03 AM
Obama painted himself into a corner on this one. A congressional "no" vote is really his best way out now.

Bill Robertson

Stainless
09-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Obama doesn't want to take credit for attacks on Syria, which is why he is seeking congressional approval. That way, if they vote against involvement, he can blame Republicans in Congress for not allowing him to doing anything about the chemical weapons. If Congress approves the attacks and things turn out poorly for us in Syria, he can blame Republicans for approving the attacks.

No matter what happens, Obama will continue to point the finger at anyone but himself. Our campaigner in chief is a master of dodging responsibility.

NightFlyer
09-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Thank you Stainless for giving us Mike Lee - currently one of the best in the U.S. Senate! :cool:

Historically speaking, Utah has been the most conservative state in the union, due in no small part to the large LDS presence/influence. Utah is also weathering the great Obama recession better than most states. However, California libs have slowly been pushing their way into the state and trying to take over - look no further than Park City. Don't let the California libs ruin your state.

As a side note, BYU TV's Granite Flats is one of two TV shows that I actually follow, the other being AMC's Breaking Bad. I'm so glad that BYU TV renewed Granite Flats for a second season - looking forward to the new episodes!