PDA

View Full Version : PBS Sucks

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-06-2015, 12:37 AM
Just watched a documentary on PBS about women in rock. They devoted 10 full minutes to Aretha Franklin, even though she really is blues/soul, but totally bypassed *ALL* of Phil Spector's girl groups (Darlene Love excepted). Gave a shout out to Joan Baez, even though she is folk, but totally bypassed Linda Ronstadt. Went on & on about Carole King's Tapestry album, but totally bypassed Carly Simon. Stevie Nicks got about 10 seconds of screen time. Karen Carpenter got zero. Debbie Harry represented for punk/new wave, but Go Go's/Bangles/Bananarama were MIA. Of course Madonna got her 10 minutes, but Lady Gaga (21st century rendition thereof) was only mentioned in passing alongside Adele and Alicia Keys. Joan Jett only provided "I Love Rock & Roll" as an uncredited background track for an overly long segment on a girls' rock & roll summer camp being offered by a former Bikini Kill member. Tori Amos/Sarah McLachlan/Fiona Apple were counted off on a music critics fingers as examples of 1990's singer/songwriters (Cheryl Crow didn't deserve a finger? Or Alanis Morissette?) Lengthy segment on Bonnie Raitt, but not a peep about Melissa Etheridge. Tracy Chapman is black, so I guess that's why she was left off. (That said, Tina Turner also is black, trotted out as an example of a female rocker 70 years on, but not Cher). Overly long segment on Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Wanna Have Fun" as a girl power anthem, but not a peep about Shania Twain's "I Feel Like a Woman" (or for that matter Aretha Franklin's "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman"). Altogether a very incomplete portrayal of its ostensible subject matter.

Stick to Beatles documentaries.

Bill Robertson

Boo
06-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Did you ever see the vh1 Monkees documentary. Not bad.

I can't listen to female singers. I don't know why. I guess I'm sexist when it comes to vocalists.
No Beatles documentaries for me, but let's not get into that again. LOL :p

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Female artists have dominated popular music for nearly a quarter century now. As American music moguls pursued manufactured boy bands in the 1990's, vacuum was created for a plethora of female "singer/songwriters". Not only performers themselves, but also female music consumers tasted blood and haven't looked back since. Female purchasing power is increasing as male purchasing power decreases, so I don't expect the trend to stop anytime soon (mirrors trends in other traditionally male areas such as automobile purchasing and banking & investing). You may not like female singers, but if you're going to listen to pop radio you'd better get used to hearing them.

Bill Robertson