PDA

View Full Version : Carb Conversion - OVERHEAT!!!! Bill, please help.

rundmc
06-28-2015, 04:31 PM
So with the vehicle still on jack stands (thankfully), we were idling and refilling the a/c system and we quickly noticed the car overheat and the antifreeze boil and leak out. I'm concerned that something that I unplugged in the teardown was not plugged back in on the rebuild with the carb. However, I was to understand that the TTS is no longer needed, so can someone tell me what I need to do? I'm really stumped.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Bleed the air out.

May I humbly suggest a radiator self bleeder in addition to the standard thermostat neck self bleeder. Makes refilling the cooling system a snap --- just fill it up and start the engine: http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1417-Self-Bleeders

If you fill the coolant expansion tank all the way up it will spit out excess coolant as the coolant expands, just like an old fashioned (non-recovery) radiator. There will always be an air gap at the top of the coolant expansion tank, about halfway up or so. Make sure your overflow hose isn't pointed at the exhaust system or you will get a heart stopping cloud of steam.

Bill Robertson

Bitsyncmaster
06-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Were your cooling fans running? I would hope so since you were running the AC.

Boo
06-28-2015, 06:00 PM
What bill is saying is run the car let the thermostat open, and then gently
Remove the top small radiator hose on the pass side.
When the air all comes out and rad fluid is spurting out gently put it back on.
When I first took my D around the block I overheated too and that was the problem.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Actually what Bill is saying is reroute that bleeder hose to a tee in the heater core return line, then it will bleed the radiator automatically -- no need to pull that hose off ever again.

Bill Robertson

tom kish vin.4357
06-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Actually what bill was saying at the midwest open house was he wished lou and boo was there!!

Boo
01-26-2016, 01:59 PM
Actually what bill was saying at the midwest open house was he wished lou and boo was there!!
Really? I doubt that. You sure won't catch him sending any nice words my way anymore, that's for sure!

Boglin
01-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Really? I doubt that. You sure won't catch him sending any nice words my way anymore, that's for sure!

Timely response, Lou!!!

:lou:

Dead Lesbian Goat
01-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Timely response, Lou!!!

:lou:

https://youtu.be/DZD95uehQFE

Boo
01-26-2016, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I'm quick !

I'm trying to find info on my carb's falling on its face problem and it's not just at low rpms. If I put the car in gear and have the rpms up high, let off the gas completely, when I push on the pedal it still stumbles from closed to open throttle plates. Thinking of putting in new accelerator pump, or just swapping back to the original carb that was on this Peugeot manifold even though that carb had stripped jet threads.
I went from having the worlds fastest naturally aspirated prv delorean to the most stumbly off the line one.
Since our falling out, Bill sweared he would never help me again. I'm trying to research the site to find info.

sprofita
02-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I'm quick !

I'm trying to find info on my carb's falling on its face problem and it's not just at low rpms. If I put the car in gear and have the rpms up high, let off the gas completely, when I push on the pedal it still stumbles from closed to open throttle plates. Thinking of putting in new accelerator pump, or just swapping back to the original carb that was on this Peugeot manifold even though that carb had stripped jet threads.
I went from having the worlds fastest naturally aspirated prv delorean to the most stumbly off the line one.
Since our falling out, Bill sweared he would never help me again. I'm trying to research the site to find info.

Well, thats pretty shitty! Hows it coming along?

stevedmc
02-22-2016, 04:30 PM
I'm confused. Did the carb conversion have something to do with the car overheating?

SteveSux
02-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Thinking of putting in new accelerator pump, or just swapping back to the original carb that was on this Peugeot manifold even though that carb had stripped jet threads.Check that your timing is not too low. If that's not the problem, swapping the carbs is exactly what to do (possibly eliminates the current carb or proves it is the problem)....

Boo
02-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Rob, timing was never changed just swapped carbs and it falls in its face. I have to try the original carb again someday soon. I THINK the only difference between the two is the full throttle enrichment valve is plugged in the newer one.

When it's a carb issue and it even stumps Bill Robertson himself, who knows how to remedy it.

Maybe I'll just use the older carb (even with its stripped jet threads)

Boo
02-22-2016, 04:53 PM
I'm confused. Did the carb conversion have something to do with the car overheating?

Silly boy! Even I know that can't be related. The OP didn't burp the radiator from what I gathered.

NightFlyer
02-22-2016, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I'm quick !

What kind of fuel filter are your running and how often do you change them?

Boo
02-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Hmm I do have the same fuel filter that I got in Bills carb conversion kit years back. But how could that cause a change in the 15 minutes it takes to swap a carb?

SteveSux
02-22-2016, 07:29 PM
It would probably be fine on the low end, and act up under heavy load and surly at high RPM as long as you held it open (bronc/surge over and over)if it was the filter...

Boo
02-22-2016, 07:43 PM
It would probably be fine on the low end, and act up under heavy load and surly at high RPM as long as you held it open (bronc/surge over and over)if it was the filter...

And mines the exact opposite of that...

SteveSux
02-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Maybe use some fuel rated epoxy on the jet threads,and swap the carbs for a test....?