PDA

View Full Version : Left front fenders...who needs one?

Boglin
08-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Does anyone have a good understanding of the demand for left front fenders? Maybe you know someone who needs one? Maybe you have one, but it's damaged?

Mine is mostly perfect, but has the ripples going along the top of it. Not enough to necessitate my own purchase of a new one.

stevedmc
08-26-2013, 10:38 AM
People never listen to my opinion but here it is. There is no shortage of left front fenders.

If I ever buy a parts car, the left front fender is one of the first things I will sell, and for a hefty profit thanks to everyone's fear.

Here is why there is no shortage of left front fenders.
1. Nearly every damaged fender can be repaired. People freak out about getting dents on their left front fender but don't worry as much about the rest of the car. This logic baffles my mind. Dents can be repaired. If you have more than a dent, Chris Nickolson can repair the fender for much less money than a LFF would cost.
2. The supply of LFFs are actually increasing. Believe it or not, cars don't give birth to other cars. The population of Deloreans is decreasing, not increasing. As each year goes by, more cars get damaged, totaled, wrecked (whatever you want to call it) and end up as parts cars. These cars have all sorts of panels attached to them including LFFs.
3. Because Steve said so.

NightFlyer
08-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Mine's fine - don't need one.

Patrick C
08-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Mine is mostly perfect, but has the ripples going along the top of it. Not enough to necessitate my own purchase of a new one.
Mine has the ripples as well. We have panels from an early stamping die. If you pop the trunk and look at the side of the panel where it bolts to the fiberglass, you can see the stamped ridges next to every bolt hole. Later panels eliminated some of these stamped ridges and resulted in a smoother panel.

NightFlyer
08-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Can anyone post a pic of these 'ripples,' as I'm not quite sure what you guys are referring to.

Dracula
08-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I have one with some damage by the marker light in the basement. Including it and the gas flap hood I keep didn't help sell my car, so I may be selling them off individually.

stevedmc
08-26-2013, 11:20 AM
I have one with some damage by the marker light in the basement. Including it and the gas flap hood I keep didn't help sell my car, so I may be selling them off individually.

You have a spare LFF and it isn't for sale? Dude, you could probably get $3,500 for that thing.

Dracula
08-26-2013, 11:50 AM
You have a spare LFF and it isn't for sale? Dude, you could probably get $3,500 for that thing.

Here are a few pictures to show the damage and why I haven't sold it:

stevedmc
08-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Well that makes sense right there. You will probably never need it but it makes sense to hang on to it in its current shape. It wouldn't fetch the big bucks unless you paid Chris to fix the thing up.

louielouie2000
08-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Can anyone post a pic of these 'ripples,' as I'm not quite sure what you guys are referring to.

There are slight undulations in the stainless on the top of early fenders, on the flat part of the fender which is flush with the hood. They probably aren't as severe as you are imagining; they're one of the quirks only DeLorean owners notice.

NightFlyer
08-26-2013, 01:35 PM
There are slight undulations in the stainless on the top of early fenders, on the flat part of the fender which is flush with the hood. They probably aren't as severe as you are imagining; they're one of the quirks only DeLorean owners notice.

I have a fairly early car, #1798, but don't notice any 'ripples / slight undulations' in the area you mention. I'll post pics of the tops of my fenders later to see if I do indeed have these 'ripples' and just don't/can't see them myself.

Boglin
08-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Here's what they look like. It is subtle in my garage lighting. Easier to see when you're in sunlight and have it shined up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbBql9VY5KM

Patrick C
08-26-2013, 04:20 PM
These are the stamping marks that cause the "ripple" due to the deformity of the stainless. Later panels don't have as many of these stamping marks.

louielouie2000
08-26-2013, 04:26 PM
I have a fairly early car, #1798, but don't notice any 'ripples / slight undulations' in the area you mention. I'll post pics of the tops of my fenders later to see if I do indeed have these 'ripples' and just don't/can't see them myself.

Not all early cars have the fender ripples. It seems like one of my later cars did have them on one fender, though. Just one of those hit or miss quality issues with these cars.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Lapple went through multiple body stamping dies for each body panel. Obviously a die would perform better fresh than it would at the end of its lifespan. Just another fit & finish issue these little cars suffer from.

Bill Robertson

Josh
08-27-2013, 01:40 AM
I am in the market for a LFF. I feel mine is an exception to Steve's reasoning.
My car was painted, and for good reason, the whole damn thing was full of bondo. The top corner by the a pillar was bent upwards and beaten with a hammer, and the front lower section has been cut and a new section welded on - with mild steel filler. Then some more bondo at that seam to smooth it out. To top it all off the finish is pitted on the front from god knows what. No pictures of the pitting, but here is a picture of the surgery:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k38/jschatte/Facebook/Project%2082%20Delorean/1008257_665103483503168_2138595603_o.jpg (http://s84.photobucket.com/user/jschatte/media/Facebook/Project%2082%20Delorean/1008257_665103483503168_2138595603_o.jpg.html)

NightFlyer
08-27-2013, 09:40 AM
I am in the market for a LFF. I feel mine is an exception to Steve's reasoning.
My car was painted, and for good reason, the whole damn thing was full of bondo. The top corner by the a pillar was bent upwards and beaten with a hammer, and the front lower section has been cut and a new section welded on - with mild steel filler. Then some more bondo at that seam to smooth it out. To top it all off the finish is pitted on the front from god knows what. No pictures of the pitting, but here is a picture of the surgery:

WOW - that really sucks!

Although, it does look like whoever did the repair job attempted to do a pretty decent job vs a butchered rig job.

Josh
08-27-2013, 11:27 AM
WOW - that really sucks!

Although, it does look like whoever did the repair job attempted to do a pretty decent job vs a butchered rig job.

I suppose it was not just filled with bondo. But still this repair is fair from impressive.

stevedmc
08-27-2013, 12:22 PM
That does look pretty rough. What does the other side look like?

Josh
08-27-2013, 12:27 PM
That does look pretty rough. What does the other side look like?

It makes me sad looking at it so I dont have many pictures of it lol. I will take some later this week.

NightFlyer
08-27-2013, 12:39 PM
I suppose it was not just filled with bondo. But still this repair is fair from impressive.

I guess when you've seen the kind of butchered rig jobs that I've seen (I once saw a body panel repaired with drywall/sheet-rock plaster), it only takes a little bit of effort to impress you.

NightFlyer
09-04-2013, 12:15 AM
OK, I took a look at my fenders and am now seeing the ripples that were previously described here, granted they're very subtle.