PDA

View Full Version : DMCH "New Build" DeLoreans

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-26-2013, 12:50 PM
One of the perennial myths that simply refuses to die, even within the DeLorean community itself, is that Houston is making new VIN DeLoreans. Some people even claim that Houston is getting them VIN'ed as kit cars.

From James Espy himself: "The cars assembled in Texas to date have all started life as original 1981-1983 model DeLoreans that have been completely disassembled and rebuilt with a combination of NOS, reproduction, and original parts. They carry the same VIN."

Screen capture of James' post:

This one needs to be put to bed once & forever: there are no new DeLorean VIN's -- period. The last DeLorean VIN was assigned in August 1982. End of story.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
08-26-2013, 01:14 PM
I tried mentioning the misinformation at Farrar's event last month. People seemed to get a little upset when I mentioned the media misinforming people about new cars being built in Houston.

Farrar
08-26-2013, 02:49 PM
I've always heard James say "I can build you a brand new 1981 DeLorean." Makes perfect sense to me, but I can understand an uninformed journalist not understanding what that means in terms of VIN. I don't think journalists are deliberately misleading people -- I think they're just lazy and need to take more time doing their homework.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Problem isn't outside journalists -- it's owners inside the community itself. If you go to Talk or the DML you will find owners right now insisting that Houston is getting brand new kit car VIN's.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
08-26-2013, 02:58 PM
DeLorean ownership is within the reach of the general public. Unfortunately, a lot of the general public don't do their homework, either.

stevedmc
08-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Problem isn't outside journalists -- it's owners inside the community itself.

I heard our front suspensions were raised to meet DOT bumper regulations.

louielouie2000
08-26-2013, 04:31 PM
I heard our front suspensions were raised to meet DOT bumper regulations.

My personal favorite is those who truly believe the louvers were an engineering addition whose sole purpose was to draw hot air from the engine compartment. Even when provided documentation & word from a factory worker that JZD simply added them to the production car because he liked to look of the Esprit's louvers, they are still vociferous.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-26-2013, 05:31 PM
True, but you've got to give JZD credit -- the car does look better with them.

Louvers are part of a bigger misconception: that these cars are the end product of Lotus' best engineering efforts. Nothing could be further from the truth. Lotus cobbled together a car that sort of worked -- that's it. Mike Loasby (a late comer to the enterprise) was horrified with what he found, especially the suspension. Rob Grady is running Mike Loasby's personal modified LCA's to this day. Loasby is also on a YouTube video complaining about fiberglass underbody tolerances (1/2" variance on all critical dimensions).

DeLoreans can be modified into quite reliable little cars, but you've got to deviate from Lotus design in several areas.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
08-26-2013, 06:00 PM
I hate that stupid rumor. It was THE reason that I removed the "Stage II" plaque at DCS '12 with a screwdriver borrowed from Mr. Rice.

I caught a lot of flak for that on that "other" site.

DMCH is guilty in this, too. They etch the plate with the year of the upgrade and call it the "build date" for the car.

By that logic, I'm going to try to sell the car as a DMCH "New Build" car next time.

Picture of offending plaque attached:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Wilson in Colorado had all sorts of problems with his DMCH rebuild. At one point he drove it back to Houston and stayed in a motel for a week while they repaired all sorts of QAC issues large and small. IIRC the car never ran right and he eventually sold it.

Bill Robertson

Duplicate Account
08-26-2013, 07:25 PM
...at a massive loss. He spent well over $70K at DMCH and DPI on that car. Boat money!

Dracula
08-26-2013, 07:30 PM
He could have bought my car twice over for that and had $10,000 left to spend on not-DeLorean fun; buying a NON-DMCH car is ALWAYS wiser.

NightFlyer
08-26-2013, 07:40 PM
I got a lot of "you know that they're building new ones in Texas" over the weekend. I didn't even bother to attempt to correct those comments.

Honestly, what upsets me more than the misconception of the DMCH rebuild program (regardless of who's fault it is - DMCH, the media, propagators within the community, etc) is how some people assume/presume that despite my 10+ years of ownership, that they apparently know more about my car, the community/experience, and the marque in general than I as a 10+ year owner know.

You don't ever see those self-declared DeLorean know-it-alls walk up to a guy with a '68 Hemi Barracuda and treat him like he knows absolutely nothing about his own car, do you?

There was one guy who was insistent that the body panels were aluminum and not stainless steel, even after I corrected him. Even other show goers were trying to tell him that the panels were stainless. I politely told him that I believed that he was confusing the DeLorean DMC-12 with the Cadillac Allante, and then proceeded to ignore him the rest of the time that he spent looking over my car.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Lamborghinis are aluminum -- I wonder if that could be where some of the confusion comes from (DeLoreans and Lamborghinis are so similar...).

Bill Robertson

Dracula
08-26-2013, 07:54 PM
I was having a discussion on Facebook about the phenomenon of people disrespecting the DeLorean and and the way that they do it EXCLUSIVELY with the DeLorean.

Copy/Pasted with names omitted for privacy:

Him: I got a lot of this when I was selling my DeLorean. At least he told you upfront what his intentions were. Some people wanted to come see the car and I could tell they were just fanboys and not serious about buying. So I would be selective on who I would let view the car. But I am sure you are use to people like this since you have owned a DeLorean for a long time.

Me: The WORST are the BTTF fanboys who want to see a "time machine" and want ME to take THEIR pictures in a stupid Marty pose...

Him: I got really tired of being yelled at with stupid quotes from the movie, and the fact that everyone thought they were the only person to ever say '88 MILES PER HOUR!!' to me. But to be honest it didn't bother me that much, what really got under my skin was the shit talkers. The people that would tell me 'facts' about my car that were completely wrong. Like they came with small blocks chevy motors and mine was just one of the ones with the small motors. And the guys that would passively talk shit about your car to impress their friends.

Me: Yeah, they're both bad. I get more annoyed at the people who touch the car, climb inside, try to work the doors, etc. What is it about the DeLorean that makes people see it as OK to play with?

Him: I know what you mean. I am a really clam person by nature and not a lot gets me upset. But I came out once and there was some dude laying across the hood of my DeLorean while his friend was taking his picture. I just about lost my shit. I yelled at him to get the hell off my hood. I was freaking out worrying my perfect gas flap hood was going to have an 'X' on it. I would seriously taken down the guys license plate number and info and made an insurance claim on his policy if his fat ass put an 'X' on my hood.

Me: It's perplexing how that happens to nearly all DeLorean owners and ONLY DeLorean owners. No other car I've ever owned has gotten so little respect.

Him: Seriously. People treat my Dads Chevy Corvair like its the Mona Lisa. They stand 10 feet back with their hands behind their back and admire it. And that car is worth 1/6 the price of the DeLorean.

Me: Same with my daily driver '72 Eldorado; nobody has ever tried to open the door and sit inside it or rubbed the body and knocked their knuckles on it.

Him: I hated when people would touch the DeLorean I would spend forever cleaning it and some slob would put their greasy mits all over the stainless. And it would be a pain to get clean. It was annoying because I would rarely touch the stainless.

Me: I gave up on washing it before a show, then I gave up on shows.

I don't want to own the car if I can't enjoy using it, plus I really want a '59 Cadillac.

stevedmc
08-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Chad forgot to include my comment.

Dracula
08-26-2013, 08:23 PM
That's because your comment was relevant to the original post, but not to the tangent that's relevant to this thread.

NightFlyer
08-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Lamborghinis are aluminum -- I wonder if that could be where some of the confusion comes from (DeLoreans and Lamborghinis are so similar...).

Bill Robertson

I commonly confuse my DeLorean with Countach's and Jalpa's whenever I happen to park next to one at a show - it's really quite embarrassing actually :p

NightFlyer
08-26-2013, 09:00 PM
I was having a discussion on Facebook about the phenomenon of people disrespecting the DeLorean and and the way that they do it EXCLUSIVELY with the DeLorean.

Agree.

However, with the recent proliferation/popularity of stainless steel kitchen appliances, I've noticed a significant decrease in the number of people that touch my car at shows compared to a decade ago. Not sure if other owners have noticed this or not.

Dracula
08-26-2013, 09:04 PM
I've taken my dinged LFF to a few shows and put a sign on it that said "OK to touch THIS fender" only to wind up with it COVERED with finger prints and smudges as well as the car; apparently, people wanted to see if the fender felt the same on the car as off.

NightFlyer
08-26-2013, 09:21 PM
In the past, I regularly used three laminated

'Please Look, But Don't Touch'

signs when displaying the car at shows. In fact, you've probably seen the exact signs that I previously used, as they are quite common at Madison Classics shows (Elkhorn, Delevan, Jefferson, Waukesha) and Iola. Regardless, the car would typically end up in so many finger/hand prints that I'd feel compelled to wipe down the stainless before driving the car. This year, I've yet to display the signs, but still noticed a significant reduction vs a decade ago. Then again, I've only been to four shows this year, all of them in Michigan.

Farrar
08-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Next time some dude walks up to you and starts telling you everything he thinks you don't know about your car, wait until he's done and say "And now I have some surprising facts for you about your mother."

aipri
08-28-2013, 10:14 PM
It seems like the less people or know, or the less they THINK they know about the car, the easier they are to talk to. I've only had my car about 3 weeks but have already heard plenty of BTTF comments. The other day I am going to get something to eat and 4 kids probably about 16-17 come up to me and tell me how much they love the car and ask a few questions which I was fine with answering. It was cool to see that younger kids still appreciate the car and also cool that they asked me instead of trying to tell me about my own car.