PDA

View Full Version : Supporting mod for the rubber intake gasket 102772 (GSKT-LWR HSG/T/V)

FABombjoy
08-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Just thought I'd share my recent mod to this NLA piece.

It's rare for these to fail but they don't seem to be available anymore. As long as your intake & metering assembly is lined up correctly I'd expect them to last a long time.

Right now I'm in the final stages of installing a single turbo using the intake pipes from a BAE kit. Unfortunately the throttle body pipes for this kit leave this gasket unsupported and the leverage from the pipes make it very easy to twist. This is one step the Island kit got right as they included a support bracket. The potential for unmetered air in a turbo setup is not acceptable and something had to be done.

So.. 3M Windowweld urethane to the rescue!

It's ugly because I haven't fully cleaned it up. This pic didn't turn out well but I basically completely filled the outer groove of the gasket. It sticks to everything (wear gloves!) and is a pain to work with but it gets the job done. This is an old trick for stiffening motor mounts or other rubber parts and you can usually pick Windowwel up at Advance / Autozone. If you needed to fill a large piece, buying liquid urethane & hardener would probably be easier.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how well mine will work in a stock application. This piece has no compressibility to it now. But I think if you were to clean and fill one, then lightly reinstall everything before it cures, you'd be good to go.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
08-02-2015, 09:16 AM
It sticks to everything (wear gloves!) and is a pain to work with but it gets the job done.

Lacquer thinner.

Bill Robertson

FABombjoy
08-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Lacquer thinner.
Acetone works too. Will try lacquer thinner next time and see if it's more effective.

FABombjoy
08-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Part is reinstalled. Now the only thing that moves are the metal brackets holding the fuel metering assembly to the intake manifold. Success!

Gary
08-02-2015, 10:08 PM
I have been working on a new design to replace the rubber part with an aluminum one. It's primarily designed to open up the throttle assembly and increase air flow. I have been running a prototype on my car for a month now and am close starting production. I'll post some pictures tomorrow as all of my images are at my office. Here is a quick picture of it on the car. Look closely you can see it where the old gasket use to be.

Gary

NightFlyer
08-03-2015, 01:39 AM
I have been working on a new design to replace the rubber part with an aluminum one. It's primarily designed to open up the throttle assembly and increase air flow. I have been running a prototype on my car for a month now and am close starting production. I'll post some pictures tomorrow as all of my images are at my office. Here is a quick picture of it on the car. Look closely you can see it where the old gasket use to be.

Gary

I'm officially intrigued :thumbup:

And welcome to the forum - good to have you aboard :wave:

NightFlyer
08-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Will try lacquer thinner next time and see if it's more effective.

Lacquer thinner works like a champ on that stuff :thumbup:

NightFlyer
08-03-2015, 01:42 AM
Part is reinstalled. Now the only thing that moves are the metal brackets holding the fuel metering assembly to the intake manifold. Success!

Gary
08-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Here is a 3D image of the spacer plate. The machinist is suppose to have the first production part this week but I have been put on the back burner again until a larger project is finished. It's frustrating sometimes. I have been working on this for a year now between designing revisions prototypes and delays like this.

A brief description;

My new throttle spacer plate is designed to increase air flow in the K-jet intake setup.

Basically with the OEM design, there is a restrictive rubber fitting between the metering intake and the butterfly assembly. My new plates interior profile matches the throttle butterfly assembly profile with no air restriction. It is machined aluminum with O ring seals. I am happy with the prototype on my car. It is a very nice part well designed and high quality.

Once I get the first production part I'll take some pictures. At that time I'll know the production costs. I'll sell them through e-bay and these forums.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I couldn't resist responding because of what I have been up to. I plan on setting up a new thread once I have the plates in production.

Gary

NightFlyer
08-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Here is a 3D image of the spacer plate. The machinist is suppose to have the first production part this week but I have been put on the back burner again until a larger project is finished. It's frustrating sometimes. I have been working on this for a year now between designing revisions prototypes and delays like this.

A brief description;

My new throttle spacer plate is designed to increase air flow in the K-jet intake setup.

Basically with the OEM design, there is a restrictive rubber fitting between the metering intake and the butterfly assembly. My new plates interior profile matches the throttle butterfly assembly profile with no air restriction. It is machined aluminum with O ring seals. I am happy with the prototype on my car. It is a very nice part well designed and high quality.

Once I get the first production part I'll take some pictures. At that time I'll know the production costs. I'll sell them through e-bay and these forums.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I couldn't resist responding because of what I have been up to. I plan on setting up a new thread once I have the plates in production.

Gary

I'm already sold, so you have at least one customer!

Sounds and looks like a great piece - looking forward to production :thumbup:

FABombjoy
08-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Neat, I wish I would have known sooner :)

SCosgrove
08-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Will definitely be looking for this when it becomes available. Any idea on an estimated selling cost?

Boo
08-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Hey Grover ! Whats up Steve? Im still sporting your door ajar shirt!

Gary
08-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Here is the latest 3D image just before the machining will begin.

I am suppose to have my first part late this week. (we'll see). The price is hovering about $114 each with free shipping to the continental US. The throttle plates will be made in batches of 24 out of 8 foot bars of 5/8 x 5 6061 aluminum. It will come with vitron "O" rings installed and stainless hardware.

When I get the first plate. I'll wright up a new thread.

Gary

NightFlyer
08-10-2015, 11:35 PM
Here is the latest 3D image just before the machining will begin.

Dude, you literally have me salivating here

http://southdakotagamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/homer-simpson-drooling-a.jpg

DMC5180
08-11-2015, 10:41 PM
+2

Gary
08-24-2015, 10:24 PM
The first pre production plates are here!

Here are some images of the plates compared to the original gasket. You can see the difference of the inside diameter. I'm placing an order for the first batch tomorrow. When it's ready I'll wright up a new thread.

Gary

These last images are the gasket and throttle plate on an empty butterfly assembly. You can see how the original OEM gasket chokes the intake air. This new plate will open up the air flow.

Thanks for being patient. I'm currently assembling the hardware and shipping materials together.

FABombjoy PM me with your shipping address so I can send you one of these plates for taking over your thread.

NightFlyer
08-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Mark me down for one when available - those look INCREDIBLE!!! :thumbup:

Gary
08-28-2015, 12:48 PM
It is starting to feel like things are in motion. I just made a deposit to the machinist. He said that he'll make the first batch the weekend of the 5th. The plates are being cut from a 12' long aluminum bar. He should get about 36-39 plates from that.

Here is one of the pre-production plates installed on my car.

It's getting much closer.

Gary

NightFlyer
08-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Pure AWESOMENESS!!!

It even looks better installed than the OEM rubber, IMHO :biggrin:

Just wondering if any vendors have expressed an interest in carrying your plates, as they'd be crazy not to IMHO?

DMC5180
08-28-2015, 02:37 PM
It is starting to feel like things are in motion. I just made a deposit to the machinist. He said that he'll make the first batch the weekend of the 5th. The plates are being cut from a 12' long aluminum bar. He should get about 36-39 plates from that.

Here is one of the pre-production plates installed on my car.

It's getting much closer.

Gary

It appears you last photo did not upload correctly. Can you try it again?

NightFlyer
08-28-2015, 02:46 PM
It appears you last photo did not upload correctly. Can you try it again?

Hmm.... it worked for me???

Let me know if you can see this Dennis:

http://www.dmctoday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5798

DMC5180
08-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Nope. Just a little blue box with a ? mark. If I click on the box, I get an error message: Attachment Invalid specified, please notify administrator.

It did not load via tapatalk either

on the original post it is a live link: Attachment 5798

Nothing loads when click on it.

Gary
08-29-2015, 12:27 AM
Here I have uploaded the image again hope this works.

Here is another interesting one. I place the plate on top of the oem gasket to show the inside profile difference.

Gary

DMC5180
08-29-2015, 08:22 AM
That worked,

Was their a specific reason for your unique lug design not being symmetrical front to back?

Gary
08-29-2015, 11:46 AM
The lugs are that way for strength. The reason I think the original gasket is rubber is for misalignment of the fuel metering assembly. I've written instructions for installation to check for alignment. You can see on your car that the fuel injection assembly is mounted on just two brackets and bolted to the rubber gasket. I had to shim my metering assembly at the brackets with a couple of washers and it worked great. The tabs are beefed up for that purpose.

Gary

Gary
09-05-2015, 08:53 PM
The plates were finished the other day and I have been packaging them up.

If you want one now they are $114 each. Send funds to my paypal account: gswaldal@msn.com Make sure your mailing address is correct.

There are only 38 available so get them while they last!

They officially go up for sale Tuesday unless they are already gone. If that be the case another batch will be available in about 3 weeks.

Gary

DMC5180
09-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Gary,

PM Sent

NightFlyer
09-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Order placed - thanks Gary! :thumbup:

BTW - I noticed on the other forum that you were promoting this project as a potential performance modification (freer flowing than original), and while I'm sure it will achieve some slight gains, the bigger reason, at least to me anyway, for someone wanting one of these is the fact that the OEM part being rubber, and located in a place where it's constantly being subjected to wild temperature swings, will not last forever and OEM replacements are NLA.

In fact, there has been quite a few known failures of the original/OEM part lately, and I'm certain many more to come in the near future....

Definitely one of the right parts at the right time IMHO!

Next to Michael's auto trans filter, this is one of the BEST projects that has been undertaken in our community in the last decade.

Kudos to you my friend, and I'm looking forward to receiving your product :thumbup:

Bitsyncmaster
09-06-2015, 04:20 AM
The lugs are that way for strength. The reason I think the original gasket is rubber is for misalignment of the fuel metering assembly. I've written instructions for installation to check for alignment. You can see on your car that the fuel injection assembly is mounted on just two brackets and bolted to the rubber gasket. I had to shim my metering assembly at the brackets with a couple of washers and it worked great. The tabs are beefed up for that purpose.

Gary

The air Assembly "floats" so I bolt the front all down tight before I tighten down on those two rear brackets. I use a thicker gasket on my "W" pipe so that changes it a little also.

Gary
09-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Posted a thread in the parts for sale category. Check out the new wright up.

Gary