PDA

View Full Version : Door Struts - How Do You Prefer Them?

NightFlyer
07-23-2015, 11:31 PM
As a perfect door strut doesn't exist, the door struts that you choose to run on your car will contain a compromise of some sort. As there are several different configurations possible, I just thought I'd pose this question to our community - how do you prefer your door struts?

Temp a concern options means that you live in a place that experiences significant seasonal temperature changes.

Temp not a concern options means that you live in a place that experiences a fairly consistent temperature range year round.

The addition of a damper valve will often make it so that more force is required to close the door vs struts that do not contain a damper valve.

Vote now :thumbup:

Bitsyncmaster
07-24-2015, 04:10 AM
When you have a damper, you can run a little higher adjustment on the torsion bar to compensate for cold weather operation. It also compensates as the struts age and get weak.

NightFlyer
07-24-2015, 12:46 PM
When you have a damper, you can run a little higher adjustment on the torsion bar to compensate for cold weather operation. It also compensates as the struts age and get weak.

To be honest, I'd personally prefer NOT to mess with the torsion bars at all... ever.

FABombjoy
07-24-2015, 01:13 PM
To be honest, I'd personally prefer NOT to mess with the torsion bars at all... ever.
Get that roof box screwed in place and you might get your wish!

Dracula
07-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Ironically, now that I live in Houston, temperature is more of a concern. If I drive the car across the country, my doors sag more. If I take the car out at night, the doors sag more. In the midwest, I never drove the car in the winter, so I only saw sagging in October and November; right before I put the car away.

I would love adjustable struts that let me adjust them instead of the torsion bar.

The torsion bar is one of the few systems on the car that scares me.