PDA

View Full Version : Horn Operability While Blinker Is Engaged

NightFlyer
08-19-2013, 02:05 PM
During the Woodward Dream Cruise this past Saturday, Steve and I discover that the horn would not sound upon depressing the stalk control while the blinker was engaged.

I was just curious as to whether this is something unique to my car or if other owners are experiencing the same thing with their cars, thus indicating a design issue.

So, can you use the horn on your D while your blinker is engaged - post your experiences in this thread!

stevedmc
08-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I tested out my horn last night. It worked perfect with both the left and right turn signal activated. Sorry man.

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Hmmm...

I'll have to get a pic of the horn in my car and post it, as you appeared convinced that it was not a stock horn. Perhaps a PO made some funky wiring modifications???

FABombjoy
08-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Your horn is either non-stock or there is something different enough to alter the tone :D

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Well, now I'm definitely curious :)

Going out to get a pic of the horn right now...

Dracula
08-22-2013, 12:13 PM
I was going to test it, but then I remembered that my horn is wired to a relay that connects to the battery to run my dual Cadillac horns.

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 12:45 PM
OK, first off, let me state that I have no idea what make/model the stock/OEM horns are, nor do I know what they look like.

Second, I don't believe that either PO (I'm the third owner of record of #1798) would have ever changed out the horns - they just weren't those kinds of owners. Thus, I'm led to believe that if they were swapped out/modified in some way, it was either a QAC or dealership move.

Third, I've read elsewhere that the alternator can affect the tone of the note that the horns produce, so I'll preface this by saying that I'm still running the stock/OEM Ducellier alternator.

With all that said, here's a couple pics of the horns on my car:

Driver's side: Mixo (Made in France) TR89 High-Note

Passenger's side: Mixo (Made in France) TR89 Low-Note

Any ideas?

FABombjoy
08-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I believe those are factory. Perhaps my low tone horn is AFU. Your horns definitely sound more manly than mine.

stevedmc
08-22-2013, 12:50 PM
OK, first off, let me state that I have no idea what make/model the stock/OEM horns are, nor do I know what they look like.

I got under Josh's car and looked at the horns the other day. They are stock.

The amazing thing is they sound much louder than stock. The condition of his car is amazing overall. Perhaps his horns sound like they would have back when they were new. They did look like NOS.

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Just looked up the horns on DMCH's website, and they show the Mixo (Made in France) TR89's as being the stock/OEM horns. So, I do indeed have stock/OEM horns.

However, all you guys seem convinced that they don't sound stock.

Any other owners with an early VIN car, still running the Ducey alternator, with stock/OEM horns, that would be willing to test whether or not you can activate your horn while the turn signal(s) is engaged?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Um, fellas: Josh is asking about the horn "button" on the steering column, not the horns themselves. Button doesn't care what's at the other end -- all it does is send juice. It would be just as happy powering Schwinn bicycle horns.

My button sends electricity to my generic parts house horns (WOLO I think) with the turn signals engaged.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 01:14 PM
OK, so it would appear that I may have a defective switch/button???

Are the horns on the same electrical circuit as the blinkers?

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Admittedly, this isn't a huge a deal - it was just something that I was morbidly curious about. :p

Interesting though how my horns supposedly sound different than other stock/OEM horns - especially since I'm still running the Ducey :cool:

FABombjoy
08-22-2013, 01:39 PM
I only heard it briefly, but it sounded to me like there is something different "sound reinforcement" wise. Like, the horns are closer to the body, different orientation, different fiberglass density in the area, or something along those lines. Something is giving them a low-frequency boost, and I want to find out what it is and then duplicate it :D

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-22-2013, 01:40 PM
OK, so it would appear that I may have a defective switch/button???

Are the horns on the same electrical circuit as the blinkers?

Same circuit as the hazard flashers.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 01:43 PM
I only heard it briefly, but it sounded to me like there is something different "sound reinforcement" wise. Like, the horns are closer to the body, different orientation, different fiberglass density in the area, or something along those lines. Something is giving them a low-frequency boost, and I want to find out what it is and then duplicate it :D

Of course, you're welcome to check it out any time!

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Same circuit as the hazard flashers.

Bill Robertson

OK, well that throws the theory that I had out the window.

In any case, it just isn't a serious enough of an issue to warrant chasing down.

I was just wondering if it may have been a design issue involving the circuit, but seeing as how no one else is experiencing this phenomenon, it's obviously an issue solely with my car specifically. Either that or the circuit was redesigned at some point during production...

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Our horns will never sound as rich and full bodied as traditional car horns because they aren't enclosed in an engine compartment. It's the same difference as a speaker enclosed in a cabinet versus one loose.

Water is what kills our horns. Rob Grady clued me in on this years ago: point the horns towards the crumple extension. Not only will this minimize water intrusion, but it gives you the most resonance possible:

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
08-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Our horns will never sound as rich and full bodied as traditional car horns because they aren't enclosed in an engine compartment. It's the same difference as a speaker enclosed in a cabinet versus one loose.

Water is what kills our horns. Rob Grady clued me in on this years ago: point the horns towards the crumple extension. Not only will this minimize water intrusion, but it gives you the most resonance possible:

Bill Robertson

All great points!

However, the horns on my car do sound pretty good - but this just might be a testament to the condition of my car in general more than anything else.

stevedmc
08-22-2013, 07:29 PM
However, the horns on my car do sound pretty good - but this just might be a testament to the condition of my car in general more than anything else.

Thats what I was thinking today. I see two reasons why your stock horns might sound better than other stock horns.

1. The car spent part of its life in a carcoon.

2. It is very well possible that we are comparing your two working horns to other Deloreans that have only one working horn. I never did verify that both of my horns worked. I simply assumed they both sucked before I replaced one of them.