PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Door Struts vs. Hervey's Softlift Struts VIDEO

Patrick C
08-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Hi gang. After being one of the ones who tried the Amazon door struts this winter, I really wasn't impressed with their performance. Mediocre at best. I installed Hervey's struts today and am blown away at the difference. Take a look at the videos I shot:

Amazon.com struts:

http://youtu.be/QN5ep1jQo9c

Hervey Softlift Struts:

http://youtu.be/e1QPhjivbtE

The Hervey struts are almost too strong with my current torsion bar settings, which are honestly adjusted on the weak side as it is! But, since I have Heninger's door strut brackets on each side, I'm not very worried about the strut mounts damaging the fiberglass.

Boglin
08-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Hi gang. After being one of the ones who tried the Amazon door struts this winter, I really wasn't impressed with their performance. Mediocre at best. I installed Hervey's struts today and am blown away at the difference. Take a look at the videos I shot:

Amazon.com struts:

http://youtu.be/QN5ep1jQo9c

Hervey Softlift Struts:

http://youtu.be/e1QPhjivbtE

The Hervey struts are almost too strong with my current torsion bar settings, which are honestly adjusted on the weak side as it is! But, since I have Heninger's door strut brackets on each side, I'm not very worried about the strut mounts damaging the fiberglass.

Nice. What kind of blending pad do you use to make it extra shiny?

Patrick C
08-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Nice. What kind of blending pad do you use to make it extra shiny?

Thanks! I just use a normal grey blending pad, however I did polish the stainless years ago with Mother's brand "Mag and Aluminum Polish" and it has stayed shinier ever since, after countless washes, living outside for many months, etc.

Doogie
08-16-2013, 09:20 PM
My Door struts act much like the Amazon ones. I found that at an undetermined previous time my cars' torsion bars were previously adjusted up a notch, so I am hesitant to adjust them further.

I would love to have Hervey's but would be worried about added stress on the mounting strut, as I don't have Heningers' improved bracket. How hard is the improved bracket to install and where can I get them? Thanks,

Doogie

Patrick C
08-16-2013, 09:51 PM
I would love to have Hervey's but would be worried about added stress on the mounting strut, as I don't have Heningers' improved bracket. How hard is the improved bracket to install and where can I get them? Thanks,

Doogie
You can buy the brackets at http://deloreannewparts.com/store/page14.html

As for installing the upgraded brackets, it takes maybe 30 minutes per side. Some drilling is necessary along with the use of a pop rivet gun. It is a great upgrade and the doors shut much nicer now that the lower bracket is back to where is should be (not ripped out of the fiberglass like it was for years).

dvonk
08-17-2013, 12:34 AM
just say no to VVS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 06:17 PM
just say no to VVS.

That was pretty funny :)

Patrick C
08-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Quick update. The "auto slowing" feature of the struts is non existent now. It worked for a few tries on the passenger side, but now the door flies open even harder than the video shows. The driver side never slowed down. I put my old struts back on before I do a torsion bar adjustment on Friday. Will update with another video then.

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Quick update. The "auto slowing" feature of the struts is non existent now. It worked for a few tries on the passenger side, but now the door flies open even harder than the video shows. The driver side never slowed down. I put my old struts back on before I do a torsion bar adjustment on Friday. Will update with another video then.

You're talking about Hervey's Soft Lifts here, correct?

Also, question about the Amazon struts - do they hold the doors upright after being manually assisted to a full open position, or do they droop back down?

Patrick C
08-20-2013, 06:33 PM
You're talking about Hervey's Soft Lifts here, correct?
Correct.

Also, question about the Amazon struts - do they hold the doors upright after being manually assisted to a full open position, or do they droop back down?
Yes, they hold them up just fine after being assisted to the fully opened position.

Bitsyncmaster
08-20-2013, 07:18 PM
I've had Hervey's soft lift struts since he first introduced them. Been about 4 or 5 years now. Still seem to have same performance as when new but I leave my doors open in the garage.

stevedmc
08-20-2013, 08:39 PM
I would never recommend a product if it didn't work fine for me. Here is my video review of the Amazon.com struts. My guess is you either have a defective strut or you need a torsion bar adjustment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZWmN36KDm4&feature=youtu.be

Patrick C
08-23-2013, 05:31 PM
http://youtu.be/9eapUS6KByI

After backing off the torsion bar one notch, the Hervey Softlift struts perform perfectly.

Patrick C
08-23-2013, 07:59 PM
http://youtu.be/FMAZyJaHQrY
Passenger side video is up. I ended up backing the bar down one notch on this side as well before filming this video.

NightFlyer
07-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Hervey's site proclaims that his door struts are German made Stabilus - can anyone confirm the validity of such a proclamation???

Specifically, do they say 'Stabilus,' 'Lift-O-Mat,' and/or 'Made in Germany' anywhere on them??? Pics of such labeling would be appreciated :)

Bitsyncmaster
07-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Hervey's site proclaims that his door struts are German made Stabilus - can anyone confirm the validity of such a proclamation???

Specifically, do they say 'Stabilus,' 'Lift-O-Mat,' and/or 'Made in Germany' anywhere on them??? Pics of such labeling would be appreciated :)

My Hervey soft lift door struts have no marking on them. These are about 5 years old so he may have changed vendors.

Chris 16409
07-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Josh, I have seen these in Person on a Friend's car! The door struts are most certainly not made in Germany. They are Stabilus, but are marked "Made in Mexico". The hood and louver struts are made in the USA. They are made in like Gastonia North Carolina. I was able to source Stabilus Louvre Struts at my Local O'rielly. I was able to get the longer ones so that my DMC-CA louver brace would function as designed. If they were made in Germany, they would be much more expensive. However, when I had Stabilus door struts from Toby, they were made in Mexico too. Not sure why the Mexico plant is making the door struts only. Also, Hervey then applies his "Special-T-Auto" sticker to the strut. It does not cover the Stabilus information. Hervey will probably say they are "German Designed" if someone calls him out on it.

NightFlyer
07-22-2015, 10:48 PM
My Hervey soft lift door struts have no marking on them. These are about 5 years old so he may have changed vendors.

Thanks for the info Dave! :thumbup:

Sounds like a job for the Wayback Machine :biggrin:

According to Hervey's site back in 2010, he offered a pair of his 'SoftLift' door struts for $69.95. And he also offered what he called "Factory Original OE Stabilus door struts in pairs" for $64.95.

So at that period in time, the 'SoftLift' and Stabilus were two different products, and you ordered and received the 'SoftLift'

https://web.archive.org/web/20100420032015/http://specialtauto.com/

Josh, I have seen these in Person on a Friend's car! The door struts are most certainly not made in Germany. They are Stabilus, but are marked "Made in Mexico". The hood and louver struts are made in the USA. They are made in like Gastonia North Carolina. I was able to source Stabilus Louvre Struts at my Local O'rielly. I was able to get the longer ones so that my DMC-CA louver brace would function as designed. If they were made in Germany, they would be much more expensive. However, when I had Stabilus door struts from Toby, they were made in Mexico too. Not sure why the Mexico plant is making the door struts only. Also, Hervey then applies his "Special-T-Auto" sticker to the strut. It does not cover the Stabilus information. Hervey will probably say they are "German Designed" if someone calls him out on it.

Thanks for the info Chris, very informative - I really appreciate it :thumbup:

The Mexican made Stabilus are actually pretty darn good IMHO, or at least the ones that were offered circa the '90's. And I actually prefer the all black appearance vs the chromed piston and end balls of the German OEMs. In fact, I'm currently running a pair of mid '90's Mexican Stabilus on my car. They still work fine, despite being around 20 years old, but the driver's side is starting to exhibit signs of weakness. I was thinking about sending them out to get professionally rebuilt, though if Hervey really does have legit NOS or current production run stocks of these available, I'll just swap them out for a new pair.

According to Tom N. (aka Tomcio, aka Deloreana.com), Stabilus hasn't made door struts that would work for the DeLorean since the discontinuation of the Mexican made ones in the early 2000's.

Their answer was that they are NOT making anything that fits our length and force requirements. The next day I received an email confirming that Stabilus in NOT making anything that would fit our cars. There was also a note stating that this information is confirmed and final.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9498-New-door-struts-black-and-stainless-Anyone-interested&p=154168&viewfull=1#post154168

I know that you were following that thread along with me and probably saw Tom's conclusion that Hervey's 'Stabilus' struts were more likely than not elaborate Chinese knock-offs. If indeed that's the case, then I'd avoid them like the plague. However, Chris Williams (UK), stated definitively that the recent set of Hervey struts that he received, in Feb of 2014, were indeed German made Stabilus.

The last set I got from John (about 6 months ago) are Stabilus made in Germany. Thought it ironic at the time sent from Europe to the States and back to Europe again!

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9498-New-door-struts-black-and-stainless-Anyone-interested&p=154150&viewfull=1#post154150

Hervey's site currently describes them as "New Delorean Updated German made " Stabilus " Soft Lift " door struts, of which he charges $19.99/ea, which seams way too cheap, even for Mexican made Stabilus, IMHO, let alone German made Stabilus. Also note how what was two separate products 5 years ago, the Stabilus and the 'SoftLift,' has now apparently been combined into a single product.

Now, the info that you provided about the struts saying 'Made in Mexico' on them makes it possible that Hervey merely has a supply of NOS Mexican Stabilus from the '90's that he's liquidating. HOWEVER, the picture shown on his website emphasizes the OEM appearance with the chromed piston and end balls, BUT, the only authentic Mexican made Stabilus that I'm aware of were all black in appearance, such as the ones I'm currently running. Tom N. also stated that Stabilus is no longer making any chromium plated piston struts due to cost and durability concerns, which is why he was only able to get all black German made Stabilus with his new production run.

According to Stabilus they stopped chrome coating piston rods in early 1990s as the black nitrate coating is cheaper to produce and more durable. Currently they do not offer chrome plated rods.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9498-New-door-struts-black-and-stainless-Anyone-interested&p=152936&viewfull=1#post152936

Needless to say, all of this combined leaves me EXTREMELY CONFUSED! :headwall:

I honestly have no idea what-in-the-hell Hervey is actually selling!?!?!?!? :confused:

Questions raised:

1) When were the Mexican made struts that you've seen purchased?
2) What color are the Mexican made struts?
3) How well do they work in your subjective observation?
4) Do they contain a 'soft lift' / end damper/slow down feature?
5) Can you possibly get and post some pics of them?

Chris Williams - if you're reading this, can you post some pics of your German made Stabilus that you obtained from Hervey in Feb of 2014?

John Hervey - if you're reading this, can you chime in and clarify exactly what it is you're selling, with pictures of the actual product and the manufacturer's markings?

Thanks everyone for your efforts on this - hopefully we'll come up with something informative that will benefit the entire community :thumbup:

NightFlyer
07-22-2015, 10:59 PM
The hood and louver struts are made in the USA.

And these are the Stabilus ones that Hervey sells?

Can you post the Stabilus part numbers for the hood and louver struts - that would be much appreciated to have as a reference :thumbup:

NightFlyer
07-22-2015, 11:29 PM
BTW - Since we're on the subject of door struts, Luke S hosts an old door strut comparison document on his website:

http://lukesandel.com/auto/delorean/infosheets/OpenInviteStrutComparison.pdf

While all of the vendor struts tested in the comparison are no longer available (having switched to updated models), it's still a valuable document for the info it provides about the OEM German made Stabilus door struts :thumbup:

Thanks Luke for hanging on to stuff like this and sharing it via your website :worship:

Chris 16409
07-23-2015, 01:04 AM
The door struts were all black. No chrome pistons. I'll have to see if my buddy can take a picture.

My buddy's hood and louvre struts were also Stabilus.

My buddy just got these from Hervey a few weeks ago. So it's from Hervey's latest batch he is currently advertising.

What ever came of Tom N's strut offering. It seemed to me it fizzled out. At least the Stabilus offering.

I will post the part number of my O'rilley Stabilus Louver struts when I have a chance.

P. J. Grady Inc.
07-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Did you guy's consider my "gas springs". They are made in the U.S. to look like the original pistons. I worked closely with the manufacturer who made them to my specifcations and they are designed to outperform and outlast both the originals and all other offerings. They are also competetively priced and have a money back warranty if you don't like them. I've sold a few hundred of them this year and have had 99% positive feedback so far.
Rob

Dead Lesbian Goat
07-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Did you guy's consider my "gas springs". They are made in the U.S. to look like the original pistons. I worked closely with the manufacturer who made them to my specifcations and they are designed to outperform and outlast both the originals and all other offerings. They are also competetively priced and have a money back warranty if you don't like them. I've sold a few hundred of them this year and have had 99% positive feedback so far.
Rob

I bought a set of temperature adjusting struts from PJ way back around the time I got my car about 4 or 5 years ago. They have worked perfectly to this day.

Oh and the bumper letters are still there too...no lost letters.

P. J. Grady Inc.
07-23-2015, 05:46 PM
I bought a set of temperature adjusting struts from PJ way back around the time I got my car about 4 or 5 years ago. They have worked perfectly to this day.

Oh and the bumper letters are still there too...no lost letters.

I'm glad to hear that Michael but just so you know no one offers true temperature compensating gas springs for a Delorean as they are too small to allow for the compensating mechanism. I've never advertised them as such although I heard rumors that Toby once offered them. I don't see how based on what several suppliers have told me over the years. There are ways to help in that regard and my new pistons have a wide range of effective opening temps. They are much better than the one's you currently have as I only introduced this new version last December. I will also be introducing a "Winter only" version for the northern regions for people who don't want to touch their Tbar adjustment but still have a fully opening door in subfreezing temperatures.

Dead Lesbian Goat
07-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Ohhh, it's been so long ago maybe I did get them from Toby. I know I got your tail light boards about the same time though (which I swear by).

stevedmc
07-23-2015, 05:58 PM
I can't wait to get my screw kit. I plan to write a review regarding the quality of Rob's screwmanship.

novadmc
07-23-2015, 07:02 PM
i picked up the amazon struts back in beginning of the year. for their price, they're good but i've the following nitpicks:
1. they weren't orientated correctly, I had to twist the strut about 1/4 turn after attaching it to the door to get the socket to align the opening with the mount on the frame.
2. even warm they dont open the doors fully. doors go about 2/3 the way up and i have to push it the rest of the way up. once they're fully up they stay up (and pretty much stay where i push them to). guess it better then having them fly up and bounce....

NightFlyer
07-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Rob

Hey Rob,

If you check your records, you'll see that back in '02 or '03, I ordered a pair of your bonnet/hood struts (along with some other goodies), after the OEM Stabilus quit, which was really weird as my 34 year old OEM Stabilus louver struts are still going strong to date. I had the Stabilus rebuilt for concours use, but otherwise run yours in general. 13 years and they're still working great! However, two weeks ago, the driver's side strut puked some hydraulic fluid onto the fender as I was closing the hood/bonnet (compressing the struts) - it required a scotchbrite to remove the drip marks from the stainless. I have some pics of the puke, but they're quite unremarkable. At first I thought it was water and was trying to figure out where it came from as I was in the garage prepping my car for a show. Then I realized that it had come from the strut and was hydraulic fluid as it had only just appeared as I was closing the hood/bonnet. I re-opened the hood/bonnet and sure enough it was wet around the pressure tube / piston junction around the outer seal. I only mention this as it completely took me by surprise. Passenger side had no issues. In no way did this extremely minor puke effect the operation of the strut and both continue to operate as new to this day.

I have no doubt as to the quality of your struts and I do consider them to be the BEST of the current offerings on the market - whenever anyone asks me for a strut recommendation, yours are the ones I mention first as being my personal preference! :thumbup:

The reason that I'm trying to figure out exactly what it is that Hervey is selling as "German made Stabilus" is more so for concours purposes, as well as subjective personal preference concerning the color scheme. Even though I've successfully had my original Stabilus professionally rebuilt in the past, I've been informed by my rebuilder that the proper seals are quickly disappearing without a new source becoming available, thus if Hervey really does have some German made color correct Stabilus, I'm interested for concours reasons. Visually/aesthetically speaking, I actually prefer an all black appearance to the OEM appearance of the chromed piston shafts and ball mounts. That's admittedly just a personal preference. Thus, if Hervey has the Mexican made Stabilus in all black, again I'm interested both because of Stabilus quality and in getting the color scheme that I actually prefer.

But again, there's no doubt in my mind that your struts are definitely superior to any of the other offerings currently on the market - of this I have no doubt based on my own personal experiences with the early 2000's set that I'm currently running on the hood/bonnet.

If I can't figure out what it is that Hervey is actually selling, I'll be ordering a set from you in the very near future - or even if I get it figured out, I'll probably place an order with you regardless.

Eventually, I'll get the various reviews of your products split off appropriately into the review section so that your products receive the attention that they rightfully deserve - I've just been a little negligent with my house keeping duties around here lately.

BTW - Can you fill us in on whatever happened to Bob Zilla and why he stopped offering his fabulous line of products? I've always been curious as to what happened to him....

stevedmc
07-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Brown noser

NightFlyer
07-23-2015, 09:45 PM
I can't wait to get my screw kit. I plan to write a review regarding the quality of Rob's screwmanship.

Based on Matt's prior experience with this kit, you may want to take a refresher course at your local community college before making any attempts at installation - How To Use A Screwdriver 101 :chad:

stevedmc
07-23-2015, 09:48 PM
It's a difficult concept to understand. This guy lost me after about 5 seconds.

https://youtu.be/WtC2_9Gawio

Dead Lesbian Goat
07-23-2015, 10:05 PM

Just think of all the bickering that could have been avoided if Rob had just sent Matt that link from the begining.

NightFlyer
07-23-2015, 10:06 PM
2. even warm they dont open the doors fully. doors go about 2/3 the way up and i have to push it the rest of the way up. once they're fully up they stay up (and pretty much stay where i push them to). guess it better then having them fly up and bounce....

One thing I've never understood about the DeLorean community in general is the desire of owners to have the doors fully open without the need for manual assistance - honestly, on what other vehicle that one owns do you ever fully open the door without manually guiding it to such a position (this is a rhetorical question directed at the community as a whole and not at you directly)? So why should the DeLorean be any different?

I actually prefer to manually assist my doors to a fully open position - this assures that I'll never overstress the strut ball mountings in the fiberglass and may even assist in preventing roof box separation issues in the long term, not to mention possibly extending the useful life of the struts and torsion bars. And I think it looks cooler than just letting the doors fly up on their own :cool:

It's been a while since I've seen the BTTF films, though if my memory serves me well on this, I believe that Fox and Lloyd were constantly manually assisting the doors to the full open position (granted some of this had to do with the temperature changes that blasting the car with dry ice to simulate temporal dispersion from time travel caused).

Regardless, I have a feeling that I'll be in a rather small minority (possibly of one) with this preference - but that's how I feel and I'm sticking to my guns :gun:

That said, I do expect the torsion bar / strut to hold the door in the full open position once it's there, without any drooping, even in strong wind and/or while driving with the doors open (such as during a parade route or designated cruise situation).

But one thing you'll never hear from me is bitching about how a strut doesn't fully open the door on its own without manual assistance - IMHO, they shouldn't fully open the door without some kind of manual assistance!

Anyway, you're now free to give me your best shot on how I'm a complete moron for having such a position on this issue :lou:

Bitsyncmaster
07-24-2015, 04:15 AM
Another thing that some owners don't like is the effort to close the doors. What's the big deal with that? A lot of cars I've owned always needed the doors to be shut with a little slam.

novadmc
07-24-2015, 05:28 AM
One thing I've never understood about the DeLorean community in general is the desire of owners to have the doors fully open without the need for manual assistance - honestly, on what other vehicle that one owns do you ever fully open the door without manually guiding it to such a position (this is a rhetorical question directed at the community as a whole and not at you directly)? So why should the DeLorean be any different?

I get what you're saying. I guess its just more of expectations vs reality. I definitely dont want them flying up and banging and potentially damaging the car. I don't mind giving a little manual assistance either. I guess my "gripe" is that the pistons feel a little... stiff when manually pushing the doors. could just be the set i got honestly. after seeing steve's video of the struts in action and reading other's experiences, i was just a little bummed they didnt open as far up (before any assistance) for me as they do for others.

That said, I do expect the torsion bar / strut to hold the door in the full open position once it's there, without any drooping, even in strong wind and/or while driving with the doors open (such as during a parade route or designated cruise situation).

agreed. here i will say the new struts work great. once fully open the doors stay put, even on windy or cool days. the prior struts would sag (especially the driver's door) several inches even when warm with no wind at all.

Another thing that some owners don't like is the effort to close the doors. What's the big deal with that? A lot of cars I've owned always needed the doors to be shut with a little slam.

again, possibly expectation vs reality. videos showing people closing the doors doesn't really convey the effort involved. some videos make it look like the door needs light pressure to solidly close. yet in reality, they do require a bit of force to get them sealed nice and tight (at least in my experience).

NightFlyer
07-24-2015, 12:37 PM

again, possibly expectation vs reality. videos showing people closing the doors doesn't really convey the effort involved. some videos make it look like the door needs light pressure to solidly close. yet in reality, they do require a bit of force to get them sealed nice and tight (at least in my experience).

Not sure what struts Luke is running on his car, though the difference in the effort required to lower the doors in order to close them is about five fold the effort required on my car with the Mexican Stabilus. I'm also pretty sure that Luke messed with his torsion bars (perhaps multiple times), whereas my torsion bars haven't been messed with at all and are still where Dunmurry and/or the QAC set them.

The additional effort required to lower Luke's doors, as compared to mine, completely took me by surprise, as I believe it's the first time I ever manipulated the doors on a car other than my own since the late '90's / early 2000's.

That's not saying anything bad about Luke's doors - to the contrary, they do fully open without manual assistance required and the process of actually closing them (once lowered) is smooth as butter and the BEST I've seen on any car! I know that he spent quite a bit of time and effort refining the alignment/mount of the doors to get them as perfect as can be, and his efforts definitely show in the results. Others can see exactly what I'm talking about here at Andrew's tech day - it really is quite slick IMHO.

The effort required to actually close my doors (once lowered) and get them secured on both striker pins does require a bit of force and/or precision, often requiring repeated attempts before getting it just right - especially for passengers unfamiliar with my car. The effort required to close Luke's doors (once lowered) is minimal and you get a perfect close on the first time every time.

All that said, I do prefer the ease of lowering my doors, thus I think I'll keep my torsion bar settings where they're at and attempt to find struts that operate similar to if not secure another set of the Mexican Stabilus (again, I also prefer the all black finish of these vs the OEM color scheme of the chromed piston and ball mounts), though I do wish that they actually closed like Luke's. Perhaps I can get Luke to fiddle with my doors at the upcoming tech day, though I'm sure to get as good as Luke's requires days/months of constant microscopic re-adjustment.

As an aside, my doors do currently fully seal once fully closed - thus I have NO water or air leakage into the cabin via the doors once closed.

NightFlyer
07-24-2015, 12:42 PM

But that guy is a better teacher than Jaime Escalante :biggrin:

NightFlyer
07-24-2015, 12:53 PM
I guess my "gripe" is that the pistons feel a little... stiff when manually pushing the doors.

That's interesting.

Does anyone know for sure if the Strong-Arms have a damper valve built in or not (the purpose of which would be to slow the extension of the strut at its last 20% or so of travel)?

EDIT: Just re-watched Steve's video, and from what I can tell, it does look like there's a damper near the end of travel on the Strong-Arms. If so, then the presence of the damper valve would explain the stiffness that you're describing novadmc, and is normal for a strut using a damper valve.

NightFlyer
07-24-2015, 01:06 PM
Just think of all the bickering that could have been avoided if Rob had just sent Matt that link from the begining.

BAWHAHAHAHAH :hysterical:

I just saw your comment on that guy's screwdriver's tutorial.

:michael:

FABombjoy
07-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Not sure what struts Luke is running on his car, though the difference in the effort required to lower the doors in order to close them is about five fold the effort required on my car with the Mexican Stabilus. I'm also pretty sure that Luke messed with his torsion bars (perhaps multiple times), whereas my torsion bars haven't been messed with at all and are still where Dunmurry and/or the QAC set them.
Right now I'm running a set of Hervey's Stabilus struts from a few years back. They are way too strong, I agree! The torsion bars are actually undertorqued in relation to the slightly-open rule of thumb. I'd adjusted them lower for warm weather driving and to preserve their lifespan. I'd like to try a set of Rob's new struts and see if they don't calm down a bit.

I did spend considerable time on trying to get my doors to close smoothly. It's probably 90% door seal alignment and 10% striker pin alignment. Final striker alignment should be made while closing the door from the middle and not the back. When you grab the handle to close the door, the effort exerted against the strut will torque the door ever so slightly, especially if you have overcharged struts. Its definitely important to completely discard any notion of panel alignment during the process as you'll adjust the fender/quarter to match when you're done.

Having a functioning air extraction system would help as well, although this may affect later builds more. Things are even easier for me when a window is down (opposite door window, it's not a counterbalance issue)

NightFlyer
07-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Right now I'm running a set of Hervey's Stabilus struts from a few years back.

Thanks for chiming in - that's good info! :thumbup:

The cabin air extractors on my car (behind the black plastic vent covers on the b-pillar, or as the factory calls them, quarter louvres) are open - I confirmed this using an air compressor blower nozzle back when I first purchased my car.

Curious about your Hervey Stabilus (sorry, I don't recall what they look like even though I've seen them many times in person). What color are they? Do they contain any markings? Does it say where they're made? Do they have a damper at the end of travel? Did you buy them when he was advertising them as 'when available?' Any pics of them that you could post (showing the markings would be best)?

Thanks dude - really appreciate your responses :thumbup:

NightFlyer
07-24-2015, 01:40 PM
The door struts were all black. No chrome pistons. I'll have to see if my buddy can take a picture.

My buddy's hood and louvre struts were also Stabilus.

My buddy just got these from Hervey a few weeks ago. So it's from Hervey's latest batch he is currently advertising.

What ever came of Tom N's strut offering. It seemed to me it fizzled out. At least the Stabilus offering.

I will post the part number of my O'rilley Stabilus Louver struts when I have a chance.

Thanks Chris - I really appreciate it (and judging by the PM's I've received over this subject, I'm guessing that quite a few other owners/members also appreciate it) :thumbup:

As to Tom N's Stabilus offering, as far as I know, it's still in the works (he said that lead times were long and he was constantly getting back-burnered by larger/other orders coming in at Stabilus), but it has been close to a year now since he first announced the project and I haven't seen any updates from him lately, so I honestly don't know what became of that project. I'll see if I can't contact him and get some info, though I know that he was also dealing with some urgent family emergencies and possibly his own health related issues/concerns. In any case, I hope he's doing well :)

The stainless struts that he was looking at doing via another manufacturer, which a bunch of Talker's claimed to have wanted, died when he received only two actual confirmations (one on Talk and one on the DML) when it came time to put up the money.

Chris 16409
07-24-2015, 02:59 PM
These are the Stabilus Struts I bought from O'Reilly # SG359029:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SAC1/SG359029/N0876.oap?ck=Search_N0876_-1_-1&pt=N0876&ppt=C0325

I had Toby's Stabilus louver struts before, but one of them failed. I simply took the good one into O'Reilly and they took measurements and matched it up to the one in their book. I also made sure to match the force and close as possible to what Toby's were. The ones from O'Reilly are just a tad longer but the work even better with my Louver Brace. These give great access to the engine bay and the engine cover is lifted much higher. They also come with a limited lifetime warranty.

FABombjoy
07-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Curious about your Hervey Stabilus (sorry, I don't recall what they look like even though I've seen them many times in person). What color are they? Do they contain any markings? Does it say where they're made? Do they have a damper at the end of travel? Did you buy them when he was advertising them as 'when available?' Any pics of them that you could post (showing the markings would be best)?
Purchased in 2009. They don't seem to be dampened. Snapped a quick pic for ya.

NightFlyer
07-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Thanks much Luke - appreciate it! :thumbup:

I'll get some pics of my Mexican Stabilus and post them as well.

NightFlyer
07-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Managed to get some pics of my Mexican Stabilus:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-28-2015, 08:33 PM
My Strongarm struts are Made in South Carolina (AVM Industries).

Bill Robertson

P. J. Grady Inc.
07-29-2015, 05:05 PM
Managed to get some pics of my Mexican Stabilus:

The funny but not coincidental thing is that my door gas springs look a lot more like the original Stabilus gas springs than these do now. I made mine to look like the originals while they, purposely I would think, made theirs look different. Go figure?
Rob

NightFlyer
07-29-2015, 07:38 PM
The funny but not coincidental thing is that my door gas springs look a lot more like the original Stabilus gas springs than these do now. I made mine to look like the originals while they, purposely I would think, made theirs look different. Go figure?
Rob

I'll be ordering a set of your door struts later tonight :thumbup:

FABombjoy
07-31-2015, 12:54 PM
Got my struts yesterday and put one on the passenger side to see how it goes!

First - my memory is failing and my torsion bars are definitely on the high end. Will have to rectify this sooner than later.

Second - the struts are nice! Solid lift but an nice gentle finish at the top. No more bounce-bounce-bounce like the Stabilus.

NightFlyer
07-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Got my struts yesterday and put one on the passenger side to see how it goes!

First - my memory is failing and my torsion bars are definitely on the high end. Will have to rectify this sooner than later.

Second - the struts are nice! Solid lift but an nice gentle finish at the top. No more bounce-bounce-bounce like the Stabilus.

I ordered a set of Grady's yesterday, as I needed some in time for doors open cruising at Woodward - good to hear that you like 'em! :thumbup:

In comparing your Stabilus to mine, I noticed a different part number, 5285BV (is this correct) vs 867691, respectively, though the force rating was the same for both at 1200N. I also noticed that yours were a B 2, while mine are an A 2 - any idea as to what those last two digits represent/mean??? The other numbers are simply the day and year of manufacture.