PDA

View Full Version : Dumping coolant after parking on a hill

mydmc5898
09-04-2013, 11:06 PM
I had a scare tonight. I was asked to allow my car to be used at an 80s party.
I drive the car to the house engine didn't cross past 215 degrees at the hottest point. 190 was about the average montering from the laptop.

Engine is the 3.0 conversion so the coolant system is the still the same as stock btw. When I pulled up to the house I had to wait for a car to move. My cooling fans kicked on and the temp didn't pass 215. So I back up into the drive way which is a very steep hill. One of the guys said he saw smoke comin from the right rear of the car. When I parked it and the car was level it was dumping coolant pretty good. It only lasted for maybe a minute but it dumped a lot. I still had some in the reserve. It only poured out of the overflow jug hose. Now where else. Temp didn't jump past 215. When I started the car the temp was still good.
Could it be because the climb and sudden stop?

Thanks
Darryl

Tomorrow I'm going to check the fluid again in the day light

stevedmc
09-04-2013, 11:13 PM
When is the last time you changed your coolant tank cap?

NightFlyer
09-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Hmmm.... now this is weird, but not necessarily a problem.

I'd check the fluid level, top it off if necessary, keep my eye on the temp gauge, and check the level of coolant in the overflow tank after each trip for a while.

mydmc5898
09-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Last time it was changed was in May.
It was randomly leaving puddles before the cap was changed. Always from the hose off the overflow jug.

When it finished dumping coolant, this time, it sonded like it was gulping it back down.

I was thinking maybe it was just the way the coolant rushed. It was a steep climb and a sudden stop.
The rear end went up first and I came to a quick stop because I couldn't see behind me so I had to gun the car up and slams on the brakes.

I'm going to keep an eye on it for now as I drive. Tomorrow I'm going to top it off again and run the motor until the fans kick on.

Thanks for the replies too, just had me worried. Never had it happen before.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-04-2013, 11:35 PM
How full was your expansion tank (ie: had you recently filled it up)? If you overfill the expansion tank the car will spit out however much is too much as the coolant expands. That's how we did it in the bad old days (fill the radiator all the way up, then let the vehicle spit out whatever it didn't want).

What everybody calls the "overflow bottle" isn't an overflow bottle at all -- it's on the pressurized side of the radiator cap. I call it an "expansion tank" because that's the purpose it serves, just like the air gap at the top of an old fashioned radiator.

Run a new longer hose from the neck down past the frame and it won't make steam -- just leave coolant all over the street.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
09-04-2013, 11:42 PM
How full was your expansion tank (ie: had you recently filled it up)? If you overfill the expansion tank the car will spit out however much is too much as the coolant expands. That's how we did it in the bad old days (fill the radiator all the way up, then let the vehicle spit out whatever it didn't want).

What everybody calls the "overflow bottle" isn't an overflow bottle at all -- it's on the pressurized side of the radiator cap. I call it an "expansion tank" because that's the purpose it serves, just like the air gap at the top of an old fashioned radiator.

Run a new longer hose from the neck down past the frame and it won't make steam -- just leave coolant all over the street.

Bill Robertson

Funny how JZD was once a promoter of the coolant recovery system, and yet didn't even see fit to install such a system on his own car, isn't it?

mydmc5898
09-04-2013, 11:46 PM
The tank was filled above the hose under the cap. Just right above that. I last filled it... Maybe a month ago? I haven't driven it much since. But in the times I did I know the fans were on.

As for the hose I did run a much longer hose down near the spring on the right rear side of the car.
So it use to, if at all, spray maybe some of the frame. I know the hoses weren't leaking. I'll check the cap tomorrow. Maybe it went bad?

I'll double check the hoses as well in the light. I ran the motor for a bit and didn't see any leaks though after it all happened.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-04-2013, 11:50 PM
That's way too full. You're not going to hurt anything but your wallet and the environment. In the future just fill it until the big hose connecting it to the return pipe is submerged.

Bill Robertson

mydmc5898
09-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Alrighty. That's more than likely what happened then. Must have over filled it. How much does the system normally take?

I have a few more questions to post tonight as well.

Thanks guys for the help!
Bill it's good to see you on a forum again. I was looking for you on DMCtalk. I haven't posted on there once I saw you weren't on there and Chad told me about this site.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Funny how JZD was once a promoter of the coolant recovery system, and yet didn't even see fit to install such a system on his own car, isn't it?

JZD didn't promote it -- that's the problem. He squandered Avrea's potential millions by simply letting everybody and his brother adopt the system free of charge.

BTW: David Teitelbaum is a big advocate of attaching a bottle to the overflow hose to transform it into a coolant recovery system, but I've never once seen him advise changing the radiator cap at the same time. A standard radiator cap won't work with a coolant recovery tank -- it has to be a special cap designed for that purpose. Guess David missed that paragraph....

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-04-2013, 11:57 PM
I was looking for you on DMCtalk. I haven't posted on there once I saw you weren't on there....

Involuntary.

I didn't leave Talk -- Talk left me.

Bill Robertson

mydmc5898
09-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Ahhhh, well I'm glad you are here and active.

Bitsyncmaster
09-05-2013, 05:05 AM
When I went to DCS-12, I took the D on the autotrain. The 1.5 hour drive to the train was fine. As soon as I got it off train I was running very hot. I think the steep ramp loading the D onto the train worked an air pocket into the cooling system. Did a bleed at the thermostat housing and problem never showed up again. I never bleed the system normally but that has changed my ways. I now will bleed it before going on any long drive.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-05-2013, 07:40 AM
I am a big fan of self bleeders, not only at the thermostat housing, but also at the radiator (not Toby's bleeder cock, but a true self bleeder attached to the heater core return:

575 576

Those are the only two high points in the system (other than the expansion tank itself, which is supposed to have air on top). Self bleeders ensure no air ever gets trapped because it is bleed automatically. Makes refilling a breeze -- never a need to lay on the ground, snap the bleeder barb off your radiator, and get a face full of coolant.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
09-06-2013, 12:27 AM
When I went to DCS-12, I took the D on the autotrain. The 1.5 hour drive to the train was fine. As soon as I got it off train I was running very hot. I think the steep ramp loading the D onto the train worked an air pocket into the cooling system. Did a bleed at the thermostat housing and problem never showed up again. I never bleed the system normally but that has changed my ways. I now will bleed it before going on any long drive.

Hey Dave,

I'm curious about the autotrain. Do you load/unload the car from the train yourself, or must you entrust it to one of their employees to load/unload your vehicle to/from the train?

Bitsyncmaster
09-06-2013, 04:40 AM
You just drive your car up to the station unloading entrance, they check your reservation and you go inside (I stayed outside to watch). Then a bunch of guys drive the cars onto the train (they were fighting over driving my Delorean). They only drive forward to load or unload the cars so don't need to use reverse. There were two other Ds there also when I arrived. Mine was almost last getting off the train in Florida (long wait). Train ride was OK but I could not sleep (bring sleeping pill next time). Dinner was fantastic and people met were fun to eat with. We were in an adult only car. Cost is high with two people.

NightFlyer
09-06-2013, 10:23 AM
You just drive your car up to the station unloading entrance, they check your reservation and you go inside (I stayed outside to watch). Then a bunch of guys drive the cars onto the train (they were fighting over driving my Delorean). They only drive forward to load or unload the cars so don't need to use reverse. There were two other Ds there also when I arrived. Mine was almost last getting off the train in Florida (long wait). Train ride was OK but I could not sleep (bring sleeping pill next time). Dinner was fantastic and people met were fun to eat with. We were in an adult only car. Cost is high with two people.

Thanks for the info - appreciate it! :)

mydmc5898
09-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Well I finally got back to the car today. I filled the reserve up just a little.
I ran the motor until the fans came on and all was good. I checked the coolant which was clean and I also checked the oil and it was just oil, not milky.
I like the bleeder set up. I want to do a lot of work over the winter I will add that to a growing list.

Thanks again!
-Darryl

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Pontificators and prevaricators (and self proclaimed DeLorean Gurus) claim that my self bleeders are "band aids." Kiss my butt -- they are labor saving devices that allow me to simply fill my car with antifreeze then drive it away. I'd much rather do that than laboriously bleed air time & time again, including laying on the ground and getting a face full of coolant.

Bill Robertson

mydmc5898
09-08-2013, 09:49 PM
The problem with gurus (who claim to be) seems like they have an ego problem. It's the same with any car. You have a bunch of loud mouth know it alls.

I've read and heard the rumors that your car is a time bomb waiting to go off.
Evidently this was years ago that your car would kill you or someone else. Going by evidence you seem to be getting around well, despite the gurus prediction.

If only these cars were time machines. I would go back and have the carb swap done to the 2.8.
I wonder if it would work on a 3.0?
Not to change subjects, but if I recall my EDIS is what screwed up with the timing or something like that.

NightFlyer
09-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Glad to hear that all is well!

Another trick is to jack the rear end up about 3.5 feet in the air, drain and flush the system, refill, run up to temperature, top off as necessary, run up to temperature again (if necessary), top off again (if necessary), and then lower the rear end. All the air will purge out through the header bottle and a manual bleed of the system is not required. I've only ever done my system this way and I've always run nice and cool - even under load while in stop and go traffic. Steve can attest to how cool my engine runs.

mydmc5898
09-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Yep! So far anyway.

I could try that as well. I parking on a steep incline and blocking the a wheels maybe would work?

My temp gauge isn't reading right all.
I replaced the sensor twice. However this one where the wire connects spins in place. Not in the head of the motor, but the fittin for the wire. It reads good until it hits 190 and then shoots to 260 and jumps all over. So I use the laptop to read the temp anymore.
I know it needs a sensor it should spin in place. But I'm curious if the sensors have all been bad or the gauge is shot?

Bitsyncmaster
09-09-2013, 05:23 AM
Yep! So far anyway.

I could try that as well. I parking on a steep incline and blocking the a wheels maybe would work?

My temp gauge isn't reading right all.
I replaced the sensor twice. However this one where the wire connects spins in place. Not in the head of the motor, but the fittin for the wire. It reads good until it hits 190 and then shoots to 260 and jumps all over. So I use the laptop to read the temp anymore.
I know it needs a sensor it should spin in place. But I'm curious if the sensors have all been bad or the gauge is shot?

Just cut the wire off near the sensor to remove the sensor. Then you will need to install a new terminal on the wire for the new sensor. If you tried to remove the wire off the OEM sensor you probably damaged the sensor.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
09-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Will a DeLorean (2.8 liter) sender fit your 3.0 block? You need to use a DeLorean sending unit because you still have a DeLorean dash gauge. An Eagle Premier sender will be calibrated for a totally different dash gauge and you will get inaccurate readings.

Unfortunately Houston has been out of DeLorean temp senders for several months now (I gave #2508's to Brandon Barber. I need a replacement before it gets back on the road).

Bill Robertson

Bitsyncmaster
09-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Will a DeLorean (2.8 liter) sender fit your 3.0 block? You need to use a DeLorean sending unit because you still have a DeLorean dash gauge. An Eagle Premier sender will be calibrated for a totally different dash gauge and you will get inaccurate readings.

Unfortunately Houston has been out of DeLorean temp senders for several months now (I gave #2508's to Brandon Barber. I need a replacement before it gets back on the road).

Bill Robertson

I bought a sender from John a long time ago. Never put it in because the gauge problem turned out to be a bad connector in the bulk head. Not sure what John sent me but I can do a resistance to temp test. I think it's a standard GM part he sent.

stevedmc
09-09-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm running a Hervey temp sender as well. I'm not sure a Volvo cross reference will work. Those have two wires that go to them.

mydmc5898
09-17-2013, 10:38 PM
Yeah the GM style fits and runs just one wire. There is a second sensor at the water pump which has two wires but they run to the ground and computer.
When I recived the car back a GM style was installed and wired in. I have since replaced it (May) with a stock on but still have the sane issue.

Could the GM style have damaged the gauge?