PDA

View Full Version : Pay Attention Young Cricket

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-06-2015, 01:18 PM
I won't make you wait for the punch line: http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-562-Tile-Cutting-Bit/dp/B00004UDIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446832764&sr=8-1

Backstory: cast iron toilet flange at the church got so rusty around the T bolts that it wasn't holding the toilet to the floor anymore (one slot was broken off altogether, other was missing too much metal to hold the T bolt). Every time you flushed the toilet water ran all over the floor.

Lowes sells a steel plate with T bolt slots that overlays the original flange and screws to the floor with ears hanging off of it (Tapcons into the concrete in this case). Sounds simple enough. Unbeknownst to me this cast iron flange extends far beyond the wax ring (in my own defense you couldn't see that through two subsequent layers of vinyl and the original asbestos tiles). I don't know what kind of cast iron they were making in 1964, but this stuff is *TOUGH*. Ate up a couple of HSS drill bits even with cutting oil and slow speed. Eventually I resorted to hammer drilling through the cast iron, which is brutal on your arms but does work for 3 of the 4 holes. That's where the Dremel bit comes in.

Snapped off the carbide tipped end of the Tapcon bit in the 4th hole. Now I had a carbide tip embedded in the world's hardest cast iron which had to be removed if the little kids were ever going to use their toilet again.

Dremel 562 bits are made of solid carbide. Unlike the 9902 carbide bit they have teeth on the end so you can use them as drill bits. Those things have saved my life more times than I can count on my fingers and toes combined (I buy them in multiple lots off eBay). Wore down two bits eating out the snapped off carbide tip, but it eventually came out. I finished off the hole with the carbide cutter, then widened it out to 3/16" with another masonry bit -- I should have done all 4 holes that way in the first place.

Anyway, if you do not buy several 562 bits to use with your Dremel tool, you are dumber than I am. You have been warned. I use them to eat out snapped off bolts, make holes through leaf springs, cut into hidey holes where other no other implement will reach, etc. Being made of carbide they are brittle, so if the bit ever starts dancing around you will likely snap it off -- that's why you need multiples.

Pay attention Young Cricket -- these are pearls of wisdom.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
11-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Forgot to mention: Lowes sells a "Jumbo" oversized wax gasket. With this repair I decided it would be a good investment. The damn thing is at least 2 inches thick. It is a massive piece of wax. When I first set the toilet on top it was sitting so high off the floor that the T bolts barely cleared the base. I like to never got it squished down. I am reasonably confident this toilet will never leak again (at least not at the waste drain).

Bill Robertson

Boglin
11-06-2015, 01:42 PM
I like the jumbo wax rings, but not the ones that are reinforced with metal inside. There's always a chance that the toilet will "bottom out" on the metal reinforcement and never sit correctly.

Boo
11-06-2015, 02:25 PM
I thought I was a grasshopper, not a cricket. :(

Mind blown...